Removing the power streering from a 1962 lark V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Removing the power streering from a 1962 lark V8

I want to remove the power steering from my 1962 Lark. Will pulling the pump and disconnecting the power ram turn it into manual steering?
    I have a parts car for the manual pitman arm.

Thanks

You will need the steering box from that parts car. The ratios are different between PS steering boxes and manual boxes making it easier to parallel park.
    Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Thanks, Allen!

Jim

Comment

BTW Fixing the power steering pump and control valve is much easier than replacing the steering box, I changed my Lark's manual steering to power steering and had to change the steering box to a 20:1 vs the manual 24:1. Steering boxes are signified by the embossment on the side of the steering box ie: Type S , Type SL etc.

You may find re-building the steering box more challenging than fixing your power steering system.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
          You will need the steering box from that parts car. The ratios are different between PS steering boxes and manual boxes making it easier to parallel park.
          Allen
          This information is NOT correct. All '61 - '66 Lark types, with or with out power steering, used the 20:1 Type S steering boxes EXCEPT convertibles and sliding roof station wagons with manual steering, which used the 24:1 boxes.

Comment

My 63 Lark is a convertible, hence the change in steering box for power steering. My bad, if I steered you wrong. I'll check this out when I get back to my office and my manuals.
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Thanks, Jerry!

Comment

.........and if you go back to bias ply 6.70 x 15's on your Stude rims, you don't need PS at all......pricey, but looks much better than radials IMHO.......Now do we get into the "Driver's Club discussion".... ? On the few cars that I've had, and on all trucks, where my mileage was <1000 miles /yr, I use bias ply tires....Heck,, why the radials ? Trucks don't like radials anyway....I would put radials out back only....including snows...
                Last edited by jackb; 02-04-2014, 05:30 AM.

Comment

If the pipe plug requires a 3/8" or 7/16" wrench, it is a Ross box. If the plug near the very top of the box and requires a 1/2" or 9/16" wrench, its the better Saginaw unit. Saginaw ratio id; 24 to 1 has a zinc coated sector nut. 20 to 1 has a copper plated sector nut.
                  USASTUDE

Comment

Steering

Originally posted by Rocket442 View Post
                    If the pipe plug requires a 3/8" or 7/16" wrench, it is a Ross box. If the plug near the very top of the box and requires a 1/2" or 9/16" wrench, its the better Saginaw unit. Saginaw ratio id; 24 to 1 has a zinc coated sector nut. 20 to 1 has a copper plated sector nut.

Thanks for that information.

Comment

Hi Jim,
                      if you do remove your power steering set-up would you be interested in selling it to me, I am in Australia?
                      Regards Roger

Comment

Working...
                      X