The Daytona Parts universal carburetor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: The Daytona Parts universal carburetor

I've seen the Daytona Parts universal one-barrel carb mentioned on the forum before, but never any reports from actual owners. I bought one months back for my 1962 Studebaker Lark (with the 6cyl), here's what I've found.

Installation was a piece of cake. It bolted right on in place of the stock carb. I stuck in a cheap choke cable (it's just held under the dash with double sided tape, I'm holding out to find a better looking cable) and was up and running pretty quick.

Here's the embarrassing part: although I installed it according to the instructions, I forgot to set the main jet. For months I had problems with the engine sputtering and choking pulling away from a stop when cold, and I also got on the order of 10mpg.

I finally figured it out, spent 5 minutes and adjusted the main jet. You just set the throttle at about 1500rpm and turn the screw until you get the maximum rpm gain.

Now it pulls away from a start wonderfully after only 30 seconds or so to warm up. I keep a little touch of choke on for the first minute or so of driving, then just turn it off.

I haven't been able to get a good measurement of fuel consumption yet... I filled up the tank after adjusting the carburetor, and after 50 miles of driving the needle has barely dropped below the F marker. On the old main jet setting, I'd already be at 3/4 tank, so the consumption is much better. I'm estimating roughly 20mpg from mostly city driving and will report back when I next fill the tank.

Verdict: if you want a brand new carb designed for gas with ethanol, it works great. Set it up PROPERLY (pm me for help if you need) and you should be as happy as I am!

Addendum: I almost forgot to mention, the stock air filter tends to interfere with the choke cable. Daytona has a washable air filter for $30, I bought one and it both looks & works great!

I'll post pictures soon, I think it looks really nice in there.

This is a good idea, as the original 'factory' carb used on these later 6 cyl Studebakers was a problematic unit from day one.

Comment

Here's a shot of the carb and air filter installed: http://i.imgur.com/lNGYWcc.jpg

It also reminds me that I really really need to wash my engine bay.

Comment

It does look nice, the Carburetor! But it sure does look like the famous Holly design of a float bowl on it's side like it is looking for a leak.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Looks like it almost belongs there.

Comment

Nice clean install!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              It does look nice, the Carburetor! But it sure does look like the famous Holly design of a float bowl on it's side like it is looking for a leak.
              Holley 1920 model? It was used on many Mopar 225 Slant Six engines.
              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Holley

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                Holley 1920 model? It was used on many Mopar 225 Slant Six engines.

I think it is a Holley 1907.

Comment

I may be intersested by this setting. Do you remember its price? I looked at Daytona Parts site but it's not mentioned.
                  Nice dayt to all.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
                    I may be intersested by this setting. Do you remember its price? I looked at Daytona Parts site but it's not mentioned.
                    Nice dayt to all.
                    The carb is $300. Kind of pricey but it does seem to be good quality.

Comment

When I was a teenager I often was under the hood of our 64 Daytona six with the air cleaner top off holding the choke open with a screwdriver after my mom flooded it, muttering under my breath about throwing the thing into the lake. This looks like a bargain at $300.

Comment

Originally posted by jff View Post
                        The carb is $300. Kind of pricey but it does seem to be good quality.
                        Thank you very much for the info. I'll keep that in mind. I still have to run consumption tests but, so far, I'm quite satisfied with my 32 RBS. I spent a lot of time on it. I don't think it's a bad carb but I found one flaw. The choke housing has a tendancy to become loose onto the main housing, causing air leaks, thus global malfunction. This is corrected simply by addding a fixation screw. Since I use heavy grease on the choke butterfly shaft, the choke doesn't stick anymore.
                        Nice day to all.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X