PDA

View Full Version : selling cars on eBay

IMJ
03-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Hello,
I never sold or purchased a car on eBay and I'm sure some of you are pros at it. I couldn't find a place on the eBay site where it said if and what percentage eBay took from a successful sale. Is it just an insertion fee and flat fees for things like pictures and putting a reserve on the auction? I guess all payments must be made through paypal and fees would be associated with that. Thanks for any advice.

regards,
Jay

63 R2 Hawk
03-10-2014, 08:15 PM
I've never sold a car on ebay, but I think this is their fee schedule. If you use Paypal, that's another 3% I think.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/motorfees.html#how

Sam Ensley
03-10-2014, 09:28 PM
I've noticed that most sellers want an immediate PayPal deposit of at least $500, $1,000 and up. They don't want the whole payment through PayPal because they don't want to pay the percentage on the total price. I've never sold a car on ebay, but I've bought several. Payment depends upon a meeting of the minds according to the situation. If I can pick the car up, myself, I like to take a certified check with me. Once, I did a bank wire transfer without having seen the car, but I was pretty certain about the seller's character and integrity.

Dick Steinkamp
03-10-2014, 11:09 PM
I've noticed that most sellers want an immediate PayPal deposit of at least $500, $1,000 and up. They don't want the whole payment through PayPal because they don't want to pay the percentage on the total price. I've never sold a car on ebay, but I've bought several. Payment depends upon a meeting of the minds according to the situation. If I can pick the car up, myself, I like to take a certified check with me. Once, I did a bank wire transfer without having seen the car, but I was pretty certain about the seller's character and integrity.

As a seller, I won't relinquish the title or car with a certified check until the check clears. There are plenty of bogus cashiers/bank/certified checks out there. A wire transfer is essentially cleared funds immediately.

eBay is a bargain for selling cars. There is no other place you can get that many "eyes" on a car for sale. Plus, it's cheap. Essentially zero if it doesn't sell and $125 if it does.

IMJ
03-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Thanks you all for the information. I thought there was a percentage that eBay charged depending on the final price if the car sold, but couldn't find that on their fee schedule. I guess I must have been thinking about the auctions that I've seen on tv. I knew I could count on someone here to set me straight. Thanks again!
regards,
Jay

SScopelli
03-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Unlike auto auctions like Barrette Jackson, there is no buyers/sellers premiums. eBay just has a percentage schedule based on the final selling price paid by the seller.
If you chose to sell you car with a "reserve" and it does not sell, they will charge you for that. This was because seller's would put a million dollar reserve on it, and when the car did not sell, the seller would contact the highest bidder and sell it off eBay. SO be advised to their payments. As Dick noted, be careful of certified checks from the Congo for more than the car's selling price.

Question is..

What are you going to put on there?

RareBird
03-11-2014, 11:07 AM
I bought my Hawk on EBAY with a certified bank check - only after I flew out and inspected the car.

PackardV8
03-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Lots of clear, bright photos and more photos over, under, around and through. Anyone who knows Studes will be asking about rust, so show underneath and floors.

Description, description, description. Details, details. Anyone who knows Studes will ask a lot of questions. Anyone who doesn't will ask more, stupider questions.

Backstory. For some reason, some buyers fall in love with the history and stories about prior owners of the car.

The eBay wisdom (contradiction in terms?) is to set a high reserve the first listing to test the market. Then, when it doesn't sell, re-list with a reasonable reserve. Personally, I just decide what I want for it and let it go. Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines

wittsend
03-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Just be careful regarding the sale. Ebay charges you the fees based on the final sale price - even if the sale eventually falls through! In their mind when the auction closes the sale is binding. I once sold a Halda Twinmaster specifically stating USA sales only. The winning bid was from Europe, and the bidder wanted me to lie about the value. Like stating it was 95% less than he paid. I cancelled the sale.

I had to jump through all kinds of hoops taking HOURS of my time before Ebay refunded the fees. I put the Halda back up for sale stating multiple times (and in a larger font) it was a USA sale only. Still the winning bidder was from Europe (again). I cancelled that too. It was such a hassle the first time I just ate the fees (about $40). And if you knew me, you would understand how CASO I am. That's what a hassle it was. So, just be careful.

studegary
03-11-2014, 04:01 PM
I have bought and sold many vehicles through eBay. Give an honest description. Have a low starting/opening price to gain interest. Set a reserve that you can live with. The $500 through PayPal is to lock the buyer into the deal. Do not release the vehicle until you have guaranteed funds (cash, wire transfer) for the balance.

WinM1895
03-11-2014, 05:56 PM
2004: I bought two GT Hawks on ebay (62VK6 - 63VK6 R2), wire transferred the money to the sellers.

Dick Steinkamp
03-11-2014, 06:28 PM
eBay just has a percentage schedule based on the final selling price paid by the seller.

Not for cars. It is a flat fee of $125 even if the car sells for $100,000.

STUDEMAC
03-20-2014, 02:04 AM
i sold my corvair on ebay last spring and it was really quite smooth. i started selling stuff on ebay when i was 12 so with 8 years practice i decided to sell my car there. it was my first big item i sold on ebay. the buyer sent the bank check and when it cleared i mailed the title and a few days later the shipping guys came to get it with a car hauler. if you need any help just pm me i would be happy to give you any advice i can.