Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CL : Studebaker Land Cruiser 1952 Patina

One for sale in DC area:

Supposed rust free.. Garaged for last 37 years..

I don't know anything about the car, but I think it is the same one that has been for sale in the DC area for a long time. Always makes me wonder when a car stays on the market too long.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Doesn't look all that bad.

Comment

"99% rust free body." What about the floors, frame, etc. ? Does it run? Does it stop? Typical Korean chrome for a '52. Even if you left the original "patina" on it, you'd likely have a few bucks in it just to make it roadworthy--more than it would ever be "worth." It would need new tires at the very least. And at least a new clutch pedal spring, judging by the interior photo, which suggests there might be typical 70k mile wear elsewhere. Pretty nice steering wheel for a '52, though. That'll save you about 500 smackers. I like the '52s, but it's not a bullet nose which most folks prefer. I obviously have a soft spot for Land Cruisers, but they are "just" 4 door sedans. Not a big turn on for a lot of folks, even with the "suicide" rear doors. And there's the "R" word again (rare). Compared to the big 3, yes. 20,117 LC's built in '52. I might be in at about half the asking price or a little less if it's solid underneath.

Comment

Another seller unclear of the concept, says rust free, then has pics of rusty front/rear bumpers. "Korean War Chrome" pitted as usual.

During the Korean War, chrome was in short supply, so automakers plated nickel onto bare steel, then sprayed it with clear lacquer to protect it.

The lacquer soon turned brown, began to chip off, pitting began. People unaware, used chrome polish...which only made the situation worse.

At one time, people referred to '52's as "tater diggers" due to the design of the grille.
          Last edited by WinM1895; 03-04-2014, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Some great comments already offered. My take on the '52's is that I think of them as "tweeners." To me, they are comparatively very good cars (of the era), with a rather muted design between two iconic themes of the bullet-nose and sleek aerodynamic models. It took years for me to slow down enough to actually take a good look at sedans like this. I was too busy rushing past them to drool over glitzy two-door eye candy. Once I finally began to allow myself to look these types of vehicles over...actually open the doors, sit in them, look under them, did I realize how really well made, and purposeful, they were. It is like finally realizing how much more satisfying a steak is over a hotdog. Or...like realizing how the lovely clean-cut girl you see at church would make a much more reliable lifelong partner than the pretty airhead party girl you been chasing after.

As for this particular car. Looks like it has been both, stored and neglected. Generally, cars of this era, with that many miles, were considered overhaul ready. (Although, those of us familiar with these engines know it's not always the case.) I own a '51 Land Cruiser with an automatic. I think I'd like to have one with the manual/overdrive like this one. If you wanted to buy and restore this car...there are three items it will need that, (each item), could cause you to be "upside down" on value. Paint, re-chrome, and engine rebuild. Considering the miles...brake system, clutch, suspension, upholstery, and a complete re-wiring will be a wallet drain.

If you buy it right, have skills (or can develop your talent), enjoy the adventure of doing your own work...you can offset tons of dollars doing it yourself. If you place value in "self-satisfaction" accomplishing the tasks required to restore this car, it could be a worthwhile project. No worse than buying a motor-home and trekking over the country. At least, with this, you'd have something to show for your efforts.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              Quote #1: "It took years for me to slow down enough to actually take a good look at sedans like this. I was too busy rushing past them to drool over glitzy two-door eye candy. Once I finally began to allow myself to look these types of vehicles over...actually open the doors, sit in them, look under them, did I realize how really well made, and purposeful, they were. It is like finally realizing how much more satisfying a steak is over a hotdog. Or...like realizing how the lovely clean-cut girl you see at church would make a much more reliable lifelong partner than the pretty airhead party girl you been chasing after.

Quote #2: "If you buy it right, have skills (or can develop your talent), enjoy the adventure of doing your own work...you can offset tons of dollars doing it yourself. If you place value in "self-satisfaction" accomplishing the tasks required to restore this car, it could be a worthwhile project. No worse than buying a motor-home and trekking over the country. At least, with this, you'd have something to show for your efforts.
              Quote #1: Ah, the wisdom of maturity and age. It has its advantages.

Quote #2: I totally agree. Please take a moment to read the quotation I added to my signature this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                Quote #1: "Another seller unclear of the concept, says rust free, then has pics of rusty front/rear bumpers. 'Korean War Chrome' pitted as usual."

Quote #2: At one time, people referred to '52's as "tater diggers" due to the design of the grille.
                Quote #1: Well, the seller did say the body was 99% rust free. I guess the bumpers aren't really considered part of the "body." Otherwise, that's a BIG 1%.

Quote #2: Had heard of the bullet noses referred to as "two row corn pickers" but was unfamiliar with the "tater digger" reference for the '52's. You learn something new every day. Can we come up with other farm implement references for other model year designs? Maybe we could start a new thread for this?

Comment

I've looked at the car. It is reasonably solid for an east coast stude but 99% rust free is a pretty big stretch. It was a pretty good barn find when he got it from the estate but its been outside under a car cover for a long time in a pretty damp and shady yard. Its been on Clist for a long long time. I passed and eventually found a 52 Commander 4dr that is 3 times the car for 1/2 the money.

Comment

Just sent you a PM.

Originally posted by Boothguy View Post
                    I've looked at the car. It is reasonably solid for an east coast stude but 99% rust free is a pretty big stretch. It was a pretty good barn find when he got it from the estate but its been outside under a car cover for a long time in a pretty damp and shady yard. Its been on Clist for a long long time. I passed and eventually found a 52 Commander 4dr that is 3 times the car for 1/2 the money.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                      Just sent you a PM.
                      PM answered

Comment

Working...
                      X