Howard Cunningham's Stude...oops!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Cunningham's Stude...oops!

Found this on YouTube...opening credits from one of the last seasons of the sitcom Happy Days...had completely forgotten the Cunninghams' "new" Lark is featured having an embarrassing moment part way through!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Still want to find the scene I remember so well with Fonzie jokingly slagging-off the car in the driveway; the ticked-off look on Mr C's face is priceless...I was surprised to find that the Lark is actually a '62 like my own, rather than the '59-60 I thought I remembered. That does put it nearer the end of South Bend production at least; in another scene Mr C says "I just buy a new Studebaker, then the company goes out of business"...more plausible to say that about a '62 than a '59.

S.

Nice red Cruiser, how appropriate!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I also did not recall this car, but when I saw further in the credits that the Executive Producer was "Fred Fox", it all made sense!
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Earlier in the series Mr. C always referred to his owning a DeSoto. I guess he had a thing for cars destined go away.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The Studebaker backing into the garage isn't far from the truth. I never knew about the PNDLR arrangement until I was loading my Daytona into an enclosed trailer - with no brakes! It's not the kind of "learning on the job" you really want to do.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

No wonder we don't remember it. That was after Ritchy left. Who watched it after that?
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I worked with Ron Howard a couple of times and he always had good things to say about my '55 Commander which I drove to the Studios. He wasn't really a car guy but he appreciated nice looking ones.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

And before that was his Henry J, and before that his LaSalle, perhaps.

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                Earlier in the series Mr. C always referred to his owning a DeSoto. I guess he had a thing for cars destined go away.

Comment

LaSalle was Archie and Edith...at least in the theme song.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Tom Bosley (Howard Cunningham) had a history with Studebaker that predates Happy Days by many years! Check out this Studebaker's 1956 Commercial featuring none other than.....

Tom Bosley in an ad for the 1956 Studebakers. Tom Bosley October 1, 1927 - October 19, 2010I read that he got his start on TV doing Studebaker commercials.
                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      I remember the DeSoto, think it was around a 1947 DeSoto Suburban with that large roof rack.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                        I remember the DeSoto, think it was around a 1947 DeSoto Suburban with that large roof rack.
                        That sounds about right, yes.

But then again-
                        I remember the Lark having a rack as well.
                        The video shows otherwise. How weird.

StudeDave '57
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC