Aftermarket Front Discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Aftermarket Front Discs

I want to go to a front disc brake on my Champion but I understand that on rotors from the 1968-69 Ford will work. Seeing that these can no longer be found except as a high dollar parts store items is there a newer rotor that will work? What caliper will work? Thanks

The best way to go is with the Turner Conversion Kit. Just Google it and you'll find it. Jim Turner is a regular here and a first rate guy and vendor. His kit will have everything you need.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Don't know if this helps but, when I was looking for rotors for my '48 M16 I found a catalog which listed the dimensions of drums and rotors. If you could tell me the diameter, bolt pattern, hat height, and thickness of braking surface. I might be able to find a close match. Neal

Comment

You can remove the hub from the drum, and drill out the stud holes for .63 shouldered studs. Use studs with long shoulders to center the new rotor. A Jeep Cherokee front rotor then can be slipped over the studs and are very common and can be had in drilled and slotted if so desired.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

FYI the Ford LTD '68/'69 rotors are now available again from various sources at reasonable prices. This is a drop on to the Stude spindles, i.e. no spacers or adapters required and keeps the proper geometry for wheel on the spindle. You can even use the same Stude bearings and seals. This is by far the best rotor solution unless you go to a custom design. However you would need to make your own brackets for the calipers. Large Kelsey Hayes early large Chrysler calipers will work fine. I can supply you a parts list if you want to go this direction.

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I'll check into the rotors from JC Whiney. I put a rack and pinion along with disc brakes on a Hawk several years ago. I think the kit came with rotors but I'm almost sure that I had to pick up some GM calipers but I don't remember what year, make , and model they were from. I have the later model spindles (1958 Commander). It seems like the new kits require an adapter so the rotors will properly seat? I'm trying to use later models parts in order to prevent issues with trying to find the older stock. Can you send me your parts list? Thanks.

Comment

Can you give me an idea of what year Jeep Cherokee? What caliper would I need to use? Thanks

Comment

The '69 Mustang Rotors that Jim Turner uses are dirt cheap at Advance Auto Parts and other on line Parts Stores.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Any late (non Grand) Cherokee......say 2004. I'm using Wilwood Dynalight 4 piston calipers. (which by the way are cheaper than Stude calipers)
                  Rotors are 30 bucks.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have ran both the Turner kit and the 1960s-70s', 12" setup with FoMoCo rotors and larger GM calipers. I currently have an early Turner kit on the 63GT, and 12" setups on the 62GT and 56J. The Turner kit is ideal for a six cylinder Champion, and also good for V8 Studes. But the 12" setup definitely requires less pedal pressure, probably due to the larger rotors and calipers. The 12" rotors are still readily available, and were about $65 each at AutoZone 2-3 years ago. Ditto for the large calipers, at around $25 each, rebuilt. I believe the Turner kit for Stude trucks uses a 12" rotor also, and hope he will someday produce a 12" kit for Stude V8 cars.

The 12" setup is more picky about wheel clearance, but works well with 1970s-1980s FoMoCo, 6" wide, 3.75" backspace wheels. The larger calipers are also more trouble to bleed out but, once done, no worries. The hardest part to come up with for the 12" setup is the caliper mount. The old D.L. kits used 12" rotors, but have been NLA for years as far as I know.

Both the above kits use common calipers that you can easily get modern pads for. Modern pads allow more choices for material, which affects initial grab, friction, fade, rotor wear, etc.. I use the "Hawk" brand pads with the "Performance Street" composite, popular with the Corvette guys.
                    Last edited by JoeHall; 03-22-2014, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Which GM rotors are you referring to? I think the kit I used on the Hawk was using the GM calipers for the midsized vehicles but I don't remember what models or years. I understand that most of the aftermarket kits have a base unit which is the caliper bracket and an adapter bushing to seat the rotors on. They then step up and offer a deluxe or full kit which includes the base kit along with rotors and calipers at a higher price. My concern is once the rotors or calipers fail, how do I replace the individual parts. I can't get the 12" rotors from my local AutoZone since they don't list any. The JC Whitney rotors are the least expensive ($73 each). I've tried several of the local stores and Rock Auto but they're prices are much higher for the same rotors.

Comment

Jim's kit lists rotor (C80Z-1102-A) which shows Mustang up to 73. I believe the calipers are S-10 4X4 units. Rock Auto shows the rotors from $30-79. That should be sufficient Whoa for a six cylinder Stude. Those rotors should be around for quite a while, I would think.

If you want Mucho Grande stopping power, Talk to Tom about his conversions. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=avanti+brakes

Bob
                        Last edited by sweetolbob; 03-22-2014, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Here is the parts list for the old DL kit that uses the '68/'69 Ford LTD rotors:

Dan White
                          64 R1 GT
                          64 R2 GT
                          58 C Cab
                          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Thanks! That helps

Comment

Thanks. Ill check it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X