'64 Daytona Trunk Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: '64 Daytona Trunk Lock

I have a '64 Daytona convertible. I had an issue with the trunk lock not working. As it turned out, I had two issues. First, the square opening in the trunk latch had become rounded-out over the years. Second, the square rod that runs from the key housing through the square opening in the latch had also become rounded. As a result, the rod was slipping inside the opening and thus failing to open the latch. I was lucky enough to find a NOS trunk latch on ebay so that part of my problem is solved. However, I still have the issue with the rounded rod coming from the key lock housing. Studebaker International offers part 1358549 which is a trunk lock. The catalog description reads: "1964-66 Lark (Except Station Wagon) includes 1 key and housing. $70" Unfortunately, neither the catolog or the website includes a picture. When I called Studebaker International about whether or not the housing came with the square rod, the lady said she didn't think it did but she couldn't see it either.

However, if you look in the catalog at door locks, those do seem to include the square rods.

I have two questions. Is it possible the trunk lock in the catalog does include the square rod and the girl answering the phone just doesn't know it? Also, if the housing in the catalog does not include the square rod.....where do I find one?

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by David Daoust; 02-17-2014, 09:34 AM. Reason: typo
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

I bought a trunk lock for my '61,[from S.I.] it did not include the rod. There are many people on here that have parts for sale,so hopefully someone will speak up and sell you one! Or,go to the vendors page,from the home page on this site!!
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

ON a '64-'66 Only, the Rod is part of the Housing/Lock Cyl. and not removable, also not sold separately, so it should be complete.

The note: "one Key and Housing" says it all. These Hurd Type Locks do not have a removable Lock Cylinder, so the Lock Cyl. IS the Housing the Rod is part of the Housing and if it has Keys there has to be a Lock.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        ON a '64-'66 Only, the Rod is part of the Housing/Lock Cyl. and not removable, also not sold separately, so it should be complete.

The note: "one Key and Housing" says it all. These Hurd Type Locks do not have a removable Lock Cylinder, so the Lock Cyl. IS the Housing the Rod is part of the Housing and if it has Keys there has to be a Lock.

StudeRich: I knew if anyone knew it would probably be you. Thanks so much for responding. Please send my regards to Russ & Hazel.
        David Daoust
        Stratham, NH
        '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

The lock can be removed from the housing by drilling a 3/64 hole , This is where it gets fuzzy I think .540 back from the mounting flange , You have to be careful how deep you drill as you encounter the locking ring that holds the lock in the housing , , If Ed R. from Delaware is reading this maybe he can chime in here as he has done this also , You push the locking ring thru the hole to release the lock from the cylinder , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
            The lock can be removed from the housing by drilling a 3/64 hole , This is where it gets fuzzy I think .540 back from the mounting flange , You have to be careful how deep you drill as you encounter the locking ring that holds the lock in the housing , , If Ed R. from Delaware is reading this maybe he can chime in here as he has done this also , You push the locking ring thru the hole to release the lock from the cylinder , Ed
            That is very good info to know that has been mentioned here before and works even though this was designed as a throwaway, non repairable unit.

But in David's case it will not help as he needs the complete unit, and no parts are available separately.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X