PDA

View Full Version : Opting out - NOW WITH PHOTOS!!!

Roscomacaw
03-10-2014, 10:17 PM
I've not sent in my dues this year - intentionally. I'm out. It's not fun anymore - it hasn't been "fun" for at least a few years, in truth. Nothing to do with SDC or any of the polished egos that persevere here. It's just that after 40 years (about 8 of which SDC has steadfastly refused to acknowledge - in spite of my name in the rosters of those years), there's not much thrill and intrigue left to this pursuit. No sour grapes (in spite of the aforementioned deliberate oversight), no nuthin'. I just wanna do different things with whatever time fate affords me. I've had a great time, I've done things - Studebaker - that afforded me great satisfaction which would've left the average Joe scratching their heads over. I've never had any sort of a "bucket list", and still don't.
When I first got into cars, I had prior fascination with model airplanes - I even have a patent for a toy airplane that I developed in the 70s - never made any money from it, but it was satisfying nonetheless to develop something that combined my artistic talents with my fascination of things that fly. I've always found it satisfying to take a bunch of sticks and tissue and fashion it into something that would take wing - tho I haven't pursued that aim since the late 80s, and now it's beckoning me again.
There are other factors too. Among them is the fact that my wife's gonna retire in June and I want to spend more time focusing on things that I can do to assist her interests (gardening primarily - and we do it BIG time here). Another factor is the cost of gasoline. When it was two bucks a gallon, that was fine. 'cause honestly - I wasn't gonna own a bunch of Sunday show 'n shine curios. If I couldn't DRIVE them as they were meant to be - I didn't want them. I've said that for longer than I can remember. Remember: "We'd rather fix than switch!"? I took that motto to HEART - however crazy that sounds now. Regular is hovering at $3.50 here now. Sadly, our incomes have not matched that price growth in the past 20 years. Somewhere since '02, it's ceased to be fun when I had to think about what a day's casual cruising might cost. We're not one of the one percent. And I can buy a LOT of model airplane satisfaction for the price of a tank of regular.
For now, I hope to keep Pete (our 3E Transtar) and one other Stude car (I'm aiming for the '58 Provincial), but so much other stuff is gonna go. Don't get excited about my C-K stuff 'cause there ain't none. Not anything, that is, but this and that for those body styles. What I suspect is there's gonna be a couple ofr loads of stuff that'll end up on our local scrap yard scales.
Anyway, there ya have it. We (Ken Pyle and I) are trying to get this 64 R1 Hawk ready for ebay. It's gonna be there eventually. Beyond that - who knows. Like ol' "what-should-I-be-a-member-for?" Sal - I'll hang out here now and then. But my days with SDC are closing down.

StudeRich
03-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Very sorry to hear that Bob, this is a bit of a shock to me, because it is one thing to decide that the Forum is not where you want to spend your time, but SDC and Studebakers too? :ohmy:

That's a real shocker alright! After being so involved for so many years, it is hard to believe you would sell the '60 Convertible and the '57 Pres. 2 door Sedan and just "go away". :confused: :(

63t-cab
03-10-2014, 10:42 PM
The truth is every thing runs it's course,and here You are - I will simply wish You WELL :)

Dick Steinkamp
03-10-2014, 11:00 PM
I'm glad I know you, Bob. (and not just for the pomelos ;))

I'm also happy you are keeping the Provincial. It is one of my favorite Studes of all time.

When Lisa retires, come on up for a visit. It's your turn.

dnevin
03-10-2014, 11:13 PM
I only know you through the forum (I think) but I know I'll miss you and that others have the same feeling. This said, you have to go with your heart.

If, after a bit of a time out you get the itch again, you'll always be welcome in Studedom.

Take care and look for that fun.

rockne10
03-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Sometimes too, it's relaxing to just be peripheral.

gordr
03-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Sorry to hear that, Bob. I will always treasure you as a friend. Don't be a stranger; pop in here from time to time, and keep us posted on your exploits. People do care about you, you know.

showbizkid
03-11-2014, 12:17 AM
Bob, you were one of the first guys to reach out and help me when I first came into the club. Barney probably wouldn't be running so nice right now if it wasn't for you. You and Pete hold a fond place in my heart, and I'm going to miss you around here.

rockne10
03-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Quite probably member number 2, 3, 4 or 5 of the forum back when it started in 2005. Member number 2, 3, 4 or 5 of the left coast chapter when it started in the last century?

stude dude
03-11-2014, 01:17 AM
Sometimes you just need a break from things. We can get so completely absorbed by our hobbies that we can forget about other priorities in life.

Chris.

candbstudebakers
03-11-2014, 01:35 AM
Bob you have to do what you want to really do, so good luck to you and what ever, hope to see you around now and then at something, your friend Bob (candbstudebakers)

Bob Andrews
03-11-2014, 04:28 AM
See ya Biggs.

AKAchamptrucking
03-11-2014, 04:49 AM
Wish you well kind sir!

55 56 PREZ 4D
03-11-2014, 05:32 AM
I don't know you personally, have only had dealings with you through the forum and through the mail.
I found you to be honest in your dealings and a great value to the forum, helpful and knowledgeable.
I joined the forum when "BIGGS" was still around.
I wish you well and thank you.

jackb
03-11-2014, 07:51 AM
God speed Roscow.......just for a chew: I recently dropped out of another hobby that brought loads of fun for me.... on a regular basis. As my interest dwindled, I began to think about being sure not to burn any bridges while heading for the exit. I expect to return to that hobby fun sometime in the future...... GL

BobPalma
03-11-2014, 07:56 AM
Bob, I, too, am certainly sorry to read this. :( While folks come and go as to the intensity of their interest and participartion, I hate to see anyone check out altogether, doggone it, least of which a fellow of your enthusiasm...I mean, what's to become of your famous horn button collection...or the 1957 President 2-door?

I am concerned about this statement:

It's just that after 40 years (about 8 of which SDC has steadfastly refused to acknowledge - in spite of my name in the rosters of those years)...

All I can think of is that you were due a 40-year SDC Membership Pin and did not receive it; is that true? If it is something else, I'd like to know. PM if you'd rather not post it. Thanks. (It should be no trouble to secure a pin if you are due one, and I'd like to know what happened there, if that's the case. I've never paid much attention to them and might have even been sent one. If so and I can find it, I'll send it to you if that is an issue.)

If you ever get back to the Midwest amongst your travels, please stop by on your way to South Bend. All the best. :!: BP

warrlaw1
03-11-2014, 08:25 AM
You have helped me, too, and I'd gladly pay your membership for a couple more years...but I respect your decision. I'm trying to slowly exit my business and look forward to new adventures, too. Maybe I just need a rest :)

jclary
03-11-2014, 08:33 AM
:QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ: :QQ::QQ::QQ::QQ:

Really:ohmy: I just turned this computer on and noticed this! I know that over the time I've been here, awkwardly stumbling my way around, butting heads, sometimes offending, hopefully learning...I always enjoyed your posts and found them either helpful, entertaining, or both.

Even if you don't keep a SDC card in your wallet...please hang out here when it suits you.:)

8E45E
03-11-2014, 08:48 AM
I sincerely hope you and the Mrs. enjoy yourselves while you take a well-deserved 'time out'. And it is great that you will be keeping two of your cars as many have later regretted selling out once interest in them wanes. Because you are keeping one foot in the water, I have no doubt in my mind you will check back once in a while here.

Craig

rkapteyn
03-11-2014, 09:13 AM
I do not believe you!
You have studebaker crankcase oil in your veins, you can never escape.
Move away from the central valley and breath fresh air.You will get over it.
Its the valley fever that is clouding your brains.
We all love you,please get better.
Robert Kapteyn

cruiser
03-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Anyone who has had a long term relationship with a HOBBY is entitled to get

a bit jaded after a while , especially if inside and outside factors lower the

tone of everything sometimes . My example would be gas prices too . Over

here , the price is about $1.50 per liter at the moment , so my Studebakers

only get a drive a couple of times a month and the weather better be good !

The rest of the time , my Brand 'X' does the 'A' to 'B' grind . I too waver a bit

in my support of the Old Car Hobby , but when I sit back and think of the real

experience I have had with the cars and the people , I feel renewed . Oh , I

guess I should say this is also my 40 years with SDC and I have a badge to

prove it . Good luck to you in all your future endeavours . Happy Days !!!

CRUISER

03-11-2014, 09:35 AM
I do not believe you!
You have studebaker crankcase oil in your veins, you can never escape.
Move away from the central valley and breath fresh air.You will get over it.
Its the valley fever that is clouding your brains.
We all love you,please get better.
Robert Kapteyn
Well said!
However, I have known Bob for quite a while and I can tell you that he has many talents beyond Studebaker. I have been lucky enough to receive a number of his writings and they are great.
Other than knowing him from the old alt.autos.studebaker newsgroup I first saw him when he came up to Castro Valley to meet us when we picked up the '64 Avanti that had belonged to Fred Nelson. Pete quickly qualified for listing in my "Wow" category. Even my wife was impressed. Then in 2003 Bob drove clear down to Barstow in Pete to meet and greet our Potomac Chapter on our Route 66 expedition. He drove with us to Victorville where he presented us with golden leis. He is on the Potomac Chapter "Wow" list too.

studeski
03-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Stude - St. Bob hate to hear it But have fun what ever you do! I was just gonna send you a PM. But I'll post here. What does this horn button come from?

JEWELL
03-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Ok, this is just an early "April Fools" joke, right?

Mark

Anne F. Goodman
03-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Well I cant say that I didn't see this coming. I would like to Thank You Bob you have helped me and my family with Studebaker Stuff for shoot has it been 14 years. Wow time flies when you are having fun. Bob introduced me to the forum in 2006 that is the same year I became President of our local Chapter. I consider us friends and even though he is opting out he can't get rid of me that easy. No way I'm still gonna call and bug him with my problems. cause that's what friends do. In fact this Saturday Our Chapter and the Cam Twisters of Fresno are coming your way. We will be in Visalia at the A&W on Willis Street around 5Pm we sure hope to see you there. Lots of Studes and Hot Rods COME ON DOWN March 15th @5pm

drpreposterous
03-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Rosco: We've never conversed, but wherever you go,whatever you do, I hope you find your sense of fun again! At the very least, you'll bring the unconventionality of the Studebaker temperament to your new pursuits!

Cheers,
Brian

Roscomacaw
03-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Well, all the kind sentiments are greatly appreciated here. And before I/we go any further, I wasn't writing my obituary - not even in a manner of speaking. I'm just lamenting out loud that I don't have the "fire" I used to. I'll still look in here on a regular basis, but for quite some time now, I've only looked in on the general Studebaker topics forum. Frankly, I've been trying to divorce myself more from this keyboard the last few years. I love using it to express myself and interact with those of like interests. I'm actually pretty quick with my fingers - which has enabled me to be one of the more prolific posters thru the years. I'd be willing to bet I've posted WAY MORE >words< here than anyone else has. And the reason for that is that I've long ago realized that to get your message across without ANY chance of being misunderstood - you use lots of words. Heh - I've always found it chucklsome when folks apologize for posting more than two sentences - like you're intruding on someone by making therm read too much! Folks come to these forums to read - not to be word count cops. Bandwidth is no longer something you have to worry about exceeding here. OK. so anyway.

Having turned 69 last month, I resolved that I would lighten my "load" around the StudeFarm. I'm 9 years older than my wife. It's likely she's gonna survive me as time goes on. She wouldn't know a Lark headlight bezel from one for a C-cab truck (understand that she HAS learned to identify such items - she knows carburetors from distributors, and headlight bezels from hub caps as well as horn buttons:) So there's that facet to consider.
While I'm still agile enough to get things done around here - getting up and down around a car gets less and less fun as time goes on - tho sometimes I actually surprise myself as to what I still can muster. When we moved here some 25 years ago, this place looked big. (It's 2 & 1/2 acres) Now it looks even bigger and I swear it's growing. Cars or no - I have to ask myself how long I want to (or CAN, even) keep beating this place into shape. We couldn't WAIT to get our piece of country real estate so we'd have room to do things two and a half decades ago. Now I reminisce fondly about our days in the mobile home park - with a postage stamp-sized lot and neighbors tolerant enough to let a car be restored in the carport when that was clearly against the rules.
But we're here - pretty much whether we wanna be or not. We had a fleeting and financially expedient chance to move back to Michigan this past summer. We could have purchased the home the wife grew up in at a bargain price (Monroe Michigan), but the arctic winter and the inevitable mosquito hordes of summer kept us here.

It was with hesitation that I started this thread. I mean - after all - I wouldn't have had to make an official statement of my intent. And I do hope saying I'm easing out is not a detriment to the Stude community. Paul Johnson (thanks for your kind words pal) and his downsizing was but one such development that had me thinking about this for some time. When TW shows up of late - I don't dive into it with zeal as I used to. Sometimes I barely skim it to see what's in it. Next thing I know the next one's here and I've barely looked at the last. I could afford the dues just as a matter of continuity - but why?
And a forty year pin doesn't mean anything to me in and of itserlf - but the recognition that I HAVE BEEN a Studebaker sort since '73 does. And it wrankled me, when I re-joined SDC in '85, that they refused to acknowledge the 6 or 7 years prior to a divorce getting in the way of continuous membership. Why would they infer that I only came into the fold in '85? But whatever.
I have been here since almost the VERY beginning of these forums. Maybe Bob Shaw's got me beat. My aim was to offer my years of Studebaker experience to those with less of it and make friends in the process. I feel I was successful on both counts. Folks I butted heads with became friends and folks I initially made friends with, I ended up butting heads with. Some still think of me as a "butthead" - and I'm OK with that. As I like to say: "the last perfect person was crucified at age 33". The fact that I've made it to 69 means I've been adequately imperfect enough to survive.

I have thought about liquidating my horn button and hub cap collections. I have NO idea how much I have invested in them or how much the ought to be worth today. There's only one postwar button I've never attained an example of (Packard Hawk) while there are a number of prer-war pieces that I never really did try to track down. I think I can safely say that 25 years after I took a notion to assemble such a display, it would be a lot tougher to start such a quest now. When some tag lite plastic badges have commanded well into the hundreds of dollars, I start to think a 5-figure value (for this collection) is not so crazy after all. Throw in a lighted, multi-tiered display case and some really nice horn rings and..... I won't even think about the boxes and boxes of brand X horn buttons, badges, scripts and ID tags that collect dust in the shop. I'd love to put those things on ebay, but again - such commands my spending hours at the keyboard - not to mention photographing them - packing them adequately - etc., etc..
OK - Ken needs my help bleeding the brakes on the Hawk. More later.....

53commander
03-11-2014, 01:41 PM
I only know of you through the forum but it's always a bummer to see someone move on. All I can say is model airplanes are cool so best wishes to you.

52hawk
03-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Sorry to read this,but I guess I know how you feel! It was mostly your wit and wisdom that made me so very interested in this forum. You can bet I've always read any post that you responded to!
So thank You very much for your forum presence over the years,and GoodLuck in any thing you do in the future!! Take Care.

Warren Webb
03-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Mr. Biggs, I am 3 years behind you & understand how you feel. I bought this place a little over 5 years ago to house all my cars & be able to work on them. I still don't have them all here. My projects seem to grow instead of shrink. That's just the Studebaker side, not counting the 68 Pontiac or the 41 ford, the Volvo & Barracuda. My wife too is much younger than me & knows even less then yours so I can relate on what would or could happen if I passed away. I've never met you in person, at least not yet, but view you as an old friend. Your going away from here hurts almost as much as a final passing. The outcry here shows how your loved and will be deeply missed unless you have a change of heart. I just wanted to get in line & express my feelings but I do understand yours.

Orestudeguy
03-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Bob,
When we met at La Palma oh so many years ago, I was impressed with your knowledge of all things Studebaker. I found you to be pleasant, honest, a wealth of information, a source to buy parts from and over the years a great friend.
I do understand your thoughts and feelings. I have dropped out of my local chapter the first of the year, partly because of the lack of members wanting to do anything.
I will stay in the SDC as I'm not completely burned out yet. I am getting ready to put my 1964 Wagonaire up for sale just to thin out the flock.
I enjoy reading your "writings" and will miss them. Hopefully, as others have said that you drop in with an update on things and a story once in awhile.
Take care my friend and stay in touch!

Roscomacaw
03-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Thanks friends! All of you have made my life a better one - whether we've shook hands one time - shared a drink in South Bend or only have known one another thru the forums. I will keep a presence here - sharing whatever Studebakery things I do.

Mark57
03-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Sorry to hear you are leaving (sort of)... I have appreciated your commentary on a number of Studebaker related things over the years and my Transtar is still using the used parts you sent my way a few years back - he still looks pretty happy about it! :)

Take care Bob and safe travels!

2R5
03-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Hate to read this but I do understand . I don't know you good Bob but our ride from Omaha to South Bend we got to know each other some what. I'm sure glad I got to meet you and I hope you hang in here and write the odd story.....good to have met:!!:

studegary
03-11-2014, 04:20 PM
I know that you are intelligent enough to make the decision that is correct for you. I will not try to change your mind.
I thought that I post here a lot and then noticed that you have even more posts than I have.

As I have stated, when I got into my 70s, I could tell that I was slowing down.
At last count, I had 27 periodicals arriving on a regular basis. I couldn't keep up, so I have been letting many subscriptions lapse. This includes some that I have had for a long time, like Motor Trend since 1964 (with older individual issues) and Old Cars (Weekly) since it started in 1971.

Just today, I was thinking about the box of excellent fruit that you sent to me.
I thought CA was expensive, but the cheapest self serve regular around here today is $3.719. I don't mind the gasoline price now that we don't commute to work any longer. It is the $700-750 per month for fuel oil for heat that we feel (in two ways).
I remember our visit in South Bend, but I do not expect to see you in Dover unless someone pays you to deliver a car.

I believe the pins for years in SDC are awarded for continuous years of membership, not the total of years that you have belonged. It was too bad about your need to leave SDC for a period, but I believe that is why you did not get a 40 year pin. It would require 40 years of continuous membership, not 40 total years. I wonder if SDC has given out any 50 year pins yet.

tbredehoft
03-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Bob, if/when you get back into Free Flight, consider http://volareproducts.com/ My son and I can supply you with any Superior Props you might want. I've got five years on you and am having a ball, making these things and making/modifying jigs and fixtures to make them easier.

Lark Parker
03-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Stude - St. Bob hate to hear it But have fun what ever you do! I was just gonna send you a PM. But I'll post here. What does this horn button come from?

I think that might be a 1942 Champion but I would rather trust Bob's opinion. It's been several years since I've seen one as they are scarce if it is a 42.

david w. davis
03-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Sorry to read your post. I have enjoyed our friendship for at least 20 years. Although we don't see or talk to each other on a regular basics, I do count you as a friend. It has been a pleasure working with you in the San Joaquin Chapter. Best wishes to you and the wife.

Davis W. Davis
Clovis, CA

8E45E
03-11-2014, 05:13 PM
I wonder if SDC has given out any 50 year pins yet.

We do have a member here in our chapter who joined in 1963, and as far as I know, never let his SDC membership lapse. He does not get himself involved with computers and the internet, and therefore, will never be seen here on the Forum.

(I will leave it at this~perhaps you may want to initiate a new thread on '50 year members')

BobPalma
03-11-2014, 05:16 PM
As I like to say: "the last perfect person was crucified at age 33".

This is encouraging....:) BP

Skip Lackie
03-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Sorry to hear it, but I know you'll do the right thing for you. And at a couple of years your senior, I really do understand "slowing down" and trying to extract the most fun out of what is left. I've enjoyed our interactions and appreciated your advice. We'll miss you a lot more than you miss us.
Skip

jims53
03-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Bob, Just wanted to share this picture from back in the day... This was the last F84 we completed, good luck...jim

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Corvanti
03-11-2014, 07:29 PM
as others, i'm sorry to hear about you moving on to other endeavors, but i do understand changes made in pursuit of happiness in the time we have left.

i thank you again for the back issues of TW you sent me and for many informative posts here on the forum!:!!:

i'm hoping the Stude bug - booster innoculation - will bite you soon!!!;)

Good luck, be happy and have fun...

Roscomacaw
03-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Bob, Just wanted to share this picture from back in the day... This was the last F84 we completed, good luck...jim

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Wha??? Where was this photo taken, Jim? I worked for Lockheed field service at Toledo airport in 67. We were updating the ANG's F-84Fs

Bo Markham
03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
So Long Biggs.

57pack
03-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Hi Bob, We have never met but through your posts you have helped me many times.
Glad to hear you will keep a foot in the postings here.
I joined the SDC in the early 70's when Charlie Still spotted me driving my 1950 Land Cruiser one day back then and signed me up. Then I met my soon to be wife, had three children and a mortgage.
Studebakers and the SDC were put aside. I just rejoined a few years ago after said children had grown, married, and the mortgage paid. I guess this Studebaker itch comes and goes.
Good luck with your new endeavors!

jims53
03-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Wha??? Where was this photo taken, Jim? I worked for Lockheed field service at Toledo airport in 67. We were updating the ANG's F-84Fs

Bob I started there in 67, just missed you might have replaced you after you left. You should know some of the people in the picture. This was the last acft., the picture was taken after the test flight. After the rewire also replaced the left wing. The picture was taken around 1969... Jim

sals54
03-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Anyway, there ya have it. We (Ken Pyle and I) are trying to get this 64 R1 Hawk ready for ebay. It's gonna be there eventually. Beyond that - who knows. Like ol' "what-should-I-be-a-member-for?" Sal - I'll hang out here now and then. But my days with SDC are closing down.[/QUOTE]

Did I hear someone use my name in vain??? I'm shocked and appalled. Well, not really. I get it. Lately, I've been not much more than a casual observer, with an occasional Stude find here and there.

woodysrods
03-12-2014, 12:57 AM
Mr. Biggs, I am 3 years behind you & understand how you feel. I bought this place a little over 5 years ago to house all my cars & be able to work on them. I still don't have them all here. My projects seem to grow instead of shrink. That's just the Studebaker side, not counting the 68 Pontiac or the 41 ford, the Volvo & Barracuda. My wife too is much younger than me & knows even less then yours so I can relate on what would or could happen if I passed away. I've never met you in person, at least not yet, but view you as an old friend. Your going away from here hurts almost as much as a final passing. The outcry here shows how your loved and will be deeply missed unless you have a change of heart. I just wanted to get in line & express my feelings but I do understand yours.
Warren's response was almost everything I would have written after reading all of the posts on this thread.
With the exception of a couple of the numbers it could have been written by me.
And I know the feelings you are having!
Since I viewed your DYSD video of you and Pete, I have been dieing to meet you in person.
Still hope that happens sometime in the near future.
I too have a new passion since I retired last Apr. 29th. We left the driveway with our new "Studebaker" based teardrop in tow behind our 46 M Series.
You should check me out over on the TnTTT Forum just for kicks. I post there everyday.......I am "Vedette".
Good Roads
Brian

doug
03-12-2014, 01:14 AM
I won't say good bye, just catch you later. When you were in the L.A. area we had a few good conversations. I do miss the yellow convertible though.

Doug

studeski
03-12-2014, 06:58 AM
As I recall Bob has had at least two handles on this forum, so he's posted at least 30,000 times. Amazing! I also recall the newsgroup days (alt.). I also remember the telnet BB days when some of us Studebaker guys chimed in. Last time Bob and I had a conversation was in Glendale 2010. Great guy!

Studerick64
03-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Bob, over the years at Fred Damsen's and Alt.autos and now the Forums its been good knowing you were in my general area. You always replied when I had questions, it would be good to see you at the Zone meet in Sacramento. I am long time lurker Rick Pierce alias Studerick I appreciate your generous input to our hobby.

sweetolbob
03-12-2014, 11:28 AM
I generally try to not get involved with personal decisions of folks I don't know very well but because I just buried a 65 YO BIL (and very close friend) that lost interest in the things that stirred his drink, I'm going suggest that one should be careful about giving up and not replacing the things that brings someone passion and fulfillment.

I now wish I had done/said more to Rick, Don't know what but something. So just a word of caution from a member that has several years on you and lost a couple of close friends recently. Be sure to find passion and fulfillment somewhere so there's something to look forward to tomorrow.

In any case, good luck with your decisions.

Sorry about the downer but we're to old to make quick/poor decisions. Bob

swvalcon
03-12-2014, 11:33 AM
My guess is you will be back. The old car hobby and auto racing are two things they dont have a cure for. No shot's no pill's and no twelve step plan unless you quit cold you always seem to come back sooner or later. But untill then enjoy what ever you do.

jclary
03-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Bear with me while I try to make a point. I have a point.:rolleyes: For reasons I’ll not go into here, I spent much of my adolescent days contemplating my demise.:( It was the troubled years of my youth that led me to major in psychology in college. (Then spend a career in mechanics and engineering…go figure.):oops:

I spent an inordinate amount of time contemplating various ways of doing myself in and imagining the various eulogies that would have resulted by all those who would be impacted by such an event.:confused:

There were two main reasons (besides being a coward) that kept me from carrying out such a horrible deed. First, was that I was taught that doing yourself in was murder. And, that if you murder yourself, you wouldn’t have time to repent, therefore, you’d get sent to hell for not repenting for murder!:eek:

Second (and most important)…If I were going to have folks I was mad at, have to regret what ever it was they did to cause me to do myself in…I wanted to be around to witness it!:mad: Thank goodness…I never figured out how to accomplish that part!:)

So…to my point…look at this thread…Bob has figured out how to elicit some fantastic eulogies!!!!!...and be able to hang around to see the results.:!:

It didn’t involve any gunshots, riding a horse off a cliff, jumping out of his dad’s moving car, grieving mothers, sisters, brothers, etc.:o

I am in AWE! :cheers:

Roscomacaw
03-12-2014, 05:05 PM
OK, JC - you got a chuckle outta me. And I'm glad you never did follow thru with your own demise. The only serious note is that I hope you don't see my easing out as a way to generate pity or notice to myself. What I wrote came from my heart. I have sworn off of these forums in the past, but my doing so was a form of protest - not some stunt. And I don't think I intimated anywhere (in the OP) that I was never gonna be back here again. I was only lamenting out loud that I can't do these old cars (Studes) anymore since my primary motivation for most of my time with them was to be able to drive something cool and different from all the soap bars that skitter the hiways today. It's actually been a few years since the realization that I really couldn't keep a driveable bevy of Studes ready to choose from whenever I wanna go somewhere. Heh.... It's been just a few months since I had to slap myself back to sanity when I started daydreaming about scooting around town in the 64 R1 Hawk I'm rehabbing. I've got a lead foot..... and this Hawk's gonna want Premium where my soap bar ain't so finicky. Ask ol' Pete if I ain't got a lead foot - he knows.

Anyways, here's hoping I remain your friend and innovative euology-generator, RoscoMcBiggs

jclary
03-12-2014, 05:22 PM
OK, JC - you got a chuckle outta me....
Anyways, here's hoping I remain your friend and innovative euology-generator, RoscoMcBiggs

Thanks...that was my only intent...mission accomplished.:!:

Stu Chapman
03-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Bob, I too have got to know you through the Forum. For what bit's worth I recently turned 80 and there is certainly some slowing down. But since Studebaker has been a key part of my life since 1963 (1947 in my dreams) I can't imagine ever leaving everything connected with it. Please reconsider and still receive the best club magazine produced and kick in the odd comment on the Forum.

Stu Chapman

LeoH
03-13-2014, 11:33 AM
Thanks for sharing these thoughts and I will miss reading your emails as well.

I completely understand your motivations, as well as what those sorts of decisions mean when YOU are rolling them around in your head. I definitely get the impetus to do other things in life than loiter around the computer. It's interesting though, spending more time interacting with a virtual life group of people is a whole new dynamic we're all learning what those implications are and it is a valid level of connecting and communication; however we only have so much time in the day and in our lives.

It sounds like you're making the sorts of decisions we all have to do from time to time. Enjoy sharing your time with your spouse. That is the sort of real life interaction we should be keeping tabs on. I'm sure you can pass on a hey there to folks you see who still will be connected with studebakerdom as the time passes.

Best of life to you both.

Ironically, I was logging on to ask about going all Stude from the group mind when I saw your thread title.

"...Look Daddy, teacher told us when a Studebaker owner sells his stash, a new member joins the Studebaker Club!" or something like that. ;)

Roscomacaw
04-18-2014, 08:38 PM
In NO small part - thanks to Anne and David Goodman - I'm starting to divest myself of some of my Studes and stuff. This week they hauled off the stagnated project of a 63 Cruiser some of you may remember. Two days later we liberated the '61 Cruiser I had stripped and plundered to the derision of others. That 61 has helped SIX other Studes that I can recall - no - wait - SEVEN - I'm sure there's more.... now I recall an eighth one. And it's gonna surrender it's engine to another still. And there's STILL lots of great parts to be used on other Studes - I pointed out to Anne that the bases of all six pillars are in great shape as is the whole floor. And then there's all the shift linkage and that TT rear it sports as well as a full V8 drum brake setup. I can't speak as to Anne's intent for these aforementioned bits, but that she's saving them - as opposed to them making a trip to Hong Chang - they have a bright future.

The '63 is going to get finished in fine Goodman fashion and Anne's daughter-in-law is gonna drive it. Such a deal. :!: 34122

Studedude
04-18-2014, 09:32 PM
This is great news!!

What does the future hold for your convertible?

StudeRich
04-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Wow Bob, that is a very sharp Blue Mist Metallic or very close to it, on that '63 Lark Custom, Nice!
Did David shoot it?

With all of the Glass & Vent Posts out, it has a sorta Italia Frua Lark look. :woot:

Roscomacaw
04-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Dave, I don't know what's in store for ol' Sunshine. I DID mention it to Anne today, but explained that I'd have to get the OK from my better half as she's tied to that car sentimentally.

Rich, my old paint and body guy painted that Cruiser. I believe that fella is no longer of this world - he wouldn't take care of his diabetic condition and I surmise he's dead because he hasn't been around since 2010. I've tried all his old hangouts and no one knows what became of him. He was a great paint guy, but never transitioned from teenager to adulthood mentally speaking. I dismissed him when was sick to the point he was wasting materials because he was so ill. A year later I couldn't (and still haven't) find him.

Studedude
04-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Dave, I don't know what's in store for ol' Sunshine. I DID mention it to Anne today, but explained that I'd have to get the OK from my better half as she's tied to that car sentimentally.
I'm with your better half!

Roscomacaw
05-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Tomorrow's going to be a landmark day for me. About 80 - 90% of the Stude parts I've been holding onto (some up to 24 years!) are leaving in one fell swoop. Dearest Anne is the driving force behind this effort and she's assembled a small army of volunteers and PU trucks to pull it off. Since I still have a few Studes here, I'll be holding onto a few things that might serve me, but other'n that, it's outta here. What she and the chapter does with the stuff is their business. Of course, ideally it'll serve members Studes and projects as needed - but whatever. And it's a damn sight better'n seeing it go straight to China to be turned into the things we no longer make here.

StudeDave57
05-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Tomorrow's going to be a landmark day for me. About 80 - 90% of the Stude parts I've been holding onto (some up to 24 years!) are leaving in one fell swoop.

Wow Bob- that is BIG news!!! I am sorry I could never put something together on my end, but it's nice to hear it'll be going to a good home. :!!:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

edpjr
05-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Good fortune and best wishes. But, it's not the first time I've heard such sentiment. 40 years ago, the biggest Studebaker name in my general area was a guy named Truett Ray. And, he won't even acknowledge Sbakers anymore. I was first an SDC member starting in 1973 at age 18 years old. But after I sold off my '59 black 2-dr HT Lark VIII auto w/4bbl with dual exhaust in 1981, I was without an Sbaker till 2008 when I picked up a '66 Commander. Then beginning in 2009, I started a project to restore a rough '63 Avanti. That task was tough, expensive and time consuming. I'm quite proud of the car now-a-days and drive it every month or so. But, at age 58, still with a FT engineering consulting job, 4 grandkids and a new wife, I'm done spending countless hours (and $$$) bringing cars back to life. I no longer have any plans or desire to restore my '64 GT Hawk (289 4 bbl, auto-floor shift with full instrument package and front disc brakes).

Dick Steinkamp
05-03-2014, 08:29 PM
The Stude Farm won't be the same (I'm not sure if that is good or bad ;)).

Thanks for all the parts, cars, help and advice you have given me, Bob. Most of all, for the friendship. That part doesn't go away when we change hobbies.

Roscomacaw
05-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Ed, I understand. Looking back, I feel kinda silly - silly that I never treated myself to a Stude I could just turn the key and drive.... no, wait - there WAS that $300 dollar 58 Commander 2drht. But that was it. I've always bought cheap cars that needed tons of work. And as CASO cheap as I could/can buy them like that, by the time I sink numerous "grands" into them, I could just buy a decent driver. But hey - I've had fun with the whole thing. Did what I could with what I had and have actually SAVED quite a few Studes along the way or found them new owners (Like the 63 Cruiser I sold Anne's DIL) Anyway....

Well, the first round of parts relocating took place today. Gal-dangit! That Annie can rustle up a crew! Six - seven - eight vehicles - I never did count 'em. And many more "hands" than vehicles. It was about 9AM when we went right to work, and by noon straight up, I was watching truck and trailer loads of stuff drive off in one impressive rust-shedding caravan. I shed not, one tear.
Now get this...... LOL..... it's 6PM and I'm kicking around in the bits and pieces that are left - when it dawns on me! Shoot, I had THE President of SDC helping to pick up and save my collection of stuff. Who woulda thought! Carl Thomason and his bride were among those who dug in and got rust and dirt under their nails! Gotta love that kinda spirit.
When all the trucks were loaded, it was obvious that another haul would have to be made. No date is set yet, but this gives me more time to dig stuff out - from the sheds - from the shop - from the garage and elsewheres. Photos to follow.

05-03-2014, 09:00 PM
I've gone through the same process. And, my fire hasn't burned as brightly as it once did for some time. My only advice is don't do anything too quickly. I had an auctioneer come out and look over my stuff about four years ago this Spring. I may still do it if I end up having to move, but that would be the only reason. If I stay here, I know now I'd kick myself if I walked in to an empty building every day.

My negative outlook came because it's hard to have fun when the entire business world is fighting to survive, and so many people have been brainwashed to think profit is a dirty word. No one seems to realize where and how the fun things we enjoy came from. Including our Studebakers. About six months ago, I just decided to stick it out no matter what. Because if it gets bad enough it won't matter if you have cash or your stuff. We must just push on either way. I still think many younger people have been conditioned to look at people or households who have more cars than drivers as "culturally unacceptable". That in itself is an unintended consequence of all that's been drilled into our kids the past couple decades, and may be the biggest threat to our hobby. I decided to gamble they will rebel against what they were taught eventually.

I really don't care about all the peripheral matters that matter to many in the club. I look at most of the old traditions as things that may actually puzzle newer members or actually turn them off. But, tradition is important to many. Best wishes. Come back when you are ready for YOUR reasons, and don't worry about what others think.

JoeHall
05-04-2014, 09:24 AM
I am definitely through trying to "save" Studes, and would not take on another project even if given for free. I have discovered, no matter how low the purchase price, it is only a down payment, with many more installments to follow. I never saved a nickel buying fixer uppers, and woulda been many dollars and labor hours ahead if I'd coughed up more money for cars already restored. But, for folks who fix up their own, once on the road, we know the cars like the backs of our hands. If one were to hiccup, we'd probably figure out the problem while pulling to the shoulder of the road.

I cannot imagine life without Studes. The three we currently have (56J and two GTs) are more than enough to keep up with, since there's always something else to fix. They are all rolling projects that will never be "done", even though I've owned two of them since the mid 1980s and have driven them nearly half a million miles. But they are not going anywhere soon. Matter of fact, I bought enough "stuff" at South Bend yesterday to keep me in the garage another 100 hours or so.

The Studebaker camaraderie only adds to the pie, what a great time SB was the past two days ! But that's another story.

Good luck Bob, and hope you stick around with or without Studes. They'll always be in your heart & blood anyway.

Roscomacaw
05-04-2014, 01:49 PM

Here's a few photos from yesterdays parts relocation.

doug
05-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Hope all that stuff that looks like new plants don't need water. Do you know something we don't know? Can I go ahead and re-plant my front yard?

Roscomacaw
05-04-2014, 02:24 PM
They're actually thriving, Doug. Of course, the fact that we have a 240 foot deep well helps. That and drip irrigation.

StudeRich
05-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Wow! Anne's huge Studebaker cleanup crew was really kicking butt! :cool:

Roscomacaw
05-04-2014, 03:51 PM
She and her band of muscle did indeed take a BIG swipe at what's here. And at that, they didn't completely make off with the main stash of stuff - the big stuff. But they did good - I'm happy with the results. Just before they left tho, I asked David if he'd seen inside the storage shed - he confessed he hadn't. I led him around for a viewing and his first reaction was a sorta nervous laugh. I assured him there was plenty in the side shed too. And I haven't EVEN started to skim thru the shop to see what's there that can go - but there is some for sure. Anyway, the chief coordinator has deemed that they need to get the zone meet behind them before they make another trip here. Of course, the stuff's been piling up here for a quarter century - it can wait a few more days. :D

05-04-2014, 06:53 PM
You don't suppose Anne and company would be willing to come back east? Like you and I have talked, I'm kind of in the same boat you are. I've got a lot of stuff to get rid of too. I've offered some things and a few have come through, but a bunch haven't and I'm usually talking freebies (like about 50 NOS pipes, some nice sheet metal and more). One Forum member wanted the pipes and a bunch of old, but unused tires. However, he never showed and never responded to emails or a phone message. I offered a vendor to come take all my NOS parts, then pay me what he thought they were worth to him. Never happened.

BobPalma
05-04-2014, 06:57 PM
What happened to the 1957 President 2-door? :confused: BP

hawk58man
05-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Rosco, Happy Trails to you,until we meet again!! Mike

Roscomacaw
05-04-2014, 08:10 PM
What happened to the 1957 President 2-door? :confused: BP

It's still with me and I'm not thinking of parting with it for now. Still got my Provincial as well.

BobPalma
05-04-2014, 08:40 PM
It's still with me and I'm not thinking of parting with it for now. Still got my Provincial as well.

;) Excellent. :!: 'Just wanted to make sure it didn't escape. :cool: BP

rkapteyn
05-05-2014, 05:00 AM
(I wonder if SDC has given out any 50 year pins yet)[/QUOTE

I received my 45 year pin last year. 2018 will be 50 for me.
A lot of my friends from that era are gone to the Studebaker corner of heaven.
Robert Kapteyn

skyway
05-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Well, I have to say that by the looks of it, the weather at your place beat the heck out of the South Bend swap!
Best wishes Bob!

Roscomacaw
05-05-2014, 02:19 PM
The weather here has been gorgeous. Too gorgeous, in fact.

Bob Kapteyn, didn't you come down off some mountain with a coupla stone tablets???