1960-62 Lark wagon on a Champ frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960-62 Lark wagon on a Champ frame?

No; I'm not trying to be a Troll here......

Just that I getting 'older' and I like the idea of not having to step 'down' into a vehicle. Too; I live in a semi rural area and like a tad more ground clearance.

Since the Champs all were straight axle, maybe it'd give me more room for things like PS, etc.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

So....you want a Studebaker Outback wagon??
    I wonder how much more clearance the straight axel has over the A-frame suspension. Maybe an inch or two at their lowest points?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I think it is doable, the biggest issue is the 112 or 122 Inch Champ Wheelbase vs the 113 Inch Lark W/B.

I knew a guy in Riverside, CA who tried to put a '62 Lark 4 Door Wagon Body on his Champ frame and weld the rear panel from the Champ Cab on the back. I guess he planned to make up any length difference by modifying the chassis Mount home built Camper Body length to fit.
      He never finished it before he passed away so I don't know any more details or where it went after the Estate Sale.
      His name was Richard (Dick) Milford, Don Ogden in Riverside got most of his Barns full of used Stude. parts.
      The frame did have a 245 Commander Six with Overdrive.

It might have become the 2nd. Champ Truck in the World with a '61 and up Cowl Vent Climitizer Heating and Defrosting System. There is an Oregon Champ Pickup with a '64 Commander Wagon Cab.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here you go.

Comment

Jeep Comanche shortbed wheelbase is 113". Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            So....you want a Studebaker Outback wagon??
            I wonder how much more clearance the straight axel has over the A-frame suspension. Maybe an inch or two at their lowest points?
            Works for me.

The straight axle would eliminate a lot of moving parts and a PS conversion would probably be rather simple. Note I want 2WD but; 4WD could be added on later if needed.
            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Jeep Comanche's were unibodys, not body & frame so they would not be a likely candidate for such a swap.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thought about that after I posted.

Comment

I've been working on an extended cab champ off and on for years. The donor front was a 63 Wagon and of course the back of a Champ. My issues with finishing are how to make side windows behind the doors and the cab back above the window. The 63 Wagon is sort of square and the Champ cab above the window is curved.

On a side note, anyone know of Champ cabs, or 63/66 sedans for parts. I've got some thin metal due to vermin infestation
                  \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                  The Replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
                    On a side note, anyone know of Champ cabs, or 63/66 sedans for parts. I've got some thin metal due to vermin infestation
                    Metal eating rats?!!! Yee gads, I didn't need any other reason to not settle in Nebraska. Or were they squirrels, metal munching squirrels would also scare me pantsless. Brrrrr.

Sorry, could NOT resist.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                      Metal eating rats?!!! Yee gads, I didn't need any other reason to not settle in Nebraska. Or were they squirrels, metal munching squirrels would also scare me pantsless. Brrrrr.

Sorry, could NOT resist.
                      I guess our local field mice never heard the old addage " don't foul where you sleep/eat"

the 63 body I used sat in a farmstead near a grain bin for years before I bought it for about 150.00 years ago. It had thin metal near the heaterbox because of a mouse nest, same above and behind the windshield. Back then I had time, money and youth
                      \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                      The Replacements.

Comment

Working...
                      X