1965 stp novi #9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 stp novi #9

does anyone know the whereabouts of the #9 stp special novi driven by Bobby Unser in the 64 and 65 Indy 500 ? any leads are greatly appreciated....thanks

It is at the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in Novi, Michigan

in particular:

Ed & Bud Winfield designed and built a 181 cubic inch supercharged V-8 engine in 1938. It was arguably the most advanced piston engine in the world. It was this engine that became the famous Novi V-8 and powered a series of Novi Specials at Indianapolis from the 1940's through the 1960's. Evn after the last Novi Special rin 1965, the name has been associated with speed and power. The Motorsports Museum and Hall of Fame of America is proud to display the last ever Novi Special.
    1964/65 NOVI SPECIAL

Here's some other info from some quick digging around.....

The connection between Andy Granatelli, the Novi engines, and Alex Tremulis is as long as it was illustrious.  Tremulis would design numerous Novi-powered proposals for both land speed records and...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Bobby Unser said driving the Novi made his career take off.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Too bad this remarkable four wheel drive Novi wasn't painted in the original 1964 'Studebaker STP Special' scheme when it was restored....Which was more impressive, (to Me anyway), than the 1965 livery!

Comment

[QUOTE=DEEPNHOCK;826372]It is at the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in Novi, Michigan

in particular:

Ed & Bud Winfield designed and built a 181 cubic inch supercharged V-8 engine in 1938. It was arguably the most advanced piston engine in the world.

Arrrgh! I hate that revisionist history. Ed Winfield convinced Lew Welch and Ford Motor to put up the money for a supercharged V8 , but neither of the Winfield's designed or built it. They had neither the design skills nor the facilities. It was designed by Leo Goossen and built by Fred Offenhauser at the Harry Miller shop. I've seen many of the drawings and they are signed LWG.

Although originally called a "Winfield" engine, and later a " Novi", it was a Miller designed and built engine.

The story is that Harry Miller found out that Ford was behind Welch and charged them $250K for the job. Welch/Ford bought two, and then several more later.

And as far as it being the most advanced piston engine in the world...many would say that the twin-supercharged, intercooled 183 cubic inch V16 designed by Goossen and built by Offenhauser for Frank Lockhart's 1928 LSR car was more advanced. It was certainly more complicated. It pushed Lockhart to an unofficial speed of 235 mph, faster than any Novi ever ran.

What a piece of American craftsmanship, eh?

The aluminum body was built by Myron Stevens. No lead, no bondo. The only reason the bodyshell was painted at all was so the Stutz advertisement would show up.
          Last edited by jnormanh; 03-03-2014, 06:28 AM.

Comment

I read the there ever was only about four Novi engines built.

Comment

Hard to say exactly how many Novi engines were built. At present six are known.

1. Indy Speedway Museum, complete FWD car
              2. Talladega Museum, complete RWD car
              3. Unser Museum, complete 4WD car
              4. Novi museum, complete 4WD car
              5. Tom Malone collection, complete FWD car
              6. Ed Pink engine shop (now owned my Tom Malone) complete engine plus extensive spares, possibly another engine to be built.

Comment

And speaking of American craftsmanship, here are the two V-16 Millers in the 1929 Gar Wood boat.

I'd love to hear it run.

Comment

Those miller V-16's are gorgeous!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    Those miller V-16's are gorgeous!
                    Agree'd!!!
                    They are stunning...
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      Agree'd!!!
                      They are stunning...
                      I CAN"T BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!! Deep and I AGREED on something!!!!!........I have to go lay down.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                        Hard to say exactly how many Novi engines were built. At present six are known.

1. Indy Speedway Museum, complete FWD car
                        2. Talladega Museum, complete RWD car
                        3. Unser Museum, complete 4WD car
                        4. Novi museum, complete 4WD car
                        5. Tom Malone collection, complete FWD car
                        6. Ed Pink engine shop (now owned my Tom Malone) complete engine plus extensive spares, possibly another engine to be built.
                        Cool! still a very limited production.

The state of the art machine work in those was most impressive!

I just googled Novi at Bonneville and found they ran them in 47 (IIRC) with small a bubble like windscreen and other small aero doo dads. I believe they ran a 10 mile circle and achieved 174 mph. Having the wheels enclosed would have netted much higher speeds.
                        Last edited by t walgamuth; 03-02-2014, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                          Cool! still a very limited production.

The state of the art machine work in those was most impressive!

I just googled Novi at Bonneville and found they ran them in 47 (IIRC) with small a bubble like windscreen and other small aero doo dads. I believe they ran a 10 mile circle and achieved 174 mph. Having the wheels enclosed would have netted much higher speeds.

Bobby Unser was clocked at 194 down the Indy back straight in an open wheel Novi.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                            Bobby Unser was clocked at 194 down the Indy back straight in an open wheel Novi.
                            Yeah, by that time they were developing nearly twice the horsepower as in 47.

Comment

I have been looking for a video with good sound of the Novi engine on the track. Anyone know of any? Apparently people would go to the race just to see and hear the Novi engines.

Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X