Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A though that has been in my mind for a while...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A though that has been in my mind for a while...

I dearly love my Studebaker. But with college it is hard to fit in the time an money to care for her as much as I want to.
    Granted, 22 and owning a Stude is wonderful, but I can't care for her like I want.
    I am thinking about selling. I'd still keep my SDC status. It is fun to hang out with my fellow SDC.
    My best friend/roommate is going to get a trailer, which will take residence under the car port, where my Studebaker resides.
    I would hate to see her go, but I would love to see her go to someone who could take better care of her then I can.

Probably not me as I now have 4 of them (1966's) but remind me what it is and in what condition.

Also what you'd like to get for her if you decided to sell?

I tell you the damn things breed, had one now 4 LOL.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I understand the economics of being young and ambitious, but if you genuinely care for this car,I reccomend you find a way to hold on to it.
      I sold 3 cars in my youth that I have always regretted. 1966 I sold my 48 Champion Convertible to buy a 56 Ford.Later traded the ford for a 54 Champion Coupe. Sold the 54 to buy a 57 Silverhawk. Mid 70's I sold a 55 Conestoga because I didn't have time and money to put in to it.
      I wish I could have found a way to keep the 48,the 54, and the 55.
      When my kids started driving, I encouraged them to keep their first cars. My son is 42 and still has the 51 Champion I gave him when he was 14.
      My daughter(Iwon't tell her age) still has most of a 63 Daytona I gave her when she was 16.She gave it to her son who drove it into the shop one day and took it apart. I still have hope for it.
      Last edited by rockinhawk; 03-18-2014, 05:03 AM.
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Been there. Had a 46 Ford Club Coupe in the early 80s when I was in college. Loved that car. Had to sell it to fund the education. Maybe you could sell it to someone you trust who would keep it for you for now and agree to sell it back in 2 or 3 years when you can afford to have a hobby car. Perhaps even someone on the forum here? Just a thought. It's an expensive hobby anymore for anyone, let alone someone trying to put himself through school. On the bright side, without the college education, I probably wouldn't be able to afford what I have now. Think of it as an investment in the future and the opportunity to own even more Studebakers in the future. Best of luck.

Comment

Find a way to keep it if you can. I regret selling my first car-a '51 Henry J my Dad and I saved from the crusher. It got me through school and then some. I later sold it to a KF guy to buy a '64 Daytona. I have several '64 Daytonas now but still remember fondly of that 'J'.
          Rob in PA.

Comment

Yes, don't sell it, we all regret selling that first car, especially a Studebaker.
            I still wish I had my 1950 Land Cruiser I had in high school.
            Find a garage, if not home, maybe a relatives house. Drain the gas tank and put her up on blocks. Save her for when you are more affluent.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

1947 Studebaker M-5
              1946 Studebaker M-5
              1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
              1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
              1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

would you like to give us some specs on the car and what you'd like to sell it for to us or on eBay ?

Comment

I sold my first car many years before I even started college and still kick myself. It was a 1977 Datsun 280z that I modified by dropping in a later Turbo ZX engine. It was a fun car with a four speed and headers. I hope to get another some day...

I did manage to keep both my 83 Mustang GT sleeper drag car and my 59 Hawk through college and am very happy I did. I now have the finances to fix them both up and drive them. The Hawk is going to take a lot of work, but the mustang only needs fresh gas and brake work before it hits the drag strip again.

If there is any way possible to keep that car, I would definitely hold on to her. Otherwise like many others have stated, you will regret it once you graduate.

Comment

I was leaving the country at age 23 and owed Mr. Transmission some money, so I gave him my 55 coupe. Years later I can pay my bills and bought another 55. It cost me over 50 times more to get another one than I owed Mr. Transmission. If you can find a way...if not, good luck in life and you'll get another when you can afford it.
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                    X