No announcement yet.

Has anyone seen this custom Conestoga?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone seen this custom Conestoga?

I stumbled across this on the web. From what I have been able to figure out it may be in the Kansas-Oklahoma area. (Kansas plates I think). I would like to know more about it and possibly talk to the owner or builder. It is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen!

thanks

Pat

Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

quote:Originally posted by Pat Dilling
    It is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen!
    I'd have to agree! []

The roof looks to be off a more modern wagon. Since it doesn't appear to have a tailgate, I wonder if it started life as a Conestoga? The tail light treatment is spot on. The interior is to die for! The dash is the opposite of the "flush to the windshield" original (new VW bug vs original VW bug). I'll bet the front buckets are set pretty far back. The bumpers add just enough chrome to keep it interesting.

VERY nicely done.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Pat Dilling
      It is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen!
      I'd have to agree! []

The roof looks to be off a more modern wagon. Since it doesn't appear to have a tailgate, I wonder if it started life as a Conestoga? The tail light treatment is spot on. The interior is to die for! The dash is the opposite of the "flush to the windshield" original (new VW bug vs original VW bug). I'll bet the front buckets are set pretty far back. The bumpers add just enough chrome to keep it interesting.

VERY nicely done.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

While the style isn't to my liking...no doubt there's a ton of work in that thing...and very nicely done.
        The upper portion of the tail gate appears to operate. The top looks like it came from a Lark (height wise) then removed the drip rail. It's still got all the stock wagon countours in it. Also the quarter windows have been lowered to match the lower door window opening.
        They should have put one of the many slanted head lights in to match the angle of the tail lights.

Mike

Comment

While the style isn't to my liking...no doubt there's a ton of work in that thing...and very nicely done.
          The upper portion of the tail gate appears to operate. The top looks like it came from a Lark (height wise) then removed the drip rail. It's still got all the stock wagon countours in it. Also the quarter windows have been lowered to match the lower door window opening.
          They should have put one of the many slanted head lights in to match the angle of the tail lights.

Mike

Comment

I love it (except for that stupid little flame job at the B pillar).
            Wonder what the rear hatch(?) glass is from?

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I love it (except for that stupid little flame job at the B pillar).
              Wonder what the rear hatch(?) glass is from?

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten
                The top looks like it came from a Lark
                It might just be the angle of the photo, but to me, the side glass looks curved at the rear of the top. The upper tailgate glass also looks slightly curved and more glass area than a Lark. I'd guess the whole roof section including the tailgate was lifted from something like an mid 70's GM wagon.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten
                  The top looks like it came from a Lark
                  It might just be the angle of the photo, but to me, the side glass looks curved at the rear of the top. The upper tailgate glass also looks slightly curved and more glass area than a Lark. I'd guess the whole roof section including the tailgate was lifted from something like an mid 70's GM wagon.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here are a couple pictures with the rear hatch/tailgate open

Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Here are a couple pictures with the rear hatch/tailgate open

Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA

Comment

It IS real pretty, Pat. I wonder if it was ever a Conestoga? My guess is maybe it was an F-body 2 door. Hood doesn't look C/K.

My only nitpick would be that the lack of the lower tailgate means cargo area access is real poor. Not a practical driver; strictly a show car. The dash looks a lot like '56 Ford.

But the quality of the work appears first-rate. My hat's off to the builder.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

It IS real pretty, Pat. I wonder if it was ever a Conestoga? My guess is maybe it was an F-body 2 door. Hood doesn't look C/K.

My only nitpick would be that the lack of the lower tailgate means cargo area access is real poor. Not a practical driver; strictly a show car. The dash looks a lot like '56 Ford.

But the quality of the work appears first-rate. My hat's off to the builder.

Comment

Gordr -
                            The hood is correct for a Conestoga, (I have two 54's).
                            Not to say under the skin isn't Stude...the sheet metal appears to have at least...in the begining...was Stude.

Mike

Comment

Gordr -
                              The hood is correct for a Conestoga, (I have two 54's).
                              Not to say under the skin isn't Stude...the sheet metal appears to have at least...in the begining...was Stude.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X