I'm new to this and please excuse my bumbles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new to this and please excuse my bumbles

I have been involved with old cars all my life ,mostly with model a fords. I recently bought a 1930 studebaker 4 dr sedan. I was told it is a commander model. It has only 2 side windows per side ,not three. It has a top insert that comes back to about 18" from the rear of the car. Does anyone know if this is indeed a commander? or what the numberical designation is? thanks a bunch

Hi and welcome! The short answer is that it could be a Commander or a President since they both had that kind of body. I don't have numerical designations handy, but I'm sure others will give you more information.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Check the small plate attached to the engine side of the firewall. It will have some letters and numbers. Post those letters and numbers and I can tell you exactly what you have.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

welcome aboard!

i'm sure some folks will be here shortly to provide answers. in the meantime, check and record your body tag number info - i think it should be on your passenger side firewall, if it is like my '40. the serial number (aka: VIN #) would also be helpful.

and here's a link to the Antique Studebaker Forum: http://forums.aaca.org/f126/

good luck, and have fun with her!!!
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

thanks guys , I haven't picked the car up yet. It is in ark. I had three friends go look at the car and drive it for me. I will be picking it up arounf the first of the month.

Comment

ok. perhaps you could give the seller a call and he will provide you the info. that should give you a "head start" on things you may need, such as a service manual, body manual, etc. - if the seller doesn't have them.

Mr. Quinn, does the Museum have the production order for 1930 models?
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

In a Studebaker that old, the body tag could well be on the driver's side of the cowl under the hood. My '33 is.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

1929-30 Commander 6 is model GJ
                1929-30 Commander 8 is model FD

The body style with no rear quarter window is a brougham sedan, or sometimes called a blind quarter sedan.

The body tag should be on the passengers side of the firewall under the hood and will have the model identification (GJ, FD) followed by a W (sedan) and possibly another single number indicating trim level. Underneath that will be another number which is the assembly line sequence number.

The serial number is on a plate on the left frame rail behind the left front wheel.

Terry

Comment

thanks a bunch!!!

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
                  1929-30 Commander 6 is model GJ
                  1929-30 Commander 8 is model FD

The body style with no rear quarter window is a brougham sedan, or sometimes called a blind quarter sedan.

The body tag should be on the passengers side of the firewall under the hood and will have the model identification (GJ, FD) followed by a W (sedan) and possibly another single number indicating trim level. Underneath that will be another number which is the assembly line sequence number.

The serial number is on a plate on the left frame rail behind the left front wheel.

Terry
                  This was the very information that I was looking for, I sure do appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                  X