Swapping a Studebaker OHV six into a '52 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Swapping a Studebaker OHV six into a '52 Champion

I'm thinking about swapping a '62 OHV six into a '52 Champion to replace a very tired 170. I've been led to believe that this should be close to a bolt-in except for things like exhaust. The OHV engine came from an automatic Lark and the '52 is a 3 speed with overdrive. Will the flywheel, clutch, starter, etc. from the Champion work on the OHV six? Also, will the '52 bellhousing work on the later engine.
    I know of the "questionable" reputation of the OHV six, but this is a really good running one.
    Thanks,
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

I swapped the OHV engine into my 59 Lark years ago in my first car. I didn't have a transmission change since both were tied to an automatic but the swap went well. Your Champion engine was the same basic block as what I had so I cant imagine things like the bolt pattern of the crankshaft being different to complicate matters.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

You'll need to put longer bolts in the crank to attach the flywheel, this means dropping the rear main bearing. That will be your bigest problem. The throttle will have to have a modern connection, too. And don't forget to indicate the bell housing to be concentric with the crank.

Comment

You may find that R&R'ing the cyl. head is a bit tight to clear the firewall.
        A friend runs OHV sixes in his 49 business coupe and in his 54 Champion sedan, and I seem to remember that getting the head back on in the car is doable but kind of a pain.

Comment

sals54

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the quick answers. I was aware of the flywheel bolt issue as well as the need to dial indicate the bell housing. As far as cylinder head removal being a problem, hopefully the car will not be driven high miles and we'll never have to take the head off (hopefully, if we do, we'll face it when it happens). The V8 swap doesn't seem to make sense using the weak little T96 transmission and if we change to a T86, now things have gotten more complicated. We just want a nice driver with more power than the little 170.
            Thanks again. I'll post progress when we do the swap.
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Howard, see if you can find an SDC old-timer with a collection of SDC Bulletins, the small magazine that preceded Turning Wheels.

If so, look for the May 1971 issue. In that issue is my 4-page article about putting a 1962 OHV six in my 1955 Champion Regal Coupe. It has a couple photos, but they are poor as our SDC print quality was lousy back then, compared with today.

If you cannot locate a copy, send me a couple dollars for copying and postage and I'll copy it for you and mail it back. My address is in any Turning Wheels' Co-Operator.

Incidentally, I do recommend the swap. It is not that difficult and makes the car much more responsive...and I was replacing a "torquier" 185 flathead, not the smaller 170 in your '52. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

A fellow up here has a 52 with a Stude OHV six and he put a Tremec 5 speed behind it. Interesting swap and he says it goes pretty well. Good luck.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Gee Sal, If you hear of a great running 259 that I can pick up for a dime...let me know. I have a couple, but don't know if they run. I'm beginning (after 40 years) to have ideas of plopping one in my little 1955 E-5 truck. I already have an overdrive, truck manifold, big radiator, and other items to make it look stock. If I can get one for a dime...I'd even consider driving a couple hundred miles to pick it up.

Just saying...kinda begging

About thirty (or so) years ago, a fellow that lived about 7 miles north of me, bought a '51 Starlight Coupe with an OHV six installed. It looked great. He never joined the SDC and I lost contact with him. Don't know what became of him or the car. I believe he bought the car from someone in N.C. It looked to have the traditional Studebaker dark green color for the year. Perhaps someone knows of the car. The man I knew was a manager at a local bank. Memory tells me that either his first (or last) name was Conrad. When he first bought the car, someone had told him that it had an American Motors engine in it. It wasn't until I looked it over, that he learned he had an "all Studebaker" car.

The reason I remember as much as I do about this, is that I was puzzled that someone would buy a car without really knowing what they were buying. He told me that he bought it because his family had one when he was a kid. Now, he had the money, his wife thought it was cute, he liked it...so he bought it.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I too would make that swap. Just be sure that it has a good head, is well torqued, and do not let it overheat or otherwise abuse it.
                    That same friend of mine (who did his first OHV swap back in the 70's when gas prices first went stupid) has driven his 2 for 10's and 10's of thousands of miles. His caution would be that with a 185 OHV with a 2 barrel carb, if you try hard enough,you can trash a T-96. Cavaet, he did get some pretty outrageous valve recession driving from FL to MO at well over 75 miles per hour.
                    Remember that when Studebaker went to the OHV6, they saw fit to drop back from the 185 flat to just 170 ci's of OHV.
                    Result was more horses and torque, and WAY better mpg's (period driving tests reprinted in old Turning Wheels comparing the then new 1961 Lark 6 with the previous year's flathead )than the flat 6.
                    In fact I can hardly wait to get my "new" plain-jane 1962 OHV 6 Lark up and driving.
                    And yes, the V-8 will still always be stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      Gee Sal, If you hear of a great running 259 that I can pick up for a dime...let me know. I have a couple, but don't know if they run. I'm beginning (after 40 years) to have ideas of plopping one in my little 1955 E-5 truck. I already have an overdrive, truck manifold, big radiator, and other items to make it look stock. If I can get one for a dime...I'd even consider driving a couple hundred miles to pick it up.
                      sals54

Comment

I'm with Sal, that's the way to do it. Look for the less desirable cars, think 4 door sedans, that have what you need. That's what I did to upgrade my Conestoga. I ended up with a full flow 4 barrel 289, Dana 44, 11 inch finned brakes and later model front suspension and came out money ahead after I sold off parts I did not plan to use. It was like someone paid me to take them.
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

sals54

Comment

Working...
                          X