what's it called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: what's it called?

I have a 61 259 lark four door. The engine and tranny have been pulled from a spare and is sitting on some tires in my back yard as I clean it up . My daughter thought she was helping me out by putting a tarp over the exposed unit because rain was in the forcast. Unfortunately she used a heavy rock to secure the tarp to the motor. The rock rolled off the air cleaner and bent the throttle linkage at the carb and broke the (what's it called?) round canister with a spring and pin that stops the throttle from closing too fast? I've looked everywhere on line I could find with no results. Might help if I could communicate what this thing is actually called. Does anyone know what I should be referring to? Does anyone have a whacamacallit I can purchase? Any help would be awesome! Thanks...T.J.

I believe you are speaking of the automatic choke assembly. The spring is a thermostatic spring that closes the choke when cold and opens the choke when it becomes warm.
    On second thought, you may be speaking of the throttle return check/dashpot that does contact the throttle linkage.
    Last edited by Milaca; 02-08-2014, 09:44 PM.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I believe Your speaking about the throttle return dashpot. They usually don't 'age' well anyway, so don't sweat the break. New ones are probably still available from the suppliers. I bought a new one last year from Dave Thibeault here in Mass.

Comment

Go to the main page and find Studebaker vendors. Right there in Arizona even.

Comment

Whats up pops welcome to the forms

let me know if you need a hand pulling the old motor and trans today.
          Stude oem # 533820

I think i have a used one but have to dig

heres another one that should work , Vulcan dv-76
          Fits 1956,1957,1958,1959,1960,1961studebaker models with Rochester 2 barrel
          Last edited by Rocket442; 02-09-2014, 06:57 AM.
          USASTUDE

Comment

Check with Chuck Collins at "Studebaker parts.com" in Phoenix. He has his catalog on line and likely has what you need.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

533820 was used on 53-58 V8 cars with automatic trans (w/o supercharger)
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket442 View Post
                Whats up pops welcome to the forms

let me know if you need a hand pulling the old motor and trans today.
                Stude oem # 533820

I think i have a used one but have to dig

heres another one that should work , Vulcan dv-76
                Fits 1956,1957,1958,1959,1960,1961studebaker models with Rochester 2 barrel
                That listing sounds a bit off....as Stude used variations of the Stromberg 2bbl during those model years.

Comment

Quite frankly, I personally don't think the dashpot is necessary and can cause more grief if worn or not adjusted correctly than not having one at all. Try it without before you invest in a replacement.

Without the tarp, you'd have an engine full of water that could have been ruined. Trading that possibility for a broken dashpot is a good thing! Thank your daughter
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

The dashpot is supposed to keep the engine from stalling at a quick stop. I've removed a few of them 'back in the day'.. More trouble than they're worth. Smart daughter you got there! Give her a big Thank You kiss!
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Maybe item #69 in the top box at the bottom of the page?

Comment

Yes, that Chrysler Corp. Version Stromberg WW 2 Brl. uses the Part #69 Dashpot for "Power-Flight Automatic Transmission only".
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                        X