Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bet you were not aware that Studebaker once offered musical horns!? Looking for a set.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bet you were not aware that Studebaker once offered musical horns!? Looking for a set.

Studebaker offered lots of unusual accessories over the years. One in particular that I have been seeking for some time are the musical horns. To my knowledge they were offered only in the 1940 model year. As the page from the dealers accessory sales bulletin below shows they had three horns and a horizontal motor (many were vertical), and played the melody "Merrily We Roll Along." Believe they were made by Sparton. I am sure they were not exclusive to Studebaker and were likely offered as an aftermarket item through general parts stores. I would like to put these on my '40 President Club Sedan (image #3 below). Note I do have the original parts counter display board (image #2).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	horns musical 1940.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1742703 Click image for larger version

Name:	horn musical display.JPG
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1742704 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027 w skirts copy 2.jpg
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1742706
    Attached Files
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Well, Dick - for a President, it should play "Hail to the Chief".
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Very neat!
      I'm thinking that it probably drove the parts counter guys crazy. Not sure how loud they are but they would've been pointed right at you when you pressed the button for a demo.

Comment

I installed one of the modern "solid state" musical horns on a delivery vehicle I had. After a few rain storms, it went badly out of tune. La Cucarracha sounded like a forlorn moose call.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
          I installed one of the modern "solid state" musical horns on a delivery vehicle I had. After a few rain storms, it went badly out of tune. La Cucarracha sounded like a forlorn moose call.
          Hey!...it might not get much attention where you are...but around here...that would be a head turner for sure!

And Richard...that's the first I knew of this. Thanks for continuing to educate us.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Are those the fender skirts you got off ebay or is that a photo shop job? I bet that vendor in Michigan still has those horns.

Comment

The horn ad made me remember a 1941 Chevrolet convertible that my cousin owned when I was about three years old (about 1944). It had a horn that played he same song. The car was originally maroon, but the last time I saw it (about 1950) it was in his parents' garage, and was painted green.

Comment

Originally posted by studerex View Post
                Are those the fender skirts you got off ebay or is that a photo shop job? I bet that vendor in Michigan still has those horns.
                If you can't tell I must be getting better in Photoshop!! In any event it is a photoshopped image but I do have the fender skirts and they are painted and ready to install, if and when the weather ever cooperates.
                Richard Quinn

Comment

That is one handsome car.......

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I have always been partial to that particular body style. I have another one nearly identical with dual side mounts. Images below. To my knowledge there is only one other original '40 President Club Sedan though there are a fair number of Commanders (I also have one of those).

Click image for larger version

Name:	composite1.jpg
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	1688056
                    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 03-03-2014, 06:23 PM.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      That is one handsome car.......
                      I agree...and can you imagine how much fun you could have with this thing at a local cruise-in? You know, arrive early, walk away until folks gather around and start commenting. Then...ease over within ear shot and listen to the comments without giving away that you are the owner.

I can hear all the "self appointed know-it-alls" claiming it is some kind of custom/modified/or special one of a kind.

Even with my lowly '48 Business Coupe, I have overheard comments like..."They never made it like that, the top has been shortened, th' back seat has been removed." Even when I display the Showroom literature, showing the coupe, I sometime get skeptical looks and comments.

Park an "Upscale Automobile" like this Studebaker President among a group of common cars of the era...and I bet the "overheard" conversations would be a hoot.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My father had a 1940 Pontiac two door sedan that he bought to replace his 1950 Ford Tudor sedan which was wrecked in 1954. Why I mention it is it came equipped with a set of three musical horns and it had a "keyboard" of three buttons mounted on the steering column. With a little practice you could play tunes with it!

Comment

Wow. Studebaker seems to have had their hands in a little bit of everything. I hope you find the horns as it would be a great addition to a mighty fine looking automobile you have.

Comment

I have a Ogga horn on my 40 President Club Sedan.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                              I have a Ogga horn on my 40 President Club Sedan.

Denny L
                              Street rods are not allowed to post on this topic.
                              Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                              X