No announcement yet.

Was the Rockne just a reworked Erskine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was the Rockne just a reworked Erskine?

Looking at the book, "The Studebaker Century," by Asa E. Hall and Richard M. Langworth the Erskine had a suicide door configuration for the 4 door model which is essentially almost identical to the Rockne 4 door model. The Erskine production ran from 1927 through 1930. The wheel base ranged from 109 inch to 114 inch for the Erskine. The Rockne production started in 1932 and ran until July 1934. The wheelbase ranged from 110 to 114 inch. The engines were similar too and both Continental and Studebaker engines never changed very much.

The question I have is, "Was the Rockne just a reworked Erskine?" Studebaker had quite a history of making changes to existing models like the progression of the Hawk to the Grand Turismo which lead buyer they were getting a new car. The lark progression into the Champ truck is another clever creation of a new car/truck from old parts.

Thanx,
    Todd

Hardly!
    The Rockne was an entirely new automobile designed by independent engineers Ralph Vail and Roy Cole in 1930 for Willys-Overland.
    The Wikipedia entry is pretty factual.

The very best article about the Rocknes was researched and authored by Terry Cannon and can be found in the ANTIQUE STUDEBAKER REVIEW, Volume 3, Number 4 of Nov-Dec, 1973.
    Last edited by rockne10; 01-26-2014, 06:10 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

welcome to the forum, Todd!

"rockne10" is very knowledgeable about such things, so i would "take it to the bank" for his accuracy regarding antique Studebakers. maybe Mr. Quinn can also verify...
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Contact Larry Tholen of the Rockne Registry.
        He is the keeper of all things Rockne.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Yes, no connection between the Erskine and Rockne. Unless of course you consider they are both named after people who worked for Studebaker at one time!?
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Hardly!
            The Rockne was an entirely new automobile designed by independent engineers Ralph Vail and Roy Cole in 1930 for Willys-Overland.

The very best article about the Rocknes was researched and authored by Terry Cannon and can be found in the ANTIQUE STUDEBAKER REVIEW, Volume 3, Number 4 of Nov-Dec, 1973.
            Gee, I wonder whether I'm somehow related to Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              Hardly!

Gee, I wonder whether I'm somehow related to Ralph.

Todd: I went to BGSU from 86-88 for my MA in Popular Culture. Too bad they tore down the old "pop culture house." It was an old Sears and Roebuck kit house from the 1930s.

Comment

Mark-
                I am from Bowling Green and I teach at BGSU. Presently, I am a Professor of Engineering Technologies and the interim chair of that Department. I had a newspaper route as a kid delivering papers to the sororities and fraternities on campus. I got my bachelor's and master's degrees from BGSU and after teaching for a couple of years at Georgia Southern College [now university] got my Ph.D. at the University of Toledo which must remain quiet during football, basketball, and pretty much any other sport especially hockey. I started teaching at BGSU in 1987. I used to drive my M5 Studebaker Truck to school one in a while back then. We really lost a treasure in the Prout [former BGSU president's house] which was as you say a Sears and Roebuck Kit house, but we are under more-and-more pressure for modern and nice facilities to recruit students. I do feel for you popular culture graduates as this was your home at BGSU.
                Thanx,
                Todd

Comment

Working...
                X