X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4 in a Wagonaire story on Bangshift

Whose is it??

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Not that it matters, but is that the color Studebaker/Paxton used for the R4?
    Andy
    62 GT

Comment

Why is the oil filter on the pass. side?

Comment

Great story. The only hiccup I saw was the mention that "This is one of the neatest and most rare high performance V8s produced from a Detroit manufacturer". Folks in South Bend will be steaming over that one.
        My first car in the mid sixties was a 1955 Commander with pretty much the same engine but with only one 4-barrel. My dad built the engine basically to R4 specs with the addition of Jahns racing pistons. It was bored to 304.5 with a slightly radical cam and had been blueprinted, and ported and polished heads. That was pretty sophisticated stuff back then but my dad worked for Valley Ring and Rebore in Van Nuys and got most of the work done there for free. I don't remember what the horsepower rating was but I remember on weekends paying for my cruising gas by street racing neighborhood hot rods for money. That worked great until I got a reputation for whipping every bodies behinds and the races dried up.
        This R4 in a Wagonaire should be a screamer. I can't wait to see the article on that.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
          Because that's where it belongs.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
            Not that it matters, but is that the color Studebaker/Paxton used for the R4?
            An unresolved question. My R-4, now in the Museum, was painted blue when I opened the crate so I don't know whether this R-4 was originally blue or was painted blue because mine was.
            Interestingly, a member of the Potomac Chapter, as I remember him telling it, used to drag a R-4 powered Wagonaire. I have emailed him with the url for this story to see if it could be his old rig. It would be in interesting to know the engine number.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
              That's where it is located on my 64 Stude 289-V8. I think that's simply where they decided to put it. The starter motor is on the other side, so it all works.
              Dave Nevin
              Corvallis, OR
              1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
                That's where it is located on my 64 Stude 289-V8. I think that's simply where they decided to put it. The starter motor is on the other side, so it all works.
                That's where mine is on my 259 as well.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Nice Studebaker article in Bangshift

Comment

R4 Blog on Bang Shift

Check out the Bang Shift blog. I think you will enjoy it. Great pictures too.

Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Sorry, I posted this. Bob Andrews had already posted it. I searched for it but didn't find anything,. Go to Bob's thread.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                        Great story. The only hiccup I saw was the mention that "This is one of the neatest and most rare high performance V8s produced from a Detroit manufacturer". Folks in South Bend will be steaming over that one.
                        This has been pointed out to Brian, who says he meant "American" rather than Detroit. The change has been made.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser

Comment

Aren't the small block Chevy Full Flow Oil Filters on the Left Side? I know their Starters are on the Right Side.

It makes no difference where it mounts as long as the internal Oil Galleries in the Block route it directly from the Oil Pump. I think an R4 is pretty much a Studebaker!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ya, We wouldn't want the reserve Police too come get ya
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                              Brian updated it to read
                              "This is one of the neatest and most rare high performance V8s produced from an American manufacturer (Stude was based in South Bend, Indiana). "

Comment

Working...
                              X