64 Commander Sedan Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Commander Sedan Door

Can the 64 hardtop door be used on the 64 Commander 2 dr. sedan. I understand the top steel portion of the Commander 2 dr. door unbolts and can be installed into the frame base of the hardtop door. S.I. does not have the Commander door but has the hardtop door. My door has a bad kink from opening wrong and has to be replaced. The outer skin is not available.

Also need the part number for the right (passenger side) sheet metal that holds the headlight bucket and connects between the radiator framing support and the inner fender apron. I think it is #1356000 but the S.I. books calls it an air deflector. If you have the part number for the inner right apron that would help. I believe it is #1356084 per page 146 of the S.I. book but not sure. Thanks.
    Start and Stage Your Studebakers

The sheet metal for the headlight buckets are called air deflectors, not sure about the number. All I have handy is a 65 book. They might have changed the part number for 65 or are you looking for the single headlight version?

The right inner apron is coming up with the same number you listed.

There's been people asking about converting sedan doors to hardtop so maybe it can be done the other way. I'm surprised they have hardtop doors listed. I looked and all I saw online was 63-64 convert doors and they were $550 each. Wow!

Ok, I just checked some more.
    #1356000 looks like it's the lower air dam below the bumper.

#1358172 is the '65 number for dual lights.
    #1358168 is for wagons dual lights based on the 65 book. You could always take the weight tab off or maybe it's doesn't matter.
    Maybe someone with a 64 book can check.
    John
    Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 02-25-2014, 07:22 AM.

Comment

I think there is an additional reinforcing piece of metal in the hard top door,that helps support the wing window.if that's the case You should be able too make it work "remove",but I could be wrong.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The 64 hardtop doors will work on the 2 door sedan by bolting the over head rail to the door there is also a spot weld on the 2 door that will need to be cut loose, also the hardtop door comes with an extra piece of metal along the top edge that holds the hardtop chrome trim piece it will need to be removed to be used on the sedan, right now I am doing it different and using the 2 door door on a 64 hardtop and don't want the trim pieces, this is going to be just a nice clean 66 hardtop the car Studebaker should have built.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

1358172 is showing up now $40 for dual lights(64-65).

Single lights not available for right side but they show the left.
          Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 02-25-2014, 07:24 AM.

Comment

It is a single. They have the left #1358171 but not the right # ???? . Oddly the single right listed # 1358166 is stationwagon only which doesn't make any sense. What stamping difference could a front fender air deflector need for stationwagon only????

I'm ordering the hardtop door despite the price. Here today and out of stock tomorrow. Thanks for clarifying that the upper section of the Commander can be installed into the hardtop lower main section. They had the right passenger door still at $375. Sold!!!! Since the billing went over $1000 Susan gave me a 15% discount. And will deliver to York. Thank you S.I.

The removed fenders have a very heavy undercoating.
            Attached Files
            Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
              It is a single. They have the left #1358171 but not the right # ???? . Oddly the single right listed # 1358166 is stationwagon only which doesn't make any sense. What stamping difference could a front fender air deflector need for stationwagon only????
              My guess is the part number is different so the heavy weight could be mounted there, which sliding roof wagons would have. This would be a wagon only part, as the converts, which came with the weights, were not available with single headlights.
              Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
              \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

.....you can obviously make a dual bucket out of a single bucket air deflector with a little cutting.....also, the doors fit back to mid-50's sedans/hardtops...IIRC

Comment

63 sedan doors will work on a 64 and later. All you do is swap the upper door frames.
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Kurt, now that You mention it that's true - and could widen the search with Hard Tops.
                    Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                    63 sedan doors will work on a 64 and later. All you do is swap the upper door frames.
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                    X