PDA

View Full Version : Need 57 GH front grill re-chromed...any suggestions?

vmania
03-19-2014, 07:16 AM
I've tried to reach Jerry Forrester as he did my bumpers and other pieces but no luck.....Thanks for any advice!

JEWELL
03-19-2014, 07:26 AM
Barry Hackney and SDC member here in Houston is now doing chrome work on Studebaker's. You can call him 281-787-6230. Hope this helps.

Mark

candbstudebakers
03-19-2014, 09:48 AM
Also Rich Lindsey in Ohio try number 330-465-0217

wolfie
03-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Keep after Jerry. He will get back to you. Steve

tjanowia
03-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Careful with Dick Lindsey. On my GH first he lost my parts, then sent me different parts some of which were broken, sent them back and then got different parts of poor quality. Finally after about a year I got tired of listening to excuses and gave up and accepted my loss. Still missing parts.

jimmijim8
03-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Careful to remember not to air low quality of customer satisfaction received from dealings with long time Stude parts dealers on the forum. We aren't supposed to do that openly. I'm not saying that in your case it couldn't have happened but as he does not post much or any more I doub't he's gonna wanna air a conflict on the forum. Sorry bout your loss but had it been my loss then I would have had a bit more perseverance or money back with parts back as in same unfinished condition as were given or cores of same quality. I like my newly rechromed bumper. Rich is a business man long time into Studes with many satisfied customers. 2 sides to every deal gone bad. cheers jimmijim
Careful with Dick Lindsey. On my GH first he lost my parts, then sent me different parts some of which were broken, sent them back and then got different parts of poor quality. Finally after about a year I got tired of listening to excuses and gave up and accepted my loss. Still missing parts.

PackardV8
03-19-2014, 02:06 PM
IIRC, the '56-61 grilles are all the same and there a lot of them around. In fact, I have two on the shelf.

Are you looking for show-quality chrome or driver-quality chrome?

Also, be aware the grille is one of the most difficult to get a perfect chrome job. All those square are a problem. A plater who can deliver a show quality job will be sure to cause CASO sticker shock.

jack vines

55champion
03-19-2014, 05:36 PM
vmania I sent you a PM...check your box

Jerry Forrester
03-19-2014, 05:45 PM
I don't know why you are having a hard time getting in touch with me. I am here everyday.

I've tried to reach Jerry Forrester as he did my bumpers and other pieces but no luck.....Thanks for any advice!

vmania
03-20-2014, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the replies!!.....Not a CASO by any means and want a Show Quality job....Jerry I sent you e-mails as I don't have your phone number...

Jerry Forrester
03-21-2014, 10:00 AM
forr62 at bellsouth.net
770 949 894two
770 942 677one

jclary
03-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Careful to remember not to air low quality of customer satisfaction received from dealings with long time Stude parts dealers on the forum. We aren't supposed to do that openly. I'm not saying that in your case it couldn't have happened but as he does not post much or any more I doub't he's gonna wanna air a conflict on the forum. Sorry bout your loss but had it been my loss then I would have had a bit more perseverance or money back with parts back as in same unfinished condition as were given or cores of same quality. I like my newly rechromed bumper. Rich is a business man long time into Studes with many satisfied customers. 2 sides to every deal gone bad. cheers jimmijim

To add a comment to this...While at the York swap meet, I met Richard and saw what, to me, looked like some very good plating. Prices seemed reasonable. After some conversation, I understand that Richard has an agreement with a shop that provides the actual service for him. Therefore, his control of the process is at risk of the work done by the shop. Apparently, the owner of the plating shop must give Richard a fairly good wholesale discount, or he couldn't offer the service at a reasonable price. With this kind of business arrangement, Richard has only so much control while the items are not in his possession. I had never met Richard before, but he seemed to be a nice fellow.

Because he is closer to me, I would probably use Jerry for plating needs. However, I am a CASO. If Jerry has a list of loyal customers...I ain't on it. However, if he'd swap a set of '51 bumpers for a few dozen free range eggs...I'd be there this evening...might even throw the hens in to boot!:!::)

jimmijim8
03-21-2014, 05:20 PM
234567890 jimmijim
To add a comment to this...While at the York swap meet, I met Richard and saw what, to me, looked like some very good plating. Prices seemed reasonable. After some conversation, I understand that Richard has an agreement with a shop that provides the actual service for him. Therefore, his control of the process is at risk of the work done by the shop. Apparently, the owner of the plating shop must give Richard a fairly good wholesale discount, or he couldn't offer the service at a reasonable price. With this kind of business arrangement, Richard has only so much control while the items are not in his possession. I had never met Richard before, but he seemed to be a nice fellow.

Because he is closer to me, I would probably use Jerry for plating needs. However, I am a CASO. If Jerry has a list of loyal customers...I ain't on it. However, if he'd swap a set of '51 bumpers for a few dozen free range eggs...I'd be there this evening...might even throw the hens in to boot!:!::)

jbwhttail
03-21-2014, 05:33 PM
Just going to say, if you want front grill done....... take the price they give you! I had mine quoted and they plated it 4 times before it was acceptable to me. Still had hours of work to get a show quality grill, sharp corners such as the front grill are IMPOSSIBLE to do. You get the best job a chrome shop can do, then you tape it off and spray a silver/gray.

If anyone can get you the job you want or exspect.......... send it to Jerry Forrester!

ken-renda
03-21-2014, 06:20 PM
Hanlon in Richmond Va does good work the money; if money is not an issue Royal Silver in Norfolk will get better results but at a higher price. In either case they are close to King George Va. Both have done work for my cars. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Sam Ensley
03-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Stick with Jerry Forrester. He does beautiful work. He's also a Georgia boy.