C/K hood reinforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C/K hood reinforcement

I have a fiberglass hood mounted on my 1959 Silver Hawk - as a rear opening hood - and I need some reinforcement at the back of the hood. Clearances are pretty tight there, but I noticed that the original steel hood has a reinforcing structure that would fit and obviously has the correct curvature. Here is a longshot: Does anyone have just the underhood reinforcing structure - the one at the rear of the hood with the hood hinge mounting bolts on each end - that they have removed from a C/K hood? Thanks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiberglass hood and grille.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1742757

Might not be appropriate for FG, but I used the hood stiffenesr from Classic Enterprises on my original hood. Check their website and see if it would help.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Why not fiberglass a reinforcement in? Use some styrofoam strips, and then fiberglass over them, this will create a "channel" that will stiffen the area you need. I did that on an Avanti nose panel that was too thin years ago. It's still holding up. You could also use cardboard strips.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
        Might not be appropriate for FG, but I used the hood stiffenesr from Classic Enterprises on my original hood. Check their website and see if it would help.
        Thanks for your response. I checked the Classic Enterprise website and found that their hood stiffener attaches to the hood back-to-front, rather than side-to-side, which is what I need.

Comment

Tom,

What brand is the hood? Is it a pin-on or hinged? Here is what I have, race weight but hinged.

JK

Click image for larger version

Name:	001[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1688212Click image for larger version

Name:	002[1].jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1688213Click image for larger version

Name:	003[1].jpg
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1688214

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
            Why not fiberglass a reinforcement in? Use some styrofoam strips, and then fiberglass over them, this will create a "channel" that will stiffen the area you need. I did that on an Avanti nose panel that was too thin years ago. It's still holding up. You could also use cardboard strips.

Jim
            I may just do that. The reinforcement cannot be very deep as it needs to fit between the slope of the cowl and the wiper motor. If I move the reinforcement further forward, then it interferes with the battery. I have purchase a 1/2" square steel tube that I will try to curve to fit the hood and then fiberglass over it.

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
              Tom,

What brand is the hood? Is it a pin-on or hinged? Here is what I have, race weight but hinged.

JK

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33070[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33071[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33072[/ATTACH]
              I have a pin on hood from Classglass. After seeing your hinged hood, it occurs to me that Classglass may have the inner reinforcing panel with the hinge bosses that I could buy from them and glass onto my hood. It might be cost effective to buy your hood instead. How much do you want for it and where do you live? Thanks, Tom 530-534-3309

Comment

Tom,

Sorry, my hood is NFS. I just thought you would like the info.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                  Tom,

Sorry, my hood is NFS. I just thought you would like the info.

JK
                  Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for the images. I will contact Classglass and see if they have the reinforcing panel that contains the hinge bosses.

Comment

You could always try a steel piece glued (bonded) to the hood. These days there are lots of products available because many new applications use them. Try Eastwood or similar suppliers.

Comment

Working...
                    X