saginaw steering box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: saginaw steering box

when turning the steering wheel it was stiff & felt like as if it were full of rocks, ( only in one direction the other way was smooth)took it off , cleaned it & pulled it apart. found the upper cup & cone to be rusty, lower in good shape. I've seen the parts available in the S.I. catalog, but I need the worm as the inner race/cup is part of it. They list it as call for availability, The questions are what are the chances? & how much? looks like the worm is pressed on the shaft & held with splines, anybody ever remove one from the shaft? Thinking about removing it & regrinding the just the checked cone/race. losing that 10 grand or so of length won't be an issue because of the adjustable nut for setting axial clearance.any thought on that? Oh by the way ordered the cc655 coil springs yesterday, can't wait for them to come in.

The worm gear is considered to be part of the shaft and not replaceable by itself. You should be able to find a new or good used shaft, part #534525, from one of the SDC vendors probably for less than any machine work would cost.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Just a heads up about Saginaw steering boxes...
      When you run into issues finding parts try asking the local Forklift and hyster parts dealers. They still use the old style boxes, just don't make the mistake of asking Caterpillar Hyster parts dealers... unless you're looking to create IBS for your pocketbook.

Comment

Dwain, is that a saginaw part number you referenced? We have a forklifrt service guy that comes in regularly, I'm going to see if he can help

Comment

No, that's a Studebaker number. When I quoted that number I was assuming this is for your '53 coupe with manual steering?

Comment

yes you are correct, s.i. was supposed to call to day with pricing & availability(called them Monday). Do you know any other vendors I can try?

Comment

I guess I'd start with Bob Peterson (candbstudebakers) or Bo Markham. You can PM them by clicking on 'Private Messages' in the header at the top of this page.

Comment

Just went thru Saginaw overhaul including 3 weeks of trying to find new pressure and return hoses. SI had NOS pressure hose but installing 60 year old rubber hose in a difficult area to access, did not make sense. Ended up having Hampton Rubber, 757-722 9818 , make new hoses (pressure and return) using old connectors; total cost was about $95. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Comment

Working...
                X