Studebaker / DKW Connection ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker / DKW Connection ???

I just ran across this ad for the DKW 800. It was in the June 1963 Canada & Traffic magazine.

Does anyone know more about the connection?

Leonard Shepherd

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR
    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Dick
      Mountain Home, AR
      http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

The importers of the Mercs also imported DKW and Auto Union in the 1960s in Canada and the US. Studebaker also brokered VWs in Canada and almost got a Japanese company too (I think it was to be Toyota?). Remember that these were the days of independent importers, not the strong US divisions of today.

Actually, checking with Mercedes of Canada's website shows that Studebaker handled Merc from 1962 - 1965.

Garrett

Comment

The importers of the Mercs also imported DKW and Auto Union in the 1960s in Canada and the US. Studebaker also brokered VWs in Canada and almost got a Japanese company too (I think it was to be Toyota?). Remember that these were the days of independent importers, not the strong US divisions of today.

Actually, checking with Mercedes of Canada's website shows that Studebaker handled Merc from 1962 - 1965.

Garrett

Comment

I had two uncles that worked at Clarke sanding back in the 6o's and they were a sub of Studebaker. Through the plant they were offered these dkw's for about 900 bucks if I recall so they all had them as they gave them a good payment plan through work and most of them also drove studebakers.

62 GT Hawk
            84 vette
            31 Ford Pickup

Comment

I had two uncles that worked at Clarke sanding back in the 6o's and they were a sub of Studebaker. Through the plant they were offered these dkw's for about 900 bucks if I recall so they all had them as they gave them a good payment plan through work and most of them also drove studebakers.

62 GT Hawk
              84 vette
              31 Ford Pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Spule 4

<snippage>
                The Japanese outfit was Prince, you won't find any dealers with that name over the door but they're thriving as a separate operating unit inside Nissan. Among other things, they build all the Z-cars.
                In approximately mid-'66 the Japanese government made Prince and several other small manufacturers merge with bigger players over stated concerns about the small builders vulnerability to foreign takeover, when you consider the timeframe when Studebaker was sniffing around this certainly *was'nt* any coincidence

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Spule 4

<snippage>
                  The Japanese outfit was Prince, you won't find any dealers with that name over the door but they're thriving as a separate operating unit inside Nissan. Among other things, they build all the Z-cars.
                  In approximately mid-'66 the Japanese government made Prince and several other small manufacturers merge with bigger players over stated concerns about the small builders vulnerability to foreign takeover, when you consider the timeframe when Studebaker was sniffing around this certainly *was'nt* any coincidence

Comment

When Studebaker became the first US Auto manufacturer to ink and import agreement for the import of European cars to the US the agreement included three (3) brands. Mercedes Benz, DKW and Auto-Union. These three brands gave a Studebaker dealer the opportunity to sell four (4) brands instead of just one. While the perdominate brad was Mercedes and ulitimately was the most successful one they did import DKW and Auto-Union cars for at least the first three years.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

When Studebaker became the first US Auto manufacturer to ink and import agreement for the import of European cars to the US the agreement included three (3) brands. Mercedes Benz, DKW and Auto-Union. These three brands gave a Studebaker dealer the opportunity to sell four (4) brands instead of just one. While the perdominate brad was Mercedes and ulitimately was the most successful one they did import DKW and Auto-Union cars for at least the first three years.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                      X