1950 Manufacturing Defect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Manufacturing Defect

We all love our Studeabakers. Sometimes, however, we put our cars on such a pedestal (figuratively speaking) as models of perfection that we forget that they were built by real people. These real people had bad days, came to work hung over, got tired and sometimes just didn't pay attention. For those and a hundred other reasons, they sometimes made mistakes. I found one of these mistakes (a rare example, I'm sure), that I thought that some Stude enthusiasts might find of interest.
    I was replacing the old (I'm pretty sure that they were original equipment) heater hoses in my 1950 Champion. When I pulled them out, I noticed that one of the hoses was crimped and cracked. As anyone familiar with this style of car knows, the heater hoses pass through a slot in a bracket that connects the firewall body panel to the right fender, and they're a pretty tight fit.
    When I looked down into the slot, I noticed that there was a rusty old washer standing up against the slot. The washer had pinched and crimped the hose. As far as I could tell, the hose didn't leak, but hey, it could have.
    The washer is the same size as the washer on the bolt that connects the firewall and fender panel (visible in picture below). My theory is that the factory worker who put these two panels together dropped the washer and just grabbed another one to put on the bolt. The worker who later installed the hoses didn't notice the washer, setting the stage for a catastrophic hose failure someday in the future.
    Does anyone know who was in charge of quality control at Studebaker? They need to know about this problem, just in case they restart the 1950 Champion production line.

John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

O my gosh! that heater hose only lasted 57 years and still going, going, going!!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

O my gosh! that heater hose only lasted 57 years and still going, going, going!!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Looks like an alien cockroach on the frame rail [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looks like an alien cockroach on the frame rail [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looks more like a tribble to me!

Comment

Looks more like a tribble to me!

Comment

I'm with Mike - I always drill a drain hole in that little pocket.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm with Mike - I always drill a drain hole in that little pocket.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It isn't clear to me what you are drilling through. Do you drill a hole vertically through that bracket? I hadn't thought of that. I did stick a plastic cap on the bolt to prevent it from rubbing against the heater hoses.

The "cockroach/tribble" is actually a chunk of the old cloth heater duct that runs back from the blower to the heater core. By the way, I went to a local heating and air conditioning dealer and got some pretty thick flexible 4" aluminum duct (much thicker than regular old dryer duct) to replace the old cloth stuff. It worked well, but it was really hard to get it through the space between the frame and the firewall.

1950 Champion
                    1/2 of 1956 TransStar
                    Holdrege NE
                    John
                    1950 Champion
                    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                    Holdrege NE

Comment

It isn't clear to me what you are drilling through. Do you drill a hole vertically through that bracket? I hadn't thought of that. I did stick a plastic cap on the bolt to prevent it from rubbing against the heater hoses.

The "cockroach/tribble" is actually a chunk of the old cloth heater duct that runs back from the blower to the heater core. By the way, I went to a local heating and air conditioning dealer and got some pretty thick flexible 4" aluminum duct (much thicker than regular old dryer duct) to replace the old cloth stuff. It worked well, but it was really hard to get it through the space between the frame and the firewall.

1950 Champion
                      1/2 of 1956 TransStar
                      Holdrege NE
                      John
                      1950 Champion
                      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                      Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
                      X