Rebuild of 1953 Champion 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Rebuild of 1953 Champion 6

I'm having the 170 flathead rebuilt by a company that's been doing engine rebuilds
    for over 35 years. Are there any instructions anyone feels I should give them that
    they may need pertaining to Studebaker engine rebuilds? I'm afraid they might
    feel it's like any rebuild, but if there is something they should know, please tell me.
    Thanks. Joe

Leave them a photocopy of the 170" engine section of the Shop Manual with torque specs.

Remind them of the necessity to align the pinch bolt with the wrist pin flat, tighten, tap and torque.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Good luck. I've left copies of shop manual sections with mechanics in the past and they have NEVER looked at them.

This engine has a tendency to wear the lifter bores, so make sure the mechanics look at the size and roundness of the bores carefully.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I second what Jack Vines and RadioRoy said in posts #2 & 3. Also if they don't alight the timing cover properly and they DO trim down the oil pan gasket you will have leaks.

Joe
        sigpic

1962 Daytona
        1964 Cruiser
        And a few others

Comment

Working...
        X