First time with high octane in R1 Avanti - WOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time with high octane in R1 Avanti - WOW

I needed to go into work today for a bit on a saturday. I decided to take the 63 Avanti ( R1 auto) - just finished putting in a Fairborn flanged axle and Turner rear disk brake, so needed a long test drive. One of the few places in the SF bay area with race gas at the pump is on my route into work (Sunol). I splurged on a fill up with 101 Octane for the 63 ( flat pistons, composite head gasket, runs "ok" on 91 octane). WOW! what a difference. Why do they have to charge so much for this great stuff???
    1951 Custom
    1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
    1962 Champ
    1963 Standard R1 4 speed
    1963 Avanti R1
    1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
    2006 Avanti Convertible

Cause it's illegal. (just kidding). It does give one a boost.

Comment

No photos?? I have a foot of snow in my yard and a photo of your car along with some green grass would have been very refreshing.
      By the way, do I dare ask how much the 101 is per gallon? Or don't you want your wife to find out?
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The R2 Clone really likes the 110 octane we have here.
        sigpic

Comment

Milaca, sorry, no photos, seemed like another boring saturday-going-to-work moment at the time. the price was ~ $7 / gallon. Paula's in vegas with some female-attorney-friends this weekend - this tank-full will likely pale in comparison.
          1951 Custom
          1962 Champ
          1963 Standard R1 4 speed
          1963 Avanti R1
          1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
          2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by jgrohs View Post
            Milaca, sorry, no photos, seemed like another boring saturday-going-to-work moment at the time. the price was ~ $7 / gallon. Paula's in vegas with some female-attorney-friends this weekend - this tank-full will likely pale in comparison.
            So you're saying that she may have to sell her 2006 Avanti when she returns home?
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
              So you're saying that she may have to sell her 2006 Avanti when she returns home?
              no. Thankfully she's shopping instead of gambling... still may be worth some credits for future work on the 63!
              1951 Custom
              1962 Champ
              1963 Standard R1 4 speed
              1963 Avanti R1
              1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
              2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Working...
              X