Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where have all the old jacks and lug wrenches gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where have all the old jacks and lug wrenches gone?

Maybe you are luckier than I am when it comes to jacks. But I don't recall the last time I bought a classic car that had the correct (or any) jack in the trunk. Is there a black hole somewhere in the universe where jacks fly off to when they reach a certain age?

Of course my "new" '54 Commander Starliner also came without a jack and lug wrench. A search has not turned up any pictures of what the correct parts would look like. Does anyone have a picture handy? Also, any ideas on where one might find these? Even though one would not actually use the jack, it would be nice to have the correct jack and lug wrench in the trunk.

I must have some luck & didn't know it. Bought a 62GT last fall.Had 2 bumper jacks in trunk.A little rusty but very useable.The rest of them probably went overseas with the steel bumpers to melt down/mix with inferior other metal.Producing cheap/inferior tools/parts that do not last .

Comment

I don't have the answer...but, I wouldn't be surprised if, when you find them...they will be surrounded by a huge pile of single socks without a match!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

While I know you just want to have them for looks, I'll bet most of them ended up thrown in a ditch right where they bent or had the car slip off of them while changing a tire. I know my GM ones did. The first thing I bought after I purchased a car was a real jack.

Bob

Comment

I have a few left but a couple of years ago sent about 20 sets to Australia, the 61 plane Jane came with the stock jack in place even had the hold down spring, jack , plate and handle,the picture of the different jack are in the body manual near the back.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
            I have a few left but a couple of years ago sent about 20 sets to Australia, the 61 plane Jane came with the stock jack in place even had the hold down spring, jack , plate and handle,the picture of the different jack are in the body manual near the back.
            Are they all the same, from 1953 to the 1960s? I don't have the body manual, at least not yet. And what is a jack like that going for these days?
            Last edited by northern; 02-10-2014, 08:08 AM.

Comment

You really need a Bumper jack to change Stude tires, thats the only way they lift the body off of the axle so you can get the tire out. Thats for those of us that don't have a lift. All my cars have one and I think I have used every one.
              Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              The Prez 1955 President State
              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
              Fresno,Ca

Comment

When I bought my '53 in '63, it had a jack... and still does. My Avanti didn't have one when I bought it though, and it still doesn't have the correct one.

Comment

In my case, when I last moved I left them all (many) behind. Nobody wanted them, even for free, two decades ago.
                  I have always had a correct jack in my Studebakers. I also carried a small "bottle" hydraulic jack. As Anne said, I used the bumper jack to lift the body enough to get a rear wheel off and on. This was after lifting the chassis with the bottle jack.
                  The 1953 Commander Owner's Manual shows a correct bumper jack and lug wrench/handle in use, in a picture. I assume that the 1954 jack and Owner's Manual is the same.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by northern View Post
                    Are they all the same, from 1953 to the 1960s? I don't have the body manual, at least not yet. And what is a jack like that going for these days?
                    They're not all the same -- in fact, they're all different. Section 18 of the chassis parts book has illustrations of what they look like. I probably will bring a few to York to sell (for maybe $25?).
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

You may want to see the "Other Post" about bumper jacks.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-for-a-64-Lark

However you do need the CORRECT Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog: '53 to '55, for your '54 Commander "K" Body, it should be in the same Section 18.

You want one unlike the later models, it has a SQUARE Post and Base hole.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jack?
                        Oh Crap...

Comment

"WHERE HAVE ALL THE OLD JACKS AND LUG WRENCHES GONE?"
                          I can't tell you where all them went, But, I have about 25 bumper jacks and lug wrenches left (just sold a hundred). And about that many screw, bottle, and sissors type. Just sold about 20 of those. Am I guilty of being the jack thief? LOL

Comment

You can't be accused of hording all the Jacks anymore now that they are gone, BUT it looks like you are well on your way to collecting a lot of Hawk Dash overlays!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I won't use one on my car they are hard on bumpers after having it rechromed I did buy one at York for $1.00 repainted it looks like new even the style the parts book calls for my 57. I have small floor jack in plastic case and blocks of wood in case I have to change rear tire fronts no problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X