Avanti # 0001 update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti # 0001 update

From the Daily Sun News Sunnyside, Washington March 7th, 2014.

By Jennie McGhan
    The Avanti I was one of the first vehicles built with aerodynamics in mind. Studebaker was known for the unique design, particularly the nose of the vehicle.

####Mr. Hochhalter said his first car was a Studebaker.
    ##
    By Jennie McGhan
    Rivets, body filler, netting and holes have all been removed from this 1963 Studebaker Avanti I, which will be on display at the LaMay-American Car Museum in Tacoma in the next few months.

##The Avanti I was built by Studebaker for two years before the company went out of business.
    #The sports car that will soon be shipped to LaMay-American Car Museum in Tacoma has been restored to its original splendor, including the original paint color.
    ##There were rivets from attempts to repair the body work and filler everywhere, he said.
    #Hochhalter said every part of the body required work. It was sanded four times before the lines were smooth again.
    #
    Photo courtesy of Advanced Collision
    A big hole in the right rear quarter panel of the Avanti I has been repaired since it arrived in Sunnyside looking like this.

#The Hochhalters said the work could not have been completed without the countless hours donated by their staff, as well as the generosity from Wesco of Yakima and PPG.
    ####Mrs. Hochhalter said the vehicle will be appraised for its value when it returns to LaMays with all its components.
    #To place a cherry on the top of this delectable piece of American muscle, the couple will also be sending their AVANTI1 license plate down the road with the car.
    #They said they had to give up rights to the plate so that it could be issued to the car, but they feel it is a fitting and appropriate contribution.
    #

I don't pretend to know anything at all about what is going on here , but

since when would Avanti 0001 have been built in 1963 . Lack of other replies

to this 'thread' lead me to think that something is not quite right . Comments ?

CRUISER

Comment

Maybe the writer got it wrong. Happens a lot. For example, just because it's number "0001" doesn't make it an "Avanti I" as written.
      sigpic
      Bob Shaw
      Rush City, Minnesota
      1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
      "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser View Post
        I don't pretend to know anything at all about what is going on here , but since when would Avanti 0001 have been built in 1963 . Lack of other replies to this 'thread' lead me to think that something is not quite right . Comments ? CRUISER
        I think you are right- it may not have been built in '63.
        More about this project here~ http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=avanti

Originally posted by BShaw View Post
        Maybe the writer got it wrong.
        That's not all he got wrong~ the owner's name is spelt 'LeMay'.
        The timeline in which it'll be on display is likely off a bit as well...
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

If the Avanti was the 1st car designed with aerodynamics in mind (as the reporter states), why was the Chrysler Airflow designed like it was in the '30s?

Comment

And don't forget the '33 Pierce 'Silver' Arrow showcars that pre -date

the Chrysler Airflow . Oh , the Pierce Arrow Company was owned by

Studebaker at the time . Studebaker engineered the bodies and built

them for Pierce . Oh oho , think the 'thread' got a bit hijacked !!!

CRUISER

Comment

This is a first.

No would be automotive writer has ever mixed up the facts or gotten things wrong in a Studebaker story before, have they?
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

As noted, there is often little factual material in many "historical" reports, no matter where one looks. I know there is ALWAYS accurate info here.

Comment

Working...
                X