Oregon Got its Turn in the Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon Got its Turn in the Snow

Well, I knew it was unlikely we would get through this winter unscathed. Late Thursday morning the wind blew up and the snow began to fall sideways. School was closed early and I jumped in my Champ and headed the 26 miles for home. On the way I stopped at the store for a few necessary items and then headed up the hill. The roads were covered with snow up to that point but passable. Once I got off the highway and started up the hill, however, things changed fast. I realized I should have pulled off the road and put on my chains too late. As I came up the last steep hill to my house I lost traction and put her in the ditch.
    I got home and called the auto club for a tow. Before they arrived, however, my neighbor appeared at my door and insisted on helping me get the truck unstuck. "You can't leave the beautiful truck stuck there. Any number of things could happen to it." I told him a tow truck was on the way but he told me to call and cancel it. (Luckily I did not). He drove me the quarter mile to my truck in his 4-wheel drive Jeep. We hooked a tow strap to it and tried to pull it out but there was too much ice for his Jeep to get enough traction. He got out and started to walk back down the hill towards me when his legs went out from under him and he fell backwards. This broke his arm. This was proving to be a bad day for good Samaritans.
    After getting him back home I got home myself just in time to get a call from the towing service that they were at my truck. So, I bundled up again and walked the quarter mile back to the truck. They pulled it out of the ditch, helped me put the chains on and I brought her home safe and sound where it proceeded to get covered in over a foot of snow over the next 2 1/2 days.
    As for the mid-west and East. . . I feel your pain.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1182.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1742541
    The neighbor's left arm was pretty mangled and the local fire and rescue came to pick him up and take him to the hospital. They had to do surgery. I have not yet heard from him but I am hopeful he is alright.
    Last edited by Commander Eddie; 02-09-2014, 04:46 PM.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Ed, sorry to hear You got stuck.main thing is You're alright,and the Champ survived "what a nice looking truck" it looks so durable with those chains.hope Your neighbor is ok,and this doesn't harm Your relationship any.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

OUCH! Sorry to hear you slide into the ditch, hope no damage was done! Even worse to hear of your neighbor! Hope he's doing better.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

The truck suffered no damage.
        The neighbor on the other hand. . . I'm pretty sure he will still speak to me.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Too bad bout yer bad day. Maybe never hear from your neighbor agin, lest you chip in for expenses or"nurse". Can't fool with MOTHER NATURE

Comment

Working...
          X