Time to thin out your collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to thin out your collection

That's right, you know you need to thin it. So your spouse makes no snarky comments about the hobby; so you free up funds for all the work you want to do on your magnum opus Stude. Let me help you! Or, more honestly put, please help me return to Stude owner status!!!

I sold the first (and thus far only) Studebaker in my life--a wonderful little '60 sedan I bought from Seattle member Tom Noller. Stupid but seminal moment in my life. The guy who owned the company that was remodeling my family room kept looking at the Lark. Finally, he floored me by telling me he'd take the Lark in place of the hefty fee he was charging me. Ya shoulda seen how big my wife's eyes got! But it was seminal because I moved from being merely a fan of vintage iron to be obsessed over Studebaker iron. Last spring I floated out a forum post similar to this. But in my starry eyes, I was gunning for a daily driver ride. You guys honestly let me know how silly that was.

Fortunately, I'm ready to return. I have a good backup car--'09 Pontiac G6--and am ready with the carefully grown starter cash.

Here's where you come in:

Thin your heard. Send me pix and description of one of your surplus ride(s). Owing to Tom's Lark, I started here seeing only first-gen Larks betwixt my blinders. I have seen enough since then to appreciate all '59-66 models--though my budget necessarily keeps me confined to Lark/Challenger/Commander/Cruiser ranks. I've even grown to admire the virtues of bullet-nosers and '55-58 sedans--but I suspect truly nice ones are out of my price range. In my dreams I'd find a nice M5!!

As this will be my fair-weather, semi-daily driver, I have a couple of things that are important to me. I'm looking for a clean #3 car. If it's had body work, it should've been sound work/not a bondo buggy. Interior should have minimal needs (kinda squeamish about the warped dashes second gen Larks get). Mechanicals should be solid, too. Strongly prefer something that isn't crying out for a paint job. I can put a fair amount of bucks into this, but safety and reliability come before appearance.

I'm figuring I can score one in the $3-5K range. Naturally, I would go higher if one had extras (Turner Disk brakes or other goodies). As it stands, I've budgeted enough to add right away:

1. Turner Disk brakes
    2. Functional headrests and shoulder belts--perhaps your doing, perhaps mine. I kinda like these Scat Procars because they have a little vintage look:
    [IMG]http://thumbnails109.********.com/31571/b5a9bb315703401.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://thumbnails109.********.com/31571/a1e7bc315703402.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://thumbnails110.********.com/31571/7aa51e315703403.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://thumbnails104.********.com/31571/bc0efe315703407.jpg[/IMG]
    3. Electronic ignition, fuel lines, brake lines and wiring.

Any of those things already done, and I'd expect to pay more, of course!

I don't care if it's a 2-door or more door. Actually prefer sedans so welding in shoulder belt mounts is easier. Not fussy on 6 vs. 8 (though I'm a bit scared of Skybolts due to cracked head rep). And auto vs. three speed not crucial (do love a three speed, though). Don't mind if it's mildly modified or Chebby powered, though I prefer Studepower. Chet Gandy's '65 Commander in Tuscon got me really worked up though it has a Mustang II front end, in-llne 292 six and a lot of performance mods--it'd be blast to drive even if it's not heart-and-soul South Bendian.

The thus-far unmentioned thorn is distance. I just got really excited over a '65 Commander, then found it would cost $1,200 to get it from Tuscon to Detroit (Peg's quote). That really eats into my budget. And I don't care to compromise on the safety/mechanical issues. Well, thanks for reading this far. Now, if I'm not too far down the rabbit hole, let me know! Glad to consider anything Stude you're considering parting with!
    Last edited by drpreposterous; 03-20-2014, 06:07 PM. Reason: correct

My humble opinion, worth every penny of what it cost you Doctor!

A #3 Car that will probably be a '63 or '64 4 Door Sedan from what I get out of your thoughts and also what is out there in QUANTITY, although I know you are a little more open minded than that.
    A good mechanically, decent paint, fair Interior with acceptable Dash Lark, will probably run a bit more than $5000.00, like 6 or 7. But I see you have some variance for a car whose condition exceeds expectations in some categories.

Someone that needs to take a trip to the "East" as we call it here on the West Coast (where the best cars are) would be the perfect seller who could possibly bring it to you for fuel cost.

UPDATE: A purely selfish thought would be a certain '64 Daytona Sedan I know of that does not have it's Mechanicals freshened up to my standards YET, due to 10 year inside storage.
    It is the 37th '64 8 Cylinder Studebaker Built: 64V1037, with 289 2V, Flight-O-Matic, Twin Traction 3.31 ratio, P/S, Power Disc Brakes, Stude. A/C, Individual Reclining Seats in Strato Blue with Blue Interior.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-20-2014, 11:06 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Headed East, perchance, young feller?

Comment

1963 Cruiser I would part with

Hi, I saw your your post and here's what I have. 1963 Cruiser with what I believe to be original mileage of 65029. The issues you were concerned with the brakes ,mechanical,the interior, and body have been addressed. I live in central Wisconsin so it's not that far away. Thanks, Bob PM sent
        Last edited by hawkbob; 03-22-2014, 09:59 AM. Reason: remove phone number
        Bob

Comment

Just saw this thread & thought I would reply to see if there is "any other interest" in my Cruiser with all the options: 289 4 BBL (NON JTI) Air P.S. Auto - the "ultimate" daily driver or highway cruiser with ALL N>O>S> interior professionally installed by Joe Peterson of "White Post Fame" - paint was redone base coat clear coat previously & looks "Paint booth new" -less than 52,000 miles that everybody that knows the car swears is correct.

Comment

gaboy (L); a lot would depend on what Color you painted that Cruiser, and it's Interior Color.

Some like myself would not want a
            Brown Interior or Green, or Brown or Light Green (Horizon Green) Paint, and a few others may not even like my Dark Strato Blue ones!

There is a very good reason why those were the only two Colors of Interiors that piles of Upholstery and the ONLY Color Dash Pads that remained at the Factory Warehouse after over 30 years.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-22-2014, 02:24 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for responding, guys. I pm-ed all of ya, hoping to see if one of your rides is a good fit!
              Last edited by drpreposterous; 03-22-2014, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry I have not been able to sell you my Lark or any of the others.
                But over the last year and a half I have hardly been home.

Maybe that'll change sometime soon...?

StudeDave '57
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Poor little Lark, lonely in its garage...it needs me!

Comment

Originally posted by drpreposterous View Post
                    Poor little Lark, lonely in its garage...it needs me!
                    Yes she needs a better home then I can provide, but she is not lonely.
                    She is presently keeping company with Sweet Pea and Nelly.

Not to mention- Betsy, Baby, and Jewel are in the shop next door.

StudeDave '57
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

You haven't tried telling the spouse they're cheaper by the dozen, have you?

Comment

Originally posted by drpreposterous View Post
                        You haven't tried telling the spouse they're cheaper by the dozen, have you?
                        Who me? A spouse?
                        I was not issued one in boot camp, soooooo.....
                        What spouse?

StudeDave '57
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Some like myself would not want a [/B][/COLOR]Brown Interior or Green, or Brown [COLOR=#0000ff][B]or Light Green (Horizon Green) Paint, and a few others may not even like my Dark Strato Blue ones!
                          Well, I hope your GREEN shag rug is finally gone from your Strato BLUE Daytona!!

Craig

Comment

And all these years I've lusted for a Jet GREEN Daytona with a BROWN interior.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              Well, I hope your GREEN shag rug is finally gone from your Strato BLUE Daytona!! Craig
                              That isn't the Strato Blue Daytona Dad is talking about selling Craig.
                              He has two- a hardtop and a sedan...

StudeDave '57
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC