Clear All

• Power Hawk Hood Ornament?

I was surfing and came across this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	StudebakerPowerHawk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1742487

It's obviously a drawing and not a photo, but the artist surely based it on something...

So has anyone ever seen this hood ornament?

Never seen one myself. But if were put to a poll ,like the bumper guard thread, looks better without a hood ornament.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

That's an interesting rendering, Phil, and quite imaginative.

Look at the size of the windshield in the front view! And, of course, it is a "K" body; not even offered for export in 1956, AFAIK. (Yes, a 1956 Flight Hawk hardtop was offered for export, however.) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by pbrown View Post
        It's obviously a drawing and not a photo, but the artist surely based it on something...
        I have seen incidences where an artist has done his rendering based on an actual example where it includes non-stock components. Because they may not know that turn signals on a prewar car, or a certain piece of chrome such as an aftermarket hood ornament in this case is and add-on, they included in their artwork. We can't see the front of this car, but it could be based on this one:

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 02-04-2014, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Over 20 years ago I went into a small antique shop and the owner had a bunch of hood ornaments. He had one like this that he said came off a Hawk. I did not bite as thought he was mistaken. I thought it was an aftermarket piece.

I do have the glass paper weight he had in his display case from a local Studebaker dealer in the 20's
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Being an artist and illustrator and painting many cars, I will venture a guess that this artist worked from a photo of this car and it had a non-stock hood ornament on it and he thought it was standard equipment. You have to do your due diligence and research your subject matter!!

Comment

Originally posted by sochocki View Post
              I will venture a guess that this artist worked from a photo of this car and it had a non-stock hood ornament
              That's what I figured as well.

I also found this non-stock hood ornament for a Corvette:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sheep hood ornament.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1687665

Comment

Lots of things wrong with that Power Hawk illustration;

K Hardtop Body
                Non-Stock Hood Ornament
                1957 Wheel Covers
                Low hanging Muffler
                Aftermarket turn down Exhaust Extensions
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'd call it a pre Golden Hawk proposal, as it has a Packard engine listed.

Comment

Working...
                  X