Group 24 battery in 55 cars ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group 24 battery in 55 cars ?

Are the neg and pos posts kitty cornered from each other ,or both too one side from when the car left the factory ? thanks for your help .
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Hi Joe, A group 24 battery(12 volt) will have both negative and positive posts on one side of battery. If posts need to be reversed you would need a group 24F or sometimes referred to as group 24R.
    A kitty cornered posts battery are 6 volt, a group 1 or if space allows a heavier CCA amp group 2. There are 8 volt batteries built with kitty cornered posts as well, same size as a group 1, 6 volt battery.
    I believe most US built cars were 6 volt in 1955. The big change to 12 volt came in 1956.
    That said there were exceptions, my 1955 Packard 400 was 12 volt.
    Last edited by 57pack; 02-03-2014, 12:28 PM.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

A Group 24 battery is a 12 volt, and '55 Studebakers were 6 volt. That said, both the Group 24 and Group 24F had the posts on the same side of the battery. the Group 24F was for Ford products (and possibly some AMCs?) and the regular Group 24 fit most every other car that used a Group 24. There may have been a Group 24 sized battery available that had the posts "kitty cornered" but it would be unusual. This is from my recollection of selling batteries in the parts store way back when the Group 24s were real common. Others will have additional information to add, I'm sure.

Dave Bonn
      '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

The only 12 Volt ones I have seen without the Engine side or fender side type Posts are those made a few years ago by some Generic Brands that were universal 24 or 24F, they had the Posts centered on the side dimension.

A Group 24 Battery will not fit in a 6Volt Group 1 Battery Box, you add about an Inch to the length to fit them. Studebakers always have the (-) Post Forward and posts to the Engine, to properly fit correct cable lengths, hold downs and the Hood.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

R-24F = FoMoCo: 6 13/16" wide - 10 3/4" length at top - 8 61/64" high.

R-24G = GM/ChryCo: The terminals are reversed compared to R-24F
          Last edited by WinM1895; 02-03-2014, 06:22 PM.

Comment

The three biggest mechanical improvements between a '55 Commander (auto trans) and a '56 Commander (auto trans)?......1)The '56's 12 volt electrical system, 2) the '56's Flightomatic transmission, and 3) the '56's 12 volt electrical system!

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
              R-24F = FoMoCo: 6 13/16" wide - 10 3/4" length at top - 8 61/64" high.

R-24G = GM/ChryCo: The terminals are reversed compared to R-24F
              I am familiar with Groups 24, 24C and 24F. 24G must be a new terminology, at least for me.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

To answer the question from the original post,
                Yes.
                From the factory, Studebakers were 6 volt pos ground.
                The pos and neg posts were in opposite corners. [kitty corner]
                The 1955-1958 Chassis Parts Catalog shows a "Willard" battery.
                No B. C. I. [Battery Council International] Group Number given, just a Studebaker Part # 537823.
                Antiqueautobattery.com calls out their #G1W battery, Willard. 9"x6.75"x9". 550 cca [cold cranking amps]
                Interstatebatteries.com calls out their 1-VHD battery. 640 cca.
                The BCI Group 1 battery is close in size 9 1/8"x7 1/8"x 9 3/8"
                I've got a NAPA Commercial battery in my 55. BCI #1, 650 cca.
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Joe,....If You're going to drive it, DEFINITELY convert Your '55 to a dependable, modern, practical, no fuss, TWELVE VOLT ELECTRICAL SYSTEM! (After all, it is 2014)

Comment

Actually Ed,at one time My Father and I would foolishly talk of converting the champion too 12 volt - BUT WAIT,THERE'S MORE ! and stuff an R1 in .never could decide whether too keep it auto or go 4 speed but no changes on the outward appearance too the LITTLE PUDDLE JUMPER as We would call it. no this one is gonna tag along with the R1 Hawk this Spring,maybe there it will go 12 volts?
                    Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    Joe,....If You're going to drive it, DEFINITELY convert Your '55 to a dependable, modern, practical, no fuss, TWELVE VOLT ELECTRICAL SYSTEM! (After all, it is 2014)
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                      Actually Ed,at one time My Father and I would foolishly talk of converting the champion too 12 volt - BUT WAIT,THERE'S MORE ! and stuff an R1 in .never could decide whether too keep it auto or go 4 speed but no changes on the outward appearance too the LITTLE PUDDLE JUMPER as We would call it. no this one is gonna tag along with the R1 Hawk this Spring,maybe there it will go 12 volts?
                      Really Joe? TWO Studes are going for a boat ride?

Comment

Two two,two in one.
                        Originally posted by sn-60 View Post
                        really joe? Two studes are going for a boat ride?
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                          Two two,two in one.
                          Awesome!!

Comment

Working...
                          X