Offy Intake and Holley carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offy Intake and Holley carb

I have inherited an Offenhauser aluminum intake with a Holley carb. It is definitely a Studebaker intake. Both are dirty but not broken or marred up. The manifold only had 1 stud holding the carb on but I can't see any damaged threads. I cannot vouch for the carb but it appears to be very old and it's bolt pattern matches the intake. I have no purpose for them and want to sell them. I thought perhaps someone on the forum might be interested in them.
    Stude RookieClick image for larger version

Name:	Offy intake 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1742442Click image for larger version

Name:	Offy intake 002.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1742443Click image for larger version

Name:	Offy intake 001.jpg
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1742444

You'll be inundated with offers on the manilfold. They're much sought after.

FWIW, the Holley carburetor is the infamous 'tea-kettle' used on mid-50s Fords and much more valuable to restorers of same than it would be to any Studebaker builder.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

That's an old Holley 'Birdbath' 4bbl carb.
      Might be worth more to a Ford guy than a Stude guy.

Your intake looks real nice. Someone, at one time or another drilled it for the four corner intake bolts.
      (Most Offy intakes like that were held down with the bars only).

(Not too worried about your hood paint, huh?)
      Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 01-30-2014, 12:46 PM. Reason: To correct ID error
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

What do you have to have for them? Im interested.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          That's an old Autolite 'Birdbath' 4bbl carb.
          Might be worth more to a Ford guy than a Stude guy.

Your intake looks real nice. Someone, at one time or another drilled it for the four corner intake bolts.
          (Most Offy intakes like that were held down with the bars only).

(Not too worried about your hood paint, huh?)
          Jeff, look close. That hood doesn't have any paint on it.
          Stude Rookie

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
            What do you have to have for them? Im interested.
            I am not sure about pricing, north of $300.00 for sure. I will entertain offers and paypal is my friend

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Rookie View Post
              Jeff, look close. That hood doesn't have any paint on it.
              Stude Rookie
              The carb says Holley on it

Comment

Besides the savings in weight, and the 'cool' factor, I wonder if there is any performance advantage in this intake over a stock Stude cast iron type? Also, would this Offy intake be 'small port' to match 232 CI type heads?

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Rookie View Post
                  The carb says Holley on it
                  Interesting carburetor..

While developed for the 1956 Ford's

This carburetor is what is used on the Supercharged "F" code 312 engines.. The SC Bonnet covered the top and sealed at the mid base ring. In a sense it was like having the carburetor in a box like the R3.

A complicated carburetor to rebuild and if one does not know why they used a dual stage vacuum advance would have a difficult time making it work on a Stude distributor.

Also has vacuum secondaries. One would assume that under boost they would close, BUT there is a plastic check ball that will divert pressure to the other side of the diaphragm and keep the secondaries open while being regulated by throttle position..

Oh.. Second car I restored.. 1956 Sunliner w/factory 312 and 4 bbl tea-pot Holley carburetor.
                  (Originally Bermuda Blue and Colonial White)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    Besides the savings in weight, and the 'cool' factor, I wonder if there is any performance advantage in this intake over a stock Stude cast iron type? Also, would this Offy intake be 'small port' to match 232 CI type heads?
                    This Offy intake was built specifically for the 232 Stude engine.
                    The Offy port size is small, so it is best from idle to 4,000 some rpm.
                    There will not be a performance advantage on a 259/289 in the original Offy form, but some can be gained with some work.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

I posted my intake for sale on E-Bay yesterday Feb 11th. Not being the most savvy (no experience at all) user of this selling machine, it would seem that I have not posted it in the correct categories for good exposure to Studebaker enthusiasts. Being the kindly souls (soulless) entity that they are E-Bay would not let me relist in the proper categories because I had received a bid. If anyone on the forum should be interested, look for Offenhauser aluminum intake for Studebaker V8s in the categories, "collectibles" or "advertisement". Sometimes you have to pay the price for ignorance, probably my turn. Thanks,
                      Stude Rookie

Comment

Here's a link to your auction.....

http://tinyurl.com/Offy-Stude-Intake

Jeff

Comment

Good call on ebaying that intake. You'll get many more lookers than you will here. There has been one for sale for years down in So Calif. He's been asking $500 for it on craigslist. I'm not saying its not worth that price, but you're really limiting your exposure on CL. I would not be surprised if yours gets about $500 or even more on ebay. Good luck.
                          sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                            Good call on ebaying that intake. You'll get many more lookers than you will here. There has been one for sale for years down in So Calif. He's been asking $500 for it on craigslist. I'm not saying its not worth that price, but you're really limiting your exposure on CL. I would not be surprised if yours gets about $500 or even more on ebay. Good luck.
                            I most certainly like your prognostication sals54. I could use a little luck. I hope to have my 54 in some kind of running order by this time next year.
                            Stude Rookie

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                              Here's a link to your auction.....

http://tinyurl.com/Offy-Stude-Intake
                              Thank you Jeff for all that you have done for me. It is truly appreciated. God willing, someday I will repay.
                              Stude Rookie

Comment

Working...
                              X