Start Up Procedure - car has been sitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start Up Procedure - car has been sitting

I understand from an ex-Studebaker mechanic that the best way to start up a motor that has been sitting for a while (but still free)is to disconnect the coil wire. Then use the starter to build up pressure. Re-connect the coil wire and start it.

Apparently, damage is done when an engine turns fast (i.e. starts) and there is no oil in circulation, but no damage is done upon the slower starter speed turnover.

I also have heard about taking out the distributor and using a drill in the oil pump slot to get the oil in circulation. (V8 only.)

Any comments?

Paul R

Both are good, but unless you are familiar with removing/replacing the distributor, just unplug the coil wire and crank until there is some pressure on the gage. Stop cranking, reinsert the coil wire and try again.

Make sure there is either coolant or water in the radiator, too.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

I have a junk distributor I use to pre-oil GM V-8s. I just chuck it in the drill and let it rip. I would not try this in a Studebaker!!!!
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It is always preferred to drain the oil hot to get it all out, BUT on a longtime stored engine, I would drain it FIRST before starting, then again later when hot. If you do not, there is a good chance of drawing all the settled SLUDGE from the bottom of the pan into the oil pump and to the bearings![xx(]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Change the oil first. It is not the speed of cranking that is the difference. It is the difference between turning the engine over and forcing the engine to turn over by the combustion process.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My Avanti sits in the garage for an eight month sleep.....every year...I have never fogged the engine in 42 years and have never had problems upon re-start...I do however change the oil and filter just before she goes to sleep...

Comment

Working...
            X