VIN Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN Plates

While doing a frame off on my 63 Lark the VIN plates got sprayed lightly with the blaster. Does anyone repaint or repop these plates?
    THANKS

Originally posted by 00RACER View Post
    While doing a frame off on my 63 Lark the VIN plates got sprayed lightly with the blaster. Does anyone repaint or repop these plates?
    THANKS
    There's a previous thread on the forum asking about this. You should definitely consult with Your local RMV before reproducing VIN plates.

Comment

Nothing wrong with it legally as long as it's the same one for the same car. Only illegal if you are looking to 'deceive' someone. Keep the old plate and sell it with the car. I'd also get plenty of pictures of the plate on the car. Nothing wrong with removing it during a restoration.
      Last edited by Swifster; 02-01-2014, 07:34 AM.
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
        Nothing wrong with it legally as long as it's the same one for the same car. Only illegal if you are looking to 'deceive' someone. Keep the old plate and sell it with the car. I'd also get plenty of pictures of the plate on the car. Nothing wrong with removing it during a restoration.
        Well,....Good luck explaining THAT one at Barret-Jackson or a Mecum auction!!!

Comment

Nothing wrong with it on a restoration. I have both the serial number tag and the cowl tag pulled off my Daytona. Studebaker never painted under these. They have a lot of surface rust underneath both tags. Probably worse on northern cars. The serial number tag can always be rewelded back on the car. As for Barrett-Jackson, I'm sure you have to worry about it...
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Nothing wrong with it on a restoration. I have both the serial number tag and the cowl tag pulled off my Daytona. Studebaker never painted under these. They have a lot of surface rust underneath both tags. Probably worse on northern cars. The serial number tag can always be rewelded back on the car. As for Barrett-Jackson, I'm sure you have to worry about it...
            As a licensed auto appraiser for the Commonwealth Of Massachusetts, I STRONGLY suggest a visit to Your State RMV before reproducing VIN plates. (as per poster's original question)

Comment

The FEDS have guidelines. And as a licensed auto appraiser for the State of Florida, I can tell you I've already checked the guidelines. There are a couple of companies reproducing tags for GM, Ford and Chrysler. There is a company in Missouri reprinting newer style VIN decals required for all '68 and newer cars. There is a company reproducing fender tags for GM, Ford and Chrysler. Documentation is key. So is knowledge Ed.

EDIT: Pulling VIN plates to restore a vehicle is not illegal. Retagging a car from one car to another is illegal. Making a car something it isn't is illegal. In some cases (depending on the state), it isn't illegal until you avoid state sales tax. See Boyd Coddington.
              Last edited by Swifster; 02-01-2014, 09:21 AM.
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

[QUOTE=Swifster;

EDIT: Pulling VIN plates to restore a vehicle is not illegal. [/QUOTE]

Tell THAT to the owner of a high-end Ferrari!!!!
                Last edited by SN-60; 02-01-2014, 09:43 AM.

Comment

We have used the "repro" VIN deals that are on all new cars, GM, Ford and Chrysler put them on the doors, these contain not only the vin number, but the date is was produced, and the MDH (manufacturer Date Hour) We are required to send in a photo of the damaged vehicle, with the vin tag visable. A clear photo of the tag, and we reciece the decal back via overnight mail.
                  Once we had a BMW that we needed one, that was a part available from BMW only! It took six weeks.
                  As long as there is no intention of fraud, there is not a problem.

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                    We have used the "repro" VIN deals that are on all new cars, GM, Ford and Chrysler put them on the doors, these contain not only the vin number, but the date is was produced, and the MDH (manufacturer Date Hour) We are required to send in a photo of the damaged vehicle, with the vin tag visable. A clear photo of the tag, and we reciece the decal back via overnight mail.
                    Once we had a BMW that we needed one, that was a part available from BMW only! It took six weeks.
                    As long as there is no intention of fraud, there is not a problem.

Jim
                    You're saying "repro VIN DECALS" in Your first sentence aren't You 52 Ragtop?

Comment

These are exact copies of the decals, NOT the one on the dash. They are not available from the manufacturer.

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

52 Ragtop,...What You've told us is very interesting.....If anything it shows the pains that are taken today to 'get things right'. Kind of validates My point that the well meaning 'Do It Yourselfer' should check in with his particular state's RMV to make sure what he's doing is legal.

Comment

Yes, if you are looking to defraud someone, check with your state. Nothing in this tread indicates fraud. And I'm sure Jim and I used the same company for the VIN decals. The VIN plates are made by someone else and is completely legal.
                          Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

If you just need the decal the only place I found was Studebaker Queensland.You may want to order quickly,The latest ad said he was closing March 1st and there is a cut-off for US orders.

Comment

Yes, if you are looking to defraud someone, check with your state. Nothing in this tread indicates fraud. And I'm sure Jim and I used the same company for the VIN decals. The VIN plates are made by someone else and is completely legal.
                              Ignorance of the law doesn't usually hold up in court....Be smart and check with Your state RMV on this question

Comment

Working...
                              X