Commander Brake Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Commander Brake Drums

What do brake drums from a 1958 Commander Provincial go for?
    Here is some updated info. I'm trying to find out the value of front drums (off a 1958 Commander Provincial). I won't be needing the drums or brake hardware. The drums are smooth sided and 11".
    Attached Files
    Last edited by studepack; 02-03-2014, 03:00 PM. Reason: updated info with pictures

New? For the Commander? $200-$250.
    Used? From the Commander? Just a little more than scrap value, or maybe twice scrap value.
    If you are parting one out, the front brake shoes are a no longer available item and should not be discarded. They can be re-lined but, they cannot be purchased new.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I actually have a set of front drums along with the shoes and hardware in good condition (decent lining left) along with the brake hardware. I'm just trying to get an idea of their value.

Comment

are you talking about 11" fin drums or 10'' non fin? big difference.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
          are you talking about 11" fin drums or 10'' non fin? big difference.
          Different but interchangeable...(per axle)

Comment

As the car is a commander, it should have a V8 and these drums should be the smooth style and fit all V8 cars 54-66. Value will depend on how much meat is left on them. 58 still had left and right lug nuts while 59 and on had all right hand threads.
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              Different but interchangeable...(per axle)
              Finned drums were optional heavy duty(except for Presidents). All v8 rear drums after 54 were 10" The finned ones didn't show up untill the 56 model year. Except for disc brake cars,which were 11". Disc brakes didn't come out untill 1963, so a 58 would have 10" smooth drums as standard, 10" finned as optional
              Last edited by bezhawk; 02-02-2014, 01:04 PM.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

As mentioned before, for a 'driver', finned or smooth is irrelevant nowadays....just use the 'healthiest' ones that you can find, and don't mix the two types on the same axle.

Comment

Updated info.

Comment

Would you know the part number on these and if they would fit on a 59 4E7? I have a drum that has cracked and trying to find replacements for the front. Thanks

Comment

Sorry no chance of ANY Car drums fitting a Truck. Among other things the Wheel Bolt pattern on a Truck is larger than the 4 1/2 Inch bolt circle of '51 and later Cars.

The good news is; the Truck Drums are all 11 Inch all 4, of course with different Hubs Front to Rear, are pretty much the same '49 to '64 on Model 5's, 6's and 7's (1/2 Ton).

Without being able to read the fine lines on the Ruler, the OP Drums look like over .060 or .080 oversize AND need Turning, mostly good only for the Hubs.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 02-27-2014, 11:36 AM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

thanks for the good info.

Comment

I beg to differ on the drum swap truck to car..... If you have the 1/2 ton Champ truck up to 1962, you can use Commander 1951 and maybe up as a direct swap. I think I have a few in the basement with the surfaces painted.....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                            I beg to differ on the drum swap truck to car..... If you have the 1/2 ton Champ truck up to 1962, you can use Commander 1951 and maybe up as a direct swap. I think I have a few in the basement with the surfaces painted.....
                            NOPE, only a '47-'50 Commander "BIG CAR" Drum or Wheel will work.

The Commander Cars, Wheels etc. were downsized in 1951.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 02-27-2014, 04:42 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Back in the 70's I had a 60 champ truck with the V-8 and 3 speed with overdrive and a 427 TT rear end all good except I didn't like the brakes and wheels so I changed out to 11" fins up front backing plates and all did the same in the back but used 10" fins and backing plates, that way I ran car wheels and 15" 64 wheel covers, when I changed the engine to a 413 chry. with the push button torkflight I also went to the chry. rear end and could still the wheels and covers.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X