Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Body color label W 662 ?

Hi

I help a new friend to begun the restoration of a 1955 Commander Regal Hard Top.

As you can see, the original colour is blue.

For 1955 I now only 2 reference blue: Windsor blue and Alpene blue but nobody knows "body color W 662"

Under the glove box you can read this:

Is there somebody who can help us to understand

My friend want to rebuilt the car as it was for 1955 june.

Alpena Blue is 2606, Windsor Blue is 2641.

The color looks too light to be Alpena and too dark to be Windsor. Where was the car assembled? If it was built in Belgium it may have used a color used by D'leteren-Freres, the local assembly plant.

Chris.

Comment

W662 is the Form Number for that label; not the color which was usually typed on it. It does appear to be Windsor Blue to me.

Craig

Comment

What Craig said. What was typed on the label is either gone or nearly so.

Examine the label closely to see if you can see any faint traces of what might have been a typed or even hand-written color combo, if it was assembled outside the United States. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Maybe this will help:

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
            Alpena Blue is 2606, Windsor Blue is 2641.

The color looks too light to be Alpena and too dark to be Windsor. Where was the car assembled? If it was built in Belgium it may have used a color used by D'leteren-Freres, the local assembly plant.

Chris.
            The car has been assembled in South Bend.

Body number 16 G8 K5 2120
            Serial number: 8 412925

It has been sold by Ets Dujardin for june 1955.

Cars assembled by D'Ieteren have a different system for body number ( "DF.....) and I think that Ets Dujardin sold cars only coming from USA or Canada.

Comment

I agree with you. This blue seem just between "Alpena" and "Windsor".

I think that Ets Dujardin was able to sold you the car you want (with extra cost...). Our family car, when I was a young boy, was a 1959 Champion Silver Hawk (From Canada) and it was a two tones colors = Bahama blue (1959) / Glenbrock green (1956) and the gearbox was a flightomatic for V8. The car has been sold for runing in Jura mountains (near Switzerland) and the engine run faster to go to the third speed with a V8 type flightomatic. I don' know if it's the reason for the choice of this special gearbox, but I am sure, the car has been in the family since it was a new car, I am the first man who disassembled it, and when I look at the gearbox number and label, it's a V8 type...

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                What Craig said. What was typed on the label is either gone or nearly so.

Examine the label closely to see if you can see any faint traces of what might have been a typed or even hand-written color combo, if it was assembled outside the United States. BP

Sure. I think that we wiil look closely at this paper... But it will be possible later because The car is far from home.

I think that we will ask to Studebaker museum for a production order. It may be the best solution to know the original colour;

I'll put their explanation on the forum

Comment

That bit of wiring harness (or whatever that cable is) is situated right across where the paint code and name would be printed. I would REALLY be surprised if the information you seek wasn't right behind that cable. The rest of the label is in such great shape that it's hard to believe the code info didn't survive. Maybe your friend saw the W662 and assumed that was the paint code and looked no further. It doesn't make sense that Studebaker would have affixed a blank label there.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Gege Demaring View Post
                    The car has been assembled in South Bend.

Body number 16 G8 K5 2120
                    Serial number: 8 412925

It has been sold by Ets Dujardin for june 1955

Cars assembled by D'Ieteren have a different system for body number ( "DF.....) and I think that Ets Dujardin sold cars only coming from USA or Canada.
                    Ok, that's interesting. Since it is South Bend built I would contact the museum for a production sheet and see what colors is listed. In any case, you have a very interesting car that deserves restoration.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                      That bit of wiring harness (or whatever that cable is) is situated right across where the paint code and name would be printed. I would REALLY be surprised if the information you seek wasn't right behind that cable. The rest of the label is in such great shape that it's hard to believe the code info didn't survive. Maybe your friend saw the W662 and assumed that was the paint code and looked no further. It doesn't make sense that Studebaker would have affixed a blank label there.
                      Thank you very much for your answer. Yes my friend take a photo and we have no reference of body color with us. We think that W662 was the paint code and don't look under the harness. But sure, for the next time we look at it !

Regarding the color of the car of the 'French Riviera' sun has done its job ... The car has been 30 years outside and the color have change...
                      Last edited by Gege Demaring; 03-13-2014, 11:50 AM. Reason: More information

Comment

Working...
                      X