Gas tank drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Gas tank drain plug

Took the gas tank out of my 54 Commander K body yesterday. I would like to remove the drain plug. It has a square hole in it for a socket extension, the problem being the square is neither 1/4 inch nor 3/8. It is too big for one and too small for the other. The parts book doesn't show the plug so I'm curious as to whether that was stock or not. Not really a problem, just agrannoying.

Terry

Terry,
    The chassis catalog does not show the plug but it is listed as part #551-04, PLUG, drain 1/4".
    If your 1/4 drive does not fit, I suspect some oxidized metal expansion has occurred.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

"agrannoying"---great new word that explains a lot to old car people!
      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Your plug IS original from Studebaker. It is a 1/4" pipe plug. It is neither 1/4" nor 3/8" drive. You'll have to use a 3/8" bolt and grind 4 flats on it to fit into the square hole in the plug.
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
          Your plug IS original from Studebaker. It is a 1/4" pipe plug. It is neither 1/4" nor 3/8" drive. You'll have to use a 3/8" bolt and grind 4 flats on it to fit into the square hole in the plug.
          Thanks, Jerry. I suspected that was the case. I'm going to visit my freindly local Metal Mart for a piece of 5/16 square stock.

Terry

Comment

The earlier tanks had the plug, and later tanks just had a round stamping in the tank, but no plug. You may be better off to leave yours alone. Sometimes the plug housing anchor will let loose before the plug will come loose. You would then have a major problem on your hands. Been there-done that.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
              The earlier tanks had the plug, and later tanks just had a round stamping in the tank, but no plug. You may be better off to leave yours alone. Sometimes the plug housing anchor will let loose before the plug will come loose. You would then have a major problem on your hands. Been there-done that.
              OK, now that's aggranoying!

Terry

Comment

The ID of the square is approx. .268" I use a 1/4" impact adapter down from 3/8" and 1/2" - 3/8". So you have 2 adapters. Put them on your impact wrench, spray a little PBlaster on it and hit her quick and hard and it will come right out.

Comment

Well there you have it. One says leave it ain't broke so don't try to fix it, and another says use an impact wrench. Life is about choices

Comment

Well Joe, It all depends on how bad the tank is. How long the tank has been sitting around, rusting. And I have a few tanks laying around. So if I screw one up, I just take it apart and repair it right or junk it.

Comment

I agree Allen. I am down to one good spare tank, and stopped trying to remove those plugs long ago though, after mangling one. Back then, I probably just pitched it and got another one, as you are still able to. I have destroyed a few Stude tanks over the years, by other means too, i.e. when a floor jack slipped off the rear pumpkin, and all but folded the front half of the tank. Good tanks are gettin harder to come by now days, here on the East Coast anyway.

Joe

Comment

I bought a set of external square drive sockets for this same issue. There always seems to be one or two off the wall sized plugs in what I work on. The set has a "socket" that fits the plug perfectly.
                        Jamie McLeod
                        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                        1958 Commander "Christine"
                        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                        1955 Commander Sedan
                        1964 Champ
                        1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
                        X