51 commander part searching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 commander part searching

I have my 1951 commander. 4 door v8 automatic that I slowly want to gather parts for.

Being this was my first stude though as much as it would help to sell and have the extra cash I don't think I can part with it....

I'm looking to gather some parts but in all honesty I do not need them right away.

Basically want to know if the parts are still obtainable, or if they are when you see it..buy it pieces!

* My plastic bulletnose is in very rough condition. Every portion of it is broken. These must be rare as I have not come across one yet in my searches. Are the complete nose pieces reproduced?

*I appear to be missing one emblem off the trunk lid.

*I am missing hubcaps. I'm assuming the car had hubcaps...

*The tail light lenses and outer chrome sections seem very brittle and am not sure if they will survive being removed.

* trunk and rear bumper are damaged. (Fender bender) Possible fixable but not opposed to pieces in better condition.

*I'm guessing reproduction floor pieces are not made? Floors are rotted, frame is in rough shape but a friend specializes in frame work so that should not be an issue.

Just rambling a little. But what else is new.....

The only swap meet I think I will make this year will be the upper mississippi valley zone meet in late September.

Last edited by 63avanti.; 04-07-2014, 04:55 PM.

Floor replacement panels are available: http://c2cfabrication.com/store/inde...acturers_id=13 and http://www.classicent.com/sedans.php to name two examples. Best of luck.

Comment

Thank you. I never came across these websites in my searches.

Comment

I've got a good and a better plastic nose bullets. Got the other nose stuff as well.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by 63avanti. View Post
          I have my 1951 commander. 4 door v8 automatic with overdrive. NO OVERDRIVE, just a Lockup Torque Converter.
          * My plastic bulletnose is in very rough condition. Every portion of it is broken. These must be rare as I have not come across one yet in my searches. Are the complete nose pieces reproduced? $36.00

*I appear to be missing one emblem off the trunk lid. V8 Emblem No longer Available. If it had an "Automatic Drive" Emblem on the Trunk Lid, those are also NLA.

*I am missing hubcaps. I'm assuming the car had hubcaps. Hub Caps: 4/$200.00, Wheel Covers: 4/$400.00, Hub Cap Clips 12/$36.00.

*The tail light lenses and outer chrome sections seem very brittle and am not sure if they will survive being removed.
          Tail Light Rims: 2/$280.00, Tail Light Lenses 2/$120.00 used.

* trunk and rear bumper are damaged. (Fender bender) Possible fixable but not opposed to pieces in better condition.
          SDC Zone Meets and International Meet Swap Meets or Studebaker Swap Page on-line.

*I could use a donor rearend for the car as well as it seems it was pretty hacked up by the axle from a non stude addict attempting to work on it. SDC Zone Meets and International Meet Swap Meets or Studebaker Swap Page on-line.

*I'm guessing reproduction floor pieces are not made? Floors are rotted, frame is in rough shape but a friend specializes in frame work so that should not be an issue. Classic Enterprises.
          All items in RED except as noted are New, I and the other Studebaker Vendors at: http://studebakervendors.com Sell these.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 03-16-2014, 12:35 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I owned and drove a 1951 Commander 4 door sedan, 3 speed with overdrive, for nearly 14 years and it was a wonderful car. It would stay with traffic in most situations and that's with bias-ply tires, radials would have been even better but were beyond my budget at the time.

The one thing to keep in mind is that a 4 door sedan is near the bottom of the list when it comes to resale value and with a car in the condition you describe you would likely end up being upside down moneywise, even doing a lot of the work yourself. If this is a labor of love, go for it, but if you are looking at return on your dollar, fixing this particular car may not be the right option.

PS: The taillight bezels have been reproduced as have a number of other items for your car. Studebaker International has a great on-line catalog that you can check out, plus there a number of smaller venders such as Myers, etc. who also have websites and will have many NOS and reproduction items.
            Last edited by dpson; 03-16-2014, 12:41 PM.
            Dan Peterson
            Montpelier, VT
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Those tail light lenses are glass, not plastic. Unless they got cracked they should be good for a hundred years or so.
              If you have been unable to find suppliers for all these items, my guess is you have not been receiving Turning Wheels.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This is why I like the SDC forums.... Friendly people, lots of great info and willingness to help. And I thank you for correcting my mistakes otherwise I would continue to tell everyone the incorrect information.
                Last edited by 63avanti.; 03-16-2014, 01:50 PM.

Comment

The build is more of a 10 year build and a labor of love. I'm not into the flipping of cars to make a profit. I tend to be very picky and just want the satisfaction of restoring one car in my life.....and hopefully it keeps me out of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    Those tail light lenses are glass, not plastic. Unless they got cracked they should be good for a hundred years or so.
                    If you have been unable to find suppliers for all these items, my guess is you have not been receiving Turning Wheels.
                    I do receive them... I'll admit I tend to flip around and am more of a picture gazer.. Reading would probably do wonders for my searches.....

Comment

how good is the Automatic overdrive? if stock it must be one of a kind.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                        how good is the Automatic overdrive? if stock it must be one of a kind.
                        Ha, yes. Definitely one of a kind.... But Point well taken. I will change it and learn from my mistakes. I am not sure why I keep thinking of it this way. Sure makes me sound intelligent!!... Not.

Comment

I believe I still have a very good tail light lens for your car, unless I sold it at Menomonie last fall. millersigns1@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                            I've got a good and a better plastic nose bullets. Got the other nose stuff as well.
                            p.m. Sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                              I believe I still have a very good tail light lens for your car, unless I sold it at Menomonie last fall. millersigns1@gmail.com
                              I will try to uncover the car very soon here and take a look at them once more and update my to buy list. I have your email saved and I will be I'm contact. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X