Forced to work on my Avanti's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced to work on my Avanti's

My garage door broke and the repair man informed me that they could not repair the door with my cars in the garage. So we sent one off to storage and kept the "resto rod" Avanti, I put it on rollers and spun it around in the garage. Now they have motivated me to finishing this car to become my driver again. I have owned the black car since 1982 and it had a Chevy engine when I purchased it. The turquoisecar was bought new in 1963 and has a great family history. I guess I should thank them for making motivating me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2659.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1742418Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2667.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1742419Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2479.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1742420. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2652.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1742415Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2665.jpg
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1742416Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2662.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1742417
    Last edited by hausdok; 01-28-2014, 05:53 PM.
    mrbobinc

Wow Bob!.....You have two beautiful cars there.......MUCHO POTENTIAL!!!!

Comment

Bob, Good luck on getting both of those cars back on the road. What year is the black II? It looks to be an early one - 67-71 or 72?
      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

It looks like it will be fun trying to go down those stairs for awhile! Those are both BEAUTIFUL, you definitely need to finish them.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Both cars are 64's, R5051 and R5487.
          mrbobinc

Comment

A broken garage door or a blessing in disguise?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              It looks like it will be fun trying to go down those stairs for awhile! Those are both BEAUTIFUL, you definitely need to finish them.
              Going down the stairs is easy it's going up that is becoming difficult. It am embarrassed to tell you how long each car has been apart. They will be finished this year.
              mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by 53commander View Post
                A broken garage door or a blessing in disguise?
                It is a blessing. The turquoise car was in your neck of the woods back in 1963 -65. I had a Aunt who lived in Hampton and Washington, New Jersey.
                The car was purchased in Fairview, New Jersey on 10-24-1963. Somethings are hard to get rid of.

Bob Caser
                mrbobinc

Comment

Bob, I would comment on how long they've been apart but my Barracuda has been apart 14 years. I had fun riding around LA in the black car.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando66 View Post
                    Bob, I would comment on how long they've been apart but my Barracuda has been apart 14 years. I had fun riding around LA in the black car.
                    Birds of a feather flock together. You saw the black car at the Nationals in Estes Park and tried to talk me out of my AM-FM Radio. I do not believe you even had a drivers license at that time much less a car. These cars are my "Kellogg" legacy cars. Tom and I drove all over So-Cal in the black car to go to lunch and other car functions. The turquoise cars restoration became a collaboration between Tom and the body shop owner, with me paying the bills. Great memories, stay well, Mike and keep in touch.

Best regards
                    Bob
                    mrbobinc

Comment

Cool wheels on the black Avanti - what are they?

Comment

Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
                        Cool wheels on the black Avanti - what are they?
                        They are Hayashi "Talon "wheels that were made in Japan, I bought them back in 1984. They are unusual and were more popular in a 4 lug pattern.
                        mrbobinc

Comment

Bob
                          Good luck with your projects as they are more fun to drive than stare at in the garage for me. Thanks for helping me get my Dad's '64 back on the road. I'm close to Washington,NJ. I wonder what dealership sold the Avanti.
                          Rob in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
                            Bob
                            Good luck with your projects as they are more fun to drive than stare at in the garage for me. Thanks for helping me get my Dad's '64 back on the road. I'm close to Washington,NJ. I wonder what dealership sold the Avanti.
                            Rob in PA.
                            The turquoise car was bought from Bendix Motors in Fairview , New Jersey. It was a tiny dealership that came on board at the end of Studebaker's history,it is now a pizza store.
                            mrbobinc

Comment

Did you restore an R2 to the black one in place of the Chevy?

Comment

Working...
                              X