Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got any '51-60 V8 pushrods you aren't ever going to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got any '51-60 V8 pushrods you aren't ever going to use?

I'm doing some experiments and need some sets of the '51-60 V8 early version pushrods. These are the shorter ones.

Prefer very good condition, in case the experiment works. PM me and we'll work out the details.

jack vines
    PackardV8

PM sent....

Comment

Jack, I read nearly everything here looking to learn what I can about the details and your request suggests to me that these push rods are not readily available. As I prepare to refresh/rebuild/overhaul a 1957 259 engine and believe there is at least one if not two push rods in my set which are bent this topic suggest that my 1951 232 may be the best source for replacements. Is that how you see it?

Comment

Originally posted by fatboylust View Post
        Jack, I read nearly everything here looking to learn what I can about the details and your request suggests to me that these push rods are not readily available. As I prepare to refresh/rebuild/overhaul a 1957 259 engine and believe there is at least one if not two push rods in my set which are bent this topic suggest that my 1951 232 may be the best source for replacements. Is that how you see it?
        The '51-60 pushrods are still thick on the ground. Far more of them were manufactured than the later, longer pushrods. It's just that I usually am asked to rebuild later 289"s.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

These push rods are readily available - used or new. 527890 is listed available new at Studebaker International.

Comment

FLAPS used to sell them made from stainless steel tubing with a ball bearing welded on each end. You could choose the length you wanted.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Which FLAPS?

jack
              PackardV8

Comment

I have so many they get scrapped now and then.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

I can't help you, but am curious what kind of experiment you are performing?

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  I'm doing some experiments and need some sets of the '51-60 V8 early version pushrods. These are the shorter ones.

Prefer very good condition, in case the experiment works. PM me and we'll work out the details.

jack vines
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Ron, I didn't give details because it is a long story. The experiment involves fitting Studebaker V8 heads with GM LS6 8mm stem valves cut to R3 diameter, beehive springs and retainers, new guides, positive seals and hard exhaust seats.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1688361

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1688362

The shorter valves are much lighter than R3 valves, but require milling the rocker stands. (Kids, don't try this at home. My machinist has threatened to throw me out of his shop and make me take all my Studes with me.)

Name:	IMG_0041.JPG
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1688363

It's all together now and I'm ordering custom pushrods.

Name:	IMG_0045.JPG
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1688364

The experiment with stock pushrods is for CASOs who've expressed interest in the heads, but for street use don't feel the custom pushrods are necessary.

Bottom line - I bought parts for eight pairs of heads. The machine work has been so much more time-consuming and involved, my machinist will be getting most of whatever they sell for and I've gotten an education. I won't be doing any more after these eight sets, but now I know how if anyone else ever wants to go there.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Which FLAPS?

jack
                      There are generally two types of FLAPS; the ones that sell to anyone and run sales in the local newspaper. These have names like Kragen, ten thousand auto parts, Pep Boys, Checker, and the like.

The other types are sometimes called "hard parts stores" and are usually one of a kind, or no more than one or two in an area. These are the ones where the local mechanics buy their parts. They are generally less oriented to the mass public, have little or no show rooms, but are jam packed with high quality, name/replacement brand parts.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

There are generally two types of FLAPS
                        Got that Roy. Been in every kind of auto parts store there is for the past fifty years. However, somehow I've missed the one which would custom build pushrods while you wait. That's why I asked specifically which one had that service.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

push rods go to your local speed shop they can order you adjustable push rod. take a sample they may have something close. I got a set for a 392 Hemi they had to order a set

Comment

Got that Roy. Been in every kind of auto parts store there is for the past fifty years. However, somehow I've missed the one which would custom build pushrods while you wait. That's why I asked specifically which one had that service.

jack vines
                            Sorry for the confusion. I didn't say they would make them while you wait.

When I needed some for my 65 Skylark 300, they either had them in stock, or got them the next day. But they were made with a SS tube and two ball bearings.

Comment

Working...
                            X