Is This a Stude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This a Stude?

Saw this pic on Stacy David's Gearz site on Facebook...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

All of those cars look like they could be Studes, but I not an expert on the early cars.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I'm no expert either but, I thought Studebakers of that vintage had more rounded radiator shells.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

That looks similar to a 1922 Studebaker Roadster I know of in a local museum.
        I do not have permission to post the pic I have, otherwise I would- sorry.

(maybe later I will be able to...?)

StudeDave '57
        Last edited by StudeDave57; 02-25-2014, 04:56 PM.
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Well...regardless of what kind of cars...I hope it is a "staged" picture. Otherwise, I don't think I'd want one of my vehicles at a shop this crowded, this cluttered, with what appears to be so many unrelated tasks being done in close proximity.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            Well...regardless of what kind of cars...I hope it is a "staged" picture. Otherwise, I don't think I'd want one of my vehicles at a shop this crowded, this cluttered, with what appears to be so many unrelated tasks being done in close proximity.
            I like this picture of an early body shop....and things really haven't changed much in today's busy flat rate body shop...the guys are still playing 'beat the clock' and tripping over each other....it's simply the nature of the beast.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              I like this picture of an early body shop....and things really haven't changed much in today's busy flat rate body shop...the guys are still playing 'beat the clock' and tripping over each other....it's simply the nature of the beast.
              Well...I spent a career selling everything from a simple hand held spray gun to Fanuc robots mounting aero bell electrostatic spray heads, pump rooms, computerized color changers, powder coating systems, and clean rooms. Not even the most rank amateur would attempt what you see here in a viable commercial enterprise. How long do you think they'd be in business if their local fire inspector walked in?...Insurance man...or (heaven forbid) OSHA, DEHEC

Even in my drafty dirt floor pole barn, you wouldn't see this. (And I'm the king of clutter.) When I had the time...I would service some small body shops. Not too often though...'cause, like a lot of us here...they already claimed to know everything, wanted everything at half price...and couldn't pass a credit check!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Ed, guess it's hard to say as a whole.but there is truth too this,I have two B.I.Ls that work for a big,busy high volume shop that's been around since the 40s. it's kept up with the times and all,"actually has two locations (same name)" and they're all trying too beat the clock,and dancing around one another and some times the tension could be cut with a knife.
                Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

John, again as a whole perhaps not. BUT it is out there,granted this was back in the 90s.I worked in a Chevy dealership Body Shop,and let Me tell you it was a DUMP/TOILET !!! the spraybooth was a bay with over head door,hole in the wall with a single fan.not only did We have to wet the floor down,but had to pack wet blankets at the base of the wall deviding the booth from the bodyshop area "I'm telling You this place was dirty,remember Pig Pen from Charlie Brown Peanuts Gang" OSHA pays us a visit,someone filed a complaint "lack of ventilation in the body shop".this is Winter time,We had numbered 4x4s holding up the roof,due to the snow load - and dripping water into two separate buckets.the OSHA Gal is surprised at the sight of about 6 4x4s.before She can get a word out,the slithering Manager chuckles and says "that's not what You think it is" like what was She supposed to think ???? the two of them are mumbling,She looks over the health hazard paint booth OMG! if She doesn't let it all slide ! though Her trip was not a complete waste,My Charcoal filtered respirator caught Her eye. I had sewn long strips of Velcro to the straps so there was no limit to adjustments.She looks it over and comments on how inventive and thoughtful it was "heck I thought so too" had Me all pumped up.and then tells Me it does not meet regulations because it was modified and fined the shop,so I end up being the bad guy that day "ooops" You'd have to have seen this dive to truely relate too this story,but they are out there .speaking of Winter time,this just dawned on Me.the Cheapskate Owner would shut the breaker off that fed the furnace at knight.next morning there wood be a busted pipe or two "no money saved" I don't think the plumbers worked for free? and then We would have to use our trusty little pry bars too pop the over head booth door off the frozen floor,and just for an extra bonus I had to crack a thin layer of ice so I could get My rubber sanding block out of the wet bucket and of course all the while this is going on,the work needed to be done yesterday,We used to wonder if the Urethane paint jobs would finally kick in the Customer's drive ways when Spring arrived
                  Well...I spent a career selling everything from a simple hand held spray gun to Fanuc robots mounting aero bell electrostatic spray heads, pump rooms, computerized color changers, powder coating systems, and clean rooms. Not even the most rank amateur would attempt what you see here in a viable commercial enterprise. How long do you think they'd be in business if their local fire inspector walked in?...Insurance man...or (heaven forbid) OSHA, DEHEC

Even in my drafty dirt floor pole barn, you wouldn't see this. (And I'm the king of clutter.) When I had the time...I would service some small body shops. Not too often though...'cause, like a lot of us here...they already claimed to know everything, wanted everything at half price...and couldn't pass a credit check!
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

John, remember this picture is from the 1920's. None of today's standards would be applicable. If a shop today was set up like this you are correct it wouldn't be in business for long, but back then my bet is that inspections rarely, if ever, happened.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                      John, remember this picture is from the 1920's. None of today's standards would be applicable. If a shop today was set up like this you are correct it wouldn't be in business for long, but back then my bet is that inspections rarely, if ever, happened.
                      Come to think of it...this could have been some of Al Capone's gang patching up their rides after a dust-up with a rival gang or the police! You know...a Tommy Gun can cause quite a mess in a black lacquer paint job.

Even us "old men" can still have an active imagination!
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                        Saw this pic on Stacy David's Gearz site on Facebook...

StudeDave57 is pretty much on the money. Early Light 6, 1922 or 23.

Terry

Comment

Here is a '22:

Craig

Comment

Here's another '22 Stude~

Click image for larger version

Name:	Julie 54825_431973063518217_1303945764_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1688005

That's what I had to go on.

For those interested- I've talked about this photo shoot in the past. Over 3,000 photos were taken for a calendar that should be ready anytime now. I'll let you know all about it when I know more. Who knows, maybe I'll even post another photo or two someday...?

Thanks to the following~
                            '22 Stude- Bell's Studebaker Diner and Museum
                            photographer- Mi Chelle from Gloomy Sunday Productions
                            model- Julie
                            clothes- YWCA

StudeDave '57
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I think the sedan in that picture is also a Studebaker. Late 1924 or early 1925.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X