Removal of steering box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Removal of steering box

This is on a 63 cruiser V8 with power steering & brakes.It looks almost impossible to
    get the pitman arm off.The book says to use tool #J5664.Has any one removed a
    steering box from a car like this or have a tool with that number I can borrow or
    rent thanks for any help in this.

yes...... what I did was to buy a tie rod end remover (?). Its a U-shaped puller type tool for removing ends and knuckles vs. a pickle fork. To get it to fit in that tight spot, I cut just enough off of the screw to fit in there and you tighten down just as per instructions. I made a flat cut and if you're careful and patient with it.....works great.....

Comment

I used this tool to remove the pitman arm when I changed the steering box on my 63 Lark build. Plenty of room in there when you remove the starter. My tie rod end remover was appears shorter than the one shown here. Edit: this tool to buy is under $10. The design of this tool allows you to screw in the bolt to slip in under the pitman arm and clear the engine block by an inch and a half.

Allen
      Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 01-25-2014, 09:38 AM.
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I've used my local parts store to rent this for free. I think Harbor Freight also sells them. If it doesn't pop loose on the first try you can squirt some PB Blaster both on and behind the arm, crank the puller down tight, and let it sit overnight. The combination of constant pressure and lube will occasionally force it loose.

Comment

Here's a shot of the one Allen shows above. Gives you an idea of how it works and room it takes.

Comment

Tighten it down and give the screw a good rap with your 5# mallet. Always loosen the nut and leave it on just to protect your teeth when the pitman pops free.

Comment

This is one of those jobs that seem impossible and takes a while to accomplish, but the next time it seems to be a piece of cake!!!

Comment

Working...
              X