Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misc 30s-40s Studebaker Questions

Attached Files

Technically the Big Six was 3 7/8 X 5 displacing 353.6 c.i. Used from 1916 thru the 1928 model GH Commander.

2) What was the most powerful production Studebaker engine built pre-WWII? I think it was the 122 hp 337 cu in straight-eight for the 1931-1933 President.

3) What was the most powerful engine built by Studebaker pre-WWII? I think it was the 200 hp 337 cu in straight-eight used for the 1932 and 1933 Indy races. But I do not know if these were factory engines or built by outsiders. Yes, they were most definitely Studebaker built.
    The engine was derived from the 1932 Rockne developed originally for Willys by Roy Cole and Ralph Vail in 1930. Started as 3 1/8 X 4 1/8 with 189.8 c.i.

6) When did Stanwood Sparrow and William James join Studebaker? They worked together at the Bureau of Standards in the mid-1920s. This leads be to believe they went over to Studebaker in the late 1920s or early 1930s. Stanley Sparrow (1888-1952) started his tenure at Studebaker in late 1926. Killed driving his 1952 Studebaker on 8-14-52 near Charlton Mass. William James (b.1892) also joined Studebaker in 1926, left in 1948 and went with the Fram Corporation. EXTRA CREDIT Roy Cole (1883 - 1950) joined Studebaker in 1930 and retired on Jan 31, 1948)
    8) What is the engine in the attached image? Obviously it is from the early 40s. I think it looks like a 164 cu in straight-six from a Champion. But it could be a 170 cu in engine as used in the M29 Weasel (same engine as the 164 with a full 4 in stroke). Looks like the Champion to me.
    By the way why do you ask all these questions?
    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 03-21-2014, 01:17 AM.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Oh, almost forgot. The Chicago plant at 5555 Archer Ave across from Midway airport was used for making parts for the B-17 engines during WWII and was never owned by Studebaker, it was leased. The lease expired in Dec 1945 and it was turned over to Western Electric. Later Preston Tucker began assembly of his Tucker automobiles in the same building (51 built). In late 1951 Studebaker again leased the facility for making components for the J-47 jet engines. After that government contract was fulfilled the lease was again allowed to expire.
      Richard Quinn

Comment

Wow, thank you for the quick and thorough answers Richard, it is much appreciated!

That is interesting about the Chicago plant. Bonsall in More Than They Promised

Comment

You are welcome. You did not mention the Ft Wayne aviation plant. Also used for B-17 engine parts.
          Richard Quinn

Comment

Hello Richard,

I have spent quite a bit of time on your website today. I'll shoot you an email tonight (hope that is okay).

Thank you,

Bill Pearce

Comment

Originally posted by WJP View Post
              I certainly hope I do not wear out my welcome here.Kind regards, Bill Pearce
              Shucks, Bill, most of us on these Studebaker forums have already done that...why should you be any different. In fact, whether you scrounge up your own Studebaker or not...hang around and we'll all wear out our welcome together.

OH Yeah...welcome to the forum
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
              X