Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found another one or should I say it found me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found another one or should I say it found me?

Last month Had a chance to pick up a 53 hardtop with no engine or trans for an estate in probate, the other day the lady handling the estate called and said she had another Studebaker from the same estate and wanted to know if I was interested of course I said yes and Pat Nibbs53 and I took the trailer across the bay to see what we were getting as it turns out is is a 62 GT with no interior, no hood, flat tires, rusted trunk lid , car had been sanded down so whole thing is surface rust, engine is a 64 289 2 bld. carb and auto, also power steering. After changing tires and wheels we got it on the trailer and headed home 3 hours start to finish, things happen fast when you know what to bring and how to use it. We dropped the car off at my house since the parking lot at he shop is getting full and this way I can start to strip it down.

Today I went out to check it over some and figured the engine would be stuck since it sat with out a hood and only a little 4" air cleaner, I pulled the plugs thinking there would be some big problems since the oil was like milk from water getting below some how I figured the head gasket let go. after the plugs were pulled I put a battery to it and it turned over and the electric fuel pump started pumping stale gas, shut it down remover the battery and covered it up for the night since it is going to rain for the next few days, here are some picture of the find, win some , loose some, this time I win.

By the way the body is pretty rust free except in the trunk weather strip lip, floors are solid and all fenders are only surface rust, full dash, broken windshield doors open and close nice, what a find !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

OK, if you say "you win" I'll believe you, because YOU know how much you paid for that heap!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nice find! I picked one up this last Fall,62 GT/289w/4 bbl.,auto.trans.,TTrear complete exc. radio gone. Bought it mainly for eng. swap to my 61Hawk.My luck the eng. is locked up,but I can use many parts off it.Found it on C/L in MA: Found a few repair&parts receipts for paint ,valve wrk, carb.,tires. Spare carb. in it from around your area dated 1972!! WOW the prices back then,OMG (14$ a gal. paint,cpl.$$ for reducer!!!! EVERYTHING was there, even wheel covers!All trim too.Too bad mine has Flintstone floors frt/bk & trunk,rear qtrs. Hood has some pin holes,deck lid.Had lakers on it at one time.All inter.trim there. Would Like to Post Pics. Here but don't have comp.tech.savvy. CAN FWD. PICS.I HAVE TO E-MAIL ADD. IF INTERESTED ? ARTHUR PS Did almost same p/up as you.Saw it,but thougt a while,mind said GO . Borowed a car hauler,threw some tools in GREY GHOST& drove 90 mi. As the sign in a store I frequent says BUY IT WHEN YOU SEE IT (won't be there if you wait )
      Last edited by arthurc1946; 02-06-2014, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Well Rich, even if he breaks even it beats a FLUSH (down the tube) Whadaya think?

Comment

Hey, save as many as we can is my motto. If I had the money and the room I'd be snatching up every Studebaker I could find and try to put them back on the road. All it takes is money.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by arthurc1946 View Post
            Nice find! I picked one up this last Fall,62 GT/289w/4 bbl.,auto.trans.,TTrear complete exc. radio gone. Bought it mainly for eng. swap to my 61Hawk.My luck the eng. is locked up,but I can use many parts off it.Found it on C/L in MA: Found a few repair&parts receipts for paint ,valve wrk, carb.,tires. Spare carb. in it from around your area dated 1972!! WOW the prices back then,OMG (14$ a gal. paint,cpl.$$ for reducer!!!! EVERYTHING was there, even wheel covers!All trim too.Too bad mine has Flintstone floors frt/bk & trunk,rear qtrs. Hood has some pin holes,deck lid.Had lakers on it at one time.All inter.trim there. Would Like to Post Pics. Here but don't have comp.tech.savvy. CAN FWD. PICS.I HAVE TO E-MAIL ADD. IF INTERESTED ? ARTHUR PS Did almost same p/up as you.Saw it,but thougt a while,mind said GO . Borowed a car hauler,threw some tools in GREY GHOST& drove 90 mi. As the sign in a store I frequent says BUY IT WHEN YOU SEE IT (won't be there if you wait )
            I can upload pics for if you can email me them, at GTHawkwindr5@aol.com it's pretty easy.

Comment

Gentleman I'd like to introduce you to BLUBRD and RED DEVIL. Thanks for you help, will send more pics soon. Click image for larger version

Name:	studebakers%20003[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1687675
              Last edited by arthurc1946; 02-06-2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	seats and dash 005.jpg
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1687678Click image for larger version

Name:	seats and dash 001.jpg
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1687677Click image for larger version

Name:	seats and dash 012.jpg
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1687676Click image for larger version

Name:	seats and dash 011.jpg
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1687679Interior from Red Devil. This project accomplished by bribing my awesome daughter!

Comment

Thank you for your offer on pics. help.Daughter stopped by & did pic. trans. I still didn't get it. OLD DOG NEW TRICKS!! Don't have all equip. (good camera & whatever to hook up computer)???Will work on it when I gitroundtuit YUH!

Comment

I've been thinking of the same thing about picking them up around the country. For myself,. I would only take my favorite models. Maybe do P&D for others if poss., so as not to run empty from point to point .I'm retired T/T driver.Would keep to small rig like a 2to3 car" hot shot". NO RUSH-RUSH though. Hang on a min. Going to check my lottery tickets!!!

Comment

How about another wagon Studebaker Wagon Convertable $2500 (Madras) pic cars

Comment

Working...
                      X