Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of seat upholstery would you suggest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of seat upholstery would you suggest?

I already know from talking to Wes Shepherd that his dad's 52 is going to need the seats rebuilt and new covers. The original type covers Lenard put on the car have split along the front seam and the foam has disintegrated just like the foam in my old Champion did. Anyway, I have been trying to decide what type of covers to use. I am not putting the seats back original. My wife is allergic to the wool blend used when the car was new and this is a hot rod.
    When I first got interested in cars it seemed that almost all the street rods and modified cars had black tuck and roll. I do like a black interior in Naugahyde or the like, but since I am going to keep the original door panels and headliner I don't think that would look very good. That leaves me with colored vinyl or cloth or a combination of the two.
    What type of material and pattern do you think would be best in a slightly modified 52 sedan? I'll post a few pictures of how the car looks now for those who don't remember.

First is a picture I pulled off the forum from a few years back.

In this current picture that Wes posted on ebay you can see where the seam has separated. I plan to replace the cloth on the door panels, but I hope the lizard skin pattern vinyl at the top can be used for a while. I may dye the vinyl.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

My observation, based on many years experience with various types of upholstery is that leather or vinyl tends to be really cold in cold weather and really hot after sitting out in the sun in hot weather. My favorite without a doubt is the velour or velvet, at least for the face of the seat that you sit and lean on. The edges can be vinyl and look good with the velour. Another choice is heavy corduroy, which tends to be very durable. The photos shows the bucket seats in my 84 RX-7, which are original and have held up very well as you can see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1687684
    Last edited by 48skyliner; 02-06-2014, 07:10 PM.
    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

It is the owner's Car so HE needs to be happy with the final product, but I would definitely go with a Gray or Green (if the Car will remain Green) Fabric like Velour with Vinyl Trim.

If this is the Car involved (Leonard's), the first thing I would do for a Predominantly GRAY Interior is replace those Tan Carpets and throw Mats with Gray.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had a car with velour several years ago and the seats were comfortable, but velour is too 80s for my taste. I may just not have seen the right combination, but I would pick another material. In any case, if I go with ready made covers, I'll probably have few choices of material. Color seems to be the biggest option on the sites I have looked at. I wish I could afford a custom set.
        As far as color goes, I have to admit that gray makes sense, but it has been a bit over done in past years. I am leaning toward a green combination of some sort. I have been going back through my pictures of various cars trying to find the right look, but I am still looking for ideas.
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I always like seats with inserts, Slight bolstering to give it a modern look.. but keep it clean man..

Comment

I would be looking at one of the new cloth grays. I would stay away from a velour to 70's. On my hawk being we cant get the factory red I'am going white leather.

Comment

I put an interior in a 50 Commander starlight last year and used covers from lebaron Bonney. I had cloth inserts and vinyl trim. I have the same type covers in both my 47 and my other 50 Commander. I like the cloth inserts when it is hot and I like the vinyl trim as it is easy to keep clean. I used matching material for the door panels. This is there lower level covers but I personally like them.

http://www.lebaronbonney.com/custom-seat-covers.php They refer to them as their "custom interiors". This is the same style that various vendors including JP use to sell before LB bought out their supplier.

I have had the ones in my 47 for over 20 years.

These are not show quality and not authentic stude styling.
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

If you want low buck go with the type you have on there now, if the car is just a driver hot rod and not a full custom or restored car then the period type old style covers might work again, is your car a 2 door or 4 door? I have some nos sets like yours here, just a thought.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                  I put an interior in a 50 Commander starlight last year and used covers from lebaron Bonney. I had cloth inserts and vinyl trim. I have the same type covers in both my 47 and my other 50 Commander. I like the cloth inserts when it is hot and I like the vinyl trim as it is easy to keep clean. I used matching material for the door panels. This is there lower level covers but I personally like them.

http://www.lebaronbonney.com/custom-seat-covers.php They refer to them as their "custom interiors". This is the same style that various vendors including JP use to sell before LB bought out their supplier.

I have had the ones in my 47 for over 20 years.

These are not show quality and not authentic stude styling.
                  Do you have any pictures? I am looking for ideas.
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Rich Corinthian Leather!!

Comment

I like this material. Your but don't sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                        If you want low buck go with the type you have on there now, if the car is just a driver hot rod and not a full custom or restored car then the period type old style covers might work again, is your car a 2 door or 4 door? I have some nos sets like yours here, just a thought.
                        I have considered the old style covers. I actually have a brown set that I bought from an SDC member member 35 or 40 years ago. I am concerned that they will separate like Lenard's did. That type of cover is period correct. My first 52 had two sets (one on top of the other) on it when I bought it.
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

[/QUOTE]

That style would look good. I might choose different colors. Did you buy a ready made or were those done locally?
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Note...I attempted to post early this morning (before 9 AM) but lost my internet connection. I am still posting my original intended comments, 'cept to add...do what pleases you...it is truly the best way to enjoy the hobby.

You are asking for opinions, so I'll humbly offer mine with no expectations of value, since I have never been accused of being guilty of having excessive "class."

If that door panel snakeskin vinyl is like that of my '51 Land Cruiser...I'd go with a color matching dignified leather, at least for the seating contact panels, and perhaps a matching high quality vinyl for the sides and non-contact areas (kinda like what is being done for furniture) if full leather is a price issue.

The gray is a rather neutral color, very dignified, promotes the car's original elegance, without resorting to cheap bold distractions.

With my cars...I'm the cheap bold distraction.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I had my driver Lark seats done at a local upholstery shop. Not original but I think they look pretty much correct for the vintage. He charged me $350.00 each. You might just try a local shop.

Name:	lark 7.jpg
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1687690

Name:	lark 6.jpg
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1687689
                              Steve
                              Buckeye, Arizona