Two Seat Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Seat Avanti?

I just had a guy tell me that there were two, two seat avantis produced---perhaps as prototypes. He claimed to know the guy who recently sold one. I disputed this information, having never heard of a two seat prototype. I am aware of the two prototypes located in recent years but they were not two seaters. Any one have any knowledge, or is this guy just mistaken.
    1967 Riviera, 1964 Avanti R/2-R5096, 1953 Champion-R/1,4spd, Two 1967 Studebaker Gravely tractorssigpic

I have seen photos of a turquois Avanti shortened to a two passenger vehicle. I can't find it in my files now and I don't remember for sure if that is an actual car, or it was created on a computer. Photo-Shop type program. I believe that it was an actual car. Surely someone else on the forum has the same photo!

Comment

Jim Bunting of AVX fame had builder Bill Lang shorten his 1963 Studebaker Avanti (frame) and turned into a two seater with storage in the back. It was not done by Studebaker. Jim sold the car to someone in California I believe.
      John Hull

Comment

Sherwood Egbert envisioned the Avanti as a 2-seater and early renderings reflected that, but early on he was persuaded to make it a 4-seater. If there were any prototypes by Studebaker, it likely never left the clay model stage, if it ever got that far.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Avantict View Post
          Jim Bunting of AVX fame had builder Bill Lang shorten his 1963 Studebaker Avanti (frame) and turned into a two seater with storage in the back. It was not done by Studebaker. Jim sold the car to someone in California I believe.
          Photos of it here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=bunting

Craig

Comment

There is a guy in Rodgers, Ar. Has or had a 2 seater Avanti.

Comment

Attached Files
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Seems like their was a post here that led me to these pics, but I saved them and cleaned them up.

If you look at drawing 2, it says "2 passenger"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti Concept 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1688344Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti Concept 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1688345

I assume that means 2 seater, and not driver + 2 passenger

Comment

Originally posted by pbrown View Post
                  Seems like their was a post here that led me to these pics, but I saved them and cleaned them up.

If you look at drawing 2, it says "2 passenger"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33333[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33334[/ATTACH]

I assume that means 2 seater, and not driver + 2 passenger
                  IT would be pure pleasure to have copies of these renderings. Is it a possibility to get copies of them from you?
                  Stude Rookie

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Rookie View Post
                    IT would be pure pleasure to have copies of these renderings. Is it a possibility to get copies of them from you?
                    Stude Rookie
                    If you click on the pics they will open to approx 1000 x 625, which is the resolution of the scans that I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                      I really like the look of this custom shortened version. Where is it today?
                      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

An Ozark Trails member that lives in Rogers, AR owned this car. I believe he still does. I have not talked to the owner about the car for a couple of years now.
                        He also owned the Conway Twitty '57 Golden Hawk at the time of the 2011 International Meet in Springfield.
                        Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO

Comment

Did any of you notice that Tom Kellogg used the same Door & Door Window shape on the Newer Firebird based Avanti?
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            Did any of you notice that Tom Kellogg used the same Door & Door Window shape on the Newer Firebird based Avanti?
                            Yep, and believe it or not, the link in the first post still works!! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=kellog

Craig

Comment

The turquoise two passenger Avanti looks pretty good!

The rear of the car and middle look just right but emphasize the somewhat overly long nose in front of the front wheels.
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                              X