Another one bites the dust.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one bites the dust.

About 2 weeks a go I had a chance to get a 62 GT for a nice price but I bought it sight unseen and knew there was no hood or interior, and it was rusty but had an engine, so I took a chance and said ok and drove about an hour one way to get it also it had four flat tires so took some along so we could get it on the trailer,

As it turned out the car had a 64 289 engine, with power steering, after getting it home and found it had water in the oil I was a little upset but after draining and flushing it out I soaked the cyl. for a week and then put a battery to it and it turned over real easy, so did a compression test and all 8 were 150 psi. and trany fluid was nice and red so put in new oil and filter and she fired first crank and the longer she ran the better she got. we pulled the fenders then the engine and trans to get at the power steering it was going to my friend Bill for his 59 hawk for helping me strip this down.

When I got the front fenders off I could see that there was no real rust just surface so off they went to be blasted and set aside, the doors and rear fenders proved to be just as nice as the fronts so they are off getting blasted. the trunk lid was toast so it is going to China.

since there was no interior getting the body off was not much trouble either but did need to cut some bolts, once off I cut the rear trunk section off so it can go on the 60 hawk I sold last week, new owner is going to install it.

My 63 R-1 4 speed GT needs some front floor work so the pieces will be coming from this car, I could not have found a better set of fronts.

The frame is rust free so will be saved for some else in the future, all the brakes system drums, and backing plates and pieces are going to the UK along with the engine and trans. the frame is for sale if any one is interested.

The dash is a full dash with a working tach. and is being saved not much of it is going to China but some, so this one could have been saved and would have been a good rust free body GT but sometimes they are worth more as parts than a whole car.

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Your like a native american hunting, not letting a single good peice go to waste. At least no can your letting good stuff go waste.

Comment

Way to repurpose and save a couple of the heard! You are to be commended Bob!

Comment

I agree with this thread except this particular 1964 Hawk never really 'died'; it's (mostly) living on in several other C/K types.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The car was a 62 GT only the engine was from a 64 not sure if lark or GT, it is all cleaned and shrinked wrapped and taken to the shipper for it's trip to the UK
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

My bad: since the 1962-64 Hawks are very similar in appearance; I misread the year of yours.
            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

What-cha gonna do with the motor? Was it a manual or automatic?
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                What-cha gonna do with the motor? Was it a manual or automatic?
                Refer to the initial post (#1). It is going to the UK.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

No not going but gone left yesterday along with one 60 convert, one 62 convert,one 64 GT, one 63 supercharged GT, it was an auto trans.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Working...
                  X