1950 2R5 Temp Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: 1950 2R5 Temp Gauge

I recently purchased a 1950 2R5 and the original temp gauge does not work, an aftermarket gauge is installed under the dash but I really want to get the original gauge working again. When I opened the hood I noticed the temp gauge is there but it looks like someone cut the sending unit about 4" from the gauge. Does anyone know if the original gauge is a mechanical type gauge with a capillary tube with a bulb at the end? Can these be repaired? and are there still replacement gauges around?

Scroll down to the thread titled "modern gages in R5 truck???" with the last post on 1/26. There is some info in there.

Comment

Originally posted by mn1500 View Post
      I recently purchased a 1950 2R5 and the original temp gauge does not work, an aftermarket gauge is installed under the dash but I really want to get the original gauge working again. When I opened the hood I noticed the temp gauge is there but it looks like someone cut the sending unit about 4" from the gauge. Does anyone know if the original gauge is a mechanical type gauge with a capillary tube with a bulb at the end? Can these be repaired? and are there still replacement gauges around?
      You might better be served by visiting the Studebaker Truck Talk Forum. Lots of us truck owners over there. There are companys that can repair and restore the gauge at considerable expense. There are NOS and used gauges out there.
      Bo

Comment

Bo, I am new to this site and forums in general, is the Studebaker truck talk forum on this site or is it another website?
        Thanks,
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mn1500 View Post
          Bo, I am new to this site and forums in general, is the Studebaker truck talk forum on this site or is it another website?
          Thanks,
          Mike
          A forum for any messages related to Studebaker Trucks

Click onto the above address
          Bo

Comment

Thanks again

Comment

Slightly off subject (a dreaded Chevrolet gauge) but; I have a temperature gauge for my '49 Chevy and it is a mechanical gauge with a capillary tube. I have put the bulb in water and boiled the water and the gauge doesn't move. Does someone know of a place that can repair this type of gauge (in the Los Angeles area, please)? Thanks.
              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

LMC truck sells them for $75. They are in their online catalog.

Comment

Working...
                X