Gear Assy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Gear Assy

I have a '64 Daytona. Most of the power steering equipment is missing. The parts book makes it seem that the Saginaw gear in '59 only. No other power steering gears are listed. How do I tell what power steering gear I have? What differences are there in the steering column?
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

You have the late type Saginaw Recirculating Ball Type Steering gear used on all '61 to '66 Larks and Lark Types. You will not find a better Stock one than that.

What you hear about people wanting the old type '60 and earlier Manual Saginaw Steering Gear is to replace a really bad leaky Ross Box. But these Saginaw's are NOT as good as yours.

So far I have been pretty much talking MANUAL Steering Gears. There WAS an old Saginaw Built-in the Gearbox Power Steering used back in '54 to '57, it is a HUGE, heavy, Clunky Unit protruding into the passenger Compartment. Unfortunately if you had an older Car with it already installed I would say "Keep it", because it too is a very good unit, just not something you want to try to convert to fit a '64.

Your Power Steering setup would be a Bendix Type with the Control Valve replacing the Reach Rod, a "Ram" slave Power Cylinder up front to turn the Bellcrank ala. Ford. If you have other than a Convertible or Wagonaire the Steering Gear you have is the same for Manual and Power so you will not have to disturb it at all.

This is really a lot to explain the Differences, much easier to understand by looking at the Pictures in the '59-'64 Chassis Parts Catalog. Look in the "Bendix Power Steering" Section.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-30-2014, 02:09 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
    X